Thread: mexico

Default mexico

we are there for 10 days, and wondering if any of you locals know of anywhere in Mexico we could drive to. Is Mexicali any good? I havent heard to many good things about it.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: mexico

I would say go to Rocky Point, it's about 3 hours south of Phoenix. probably 6 hours from Indio. Maybe there is somewhere closer but Rocky Point is cool because you get beaches.

dont care about beaches really...just something safe enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BriAnne View Post
    we are there for 10 days, and wondering if any of you locals know of anywhere in Mexico we could drive to. Is Mexicali any good? I havent heard to many good things about it.
    Most mexican border towns either suck or are pretty ugly and dangerous, like Mexicalli or Tijuana.
    If you really want to come to Mexico I recomend you plan a separate trip, and go to Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guanajuato or even Mexico city.

Banned

dont care about beaches really...just something safe enough.
    mexicali is great if you want to get hookers and drink(if you underage). Plus you can get ketamine in the pharmacies if thats your thing.

i havent tried to buy ketamine, but mexican pharmacies have bunk pain killers they sell to tourists. border towns pretty much suck unless you collect blankets and sombreros.

If you're going to the south, definitely go for artgutser's advice. I'm from Mexico and after going to all the places mentioned there - Guanajuato is my favorite city. Small alleys, lots of people walking on the street, old buildings, local music + arts scene, the whole deal.

Oaxaca is its own mini-country with pyramids, great cuisine, great folk music with marching band instruments, markets with crickets that you eat and random people speaking in Zapotec on the street (Zapotec are the local Indian people from Oaxaca). Very cool. There have been some social protests there recently so just check the news and your comfort level before going.

If you plan on staying in the north, I've heard great things about Can del Cobre (Copper Canyon) - it's a railroad trip with great scenery along the desert, you hit small towns with Tarahumara Indians... I'm thinking about doing this trip myself in the next couple of years.

The starting point isn't THAT close to Coachella but you could drive there if that's your thing

Google 'Copper Canyon' and you'll get tons of hits with more info.

im from mexicali which is 2 hours away, its great fi u want to go to bars or clubs at nite, very safe, it depends where you go.. but if u want something more wild i recommend you to go to rosarito or ensenada, in baja california..about 4 hours away from indio..

tijuana!
    as predicted by nostradamus

Wink Re: mexico

nah dont hit mexicali! instead shoot over to TJ and check it out there... dont take your car across though... you can park your car on the US side and take like a $2 bus across the border and just party in the clubs stay in a room and take the $2 bus back in the morning... the cops down there look for cars w/US plates to sweat... the last time i went down there and partied was before this years new mandatory passport laws tho -shrugs- i dont know how this has affected the $2 busses... they have parking lots to park your car and catch the bus where the 5 freeway hits the border... have fun & be safe
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

The passport laws are only in effect for air-travel right now...they go into effect for ground travel next year...

But yeah...TJ is the place...but like they said before, park on the US side.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Mexicali was surprising for me. It's much larger than expected at around 850,000 people. I didn't really go out to the bars or clubs so I can't comment on that but there was plenty of great food. And a surprising amount of Chinese restaurants.

And not that this is relevant but if one wants to go to a beach on the Gulf of California from the state of California it's much closer to go to San Felipe than to Rocky Point. They are across the Gulf from each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

AND San Felipe is the shiznit. Check the "post your picture" thread for pics of my and my brother there. GREAT food...GREAT relaxing beaches...small town feel even though the place has exploded in size since I first started going there back in like '86.

-- J
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Go to Tijuana, it's the happiest place on earth!!! or at least the say so...

Definately visit San Felipe if you are looking for beautiful sunsets and calm water beaches....and jet ski and quad fun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    AND San Felipe is the shiznit. Check the "post your picture" thread for pics of my and my brother there. GREAT food...GREAT relaxing beaches...small town feel even though the place has exploded in size since I first started going there back in like '86.

-- J

Quote Originally Posted by artgutser View Post
    or even Mexico city.
    mexico city.. safe??????????? yeah right

go to rosarito or ensenada baja california. great seafood and lots of partying to do. don't drink the liquor there unless its top shelf, that shit will kill you. no joke.