Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open letter on the ROXXANE scam

Lurker

Default Open letter on the ROXXANE scam

Dear golden voice,
    I am writing this open letter about the pre-sale for Coachella this year. Yes, the pre-sale that had the word ROXANNE as the password. You know as well as everyone else who saw that word as the password assumed that the Police would be playing the festival this year. So far there has been no confirmation of this either by Goldenvoice or members of The Police. This has been an extreme let down so far.

Let me say that if Coachella comes and goes this year without the Police then this will one of the biggest scams i have ever seen at the expense of music fans. I really hope you have not duped us into buying tickets to see a band that does not show up. If it is then let us know now and come clean.

Coachella every year has come through. I think a lot of that has to do with the strong team Goldenvoice has to put the shows together for an audience that has a strong respect for the music. Please don't let us down. It's time to let us know.

Thanks.

AMG

Default Re: Open letter on the ROXXANE scam

they aren't coming, get over it.

word (get over it)

Lurker

it's a scam then right?

The police WILL be there, just in case anything gets out of hand. If this weren't true, criminals would be free to run amok, and we don't want that, do we?

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mexica73 View Post
    it's a scam then right?

You know what happens, when you AssUMe don't you?
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

*sigh*

I would be upset, except the lineup is better than the Police.

I'm not a big Police fan and I do think that GV do a fantastic job with Coachella but if they were doing this for a laugh, then it wasn't well thought out.

It was definitely misleading to a lot of people who really wanted to see the Police and rightly knew that when actual Police shows were announced they would likely sell out very, very fast.

The only consolation for Police fans who bought Coachella tickets is that they're going to make a killing selling those three day passes to out of luck Rage fans.

vinylmartyr

I think it was clever. They probably knew the Police were booked for Bonnaroo.

Quote Originally Posted by offyerhead View Post
    The only consolation for Police fans who bought Coachella tickets is that they're going to make a killing selling those three day passes to out of luck Rage fans.
    This is a good point. No one was screwed over, because if you don't want to go you can choose to scalp your tickets for twice their face value.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    I think it was clever. They probably knew the Police were booked for Bonnaroo.
    it wasn't clever, it was deceptive.

there's no way to get around the fact that coachella intentionally deceived people into buying tickets.

now i could care less about the police, so i was not personally deceived. but the fact remains that many people were misled into buying tickets.

(...sending out an S.O.S.....sending out...)

yeah, I think this was a really lame thing to do. it's like if they had made the password "evil empire" amidst the rage rumors and then never booked them.

of course, its so easy to sell these tickets for cash....I don't think it works out so bad.

i'm going to catch the police at bonaroo, so no biggie

Deceiving people into a purchase of several hundred dollars is not validated just because re-selling the tickets becomes an option.

suppose a few Police also quickly booked (non-refundable) plane tickets to Coachella?

It just wasn't a classy move any way you look at it.

Kind of hard to sell them when you don't get them only a couple of weeks in advance of Coachella.

Now, I am keeping my tickets and like the lineup, but I agree that it was a real shady thing to use Roxanne as the password.

good point about the ticket selling. How can you possibly complain about the presale password? Ok so you bought a ticket thinking the police were gonna play. Now you find out they aren't so you sell your ticket on ebay and make triple or quadruple what you paid for it. You should thank goldenvoice for making you some cash. In fact you could probably use that cash to buy a ticket to a police show and end up going for free. So whats the problem?

oh noes now you get to make a profit on ebay. what a tragedy.

vinylmartyr

So this is the lesson you have learned and we have told people many times on the board. Don't just assume someone is gonna play. When the lineup is posted on Coachella.com will know who is playing for sure. Seriously if the Police was the only reason you were gonna go to Coachella you should just stay home. I think it was a sound business decision to use "Roxanne" as the pasword.

vinylmartyr

Do you remember how much trouble that poster caused? Maybe they were paying us back a little.

No one ever said that they were playing, making a presale password ROXANNE doesn't mean they were playing. Purchasing tickets prior to the line up specifically indicates the purchasers knowledge that they are in for whatever happens. There was no deceit. If the presale password was THELIGHT, that wouldn't mean The Smiths were coming back... your assumption, your bad.

Deceiving people into a purchase of several hundred dollars is not validated just because re-selling the tickets becomes an option.

suppose a few Police also quickly booked (non-refundable) plane tickets to Coachella?

It just wasn't a classy move any way you look at it.
    ...I'm with you on this....except booking plane tickets on account of a presale password all starts to seem to be a bit much, no?

Was the password chosen randomly?

Would a reasonable music fan associate Roxanne with something else? Maybe Cyrano De Bergerac?

Have past passwords been associated with major acts that were not on the bill?

I'm not saying there should be compensation, but it does seem like the password was chosen to be misleading.

Why?

I'm not really sure.

I concur in that I would not have gone to their stage while they were playing while they were there, but Goldenvoice chose the past word. I can't imagine it was randomly selected. It seems to be selected to poke fun at the rumors. But to what end? It comes across as adolecent. Just like the defense of "Just scalp your tickets and stop whining."

Scalping tickets takes some amount of effort, and if you consider it a business proposition, then I kind of despise you.

Quote Originally Posted by sighlent View Post
    No one ever said that they were playing, making a presale password ROXANNE doesn't mean they were playing. Purchasing tickets prior to the line up specifically indicates the purchasers knowledge that they are in for whatever happens. There was no deceit. If the presale password was THELIGHT, that wouldn't mean The Smiths were coming back... your assumption, your bad.
    If they had said the Police were playing, that would've been lying outright.
    They intimated they were playing, that's deceptive.

The could have picked a neutral word for the password and they chose to pick one that suggested the Police were playing.

Most people probably weren't affected irreversibly but I'll bet there's a few who have some unrefundable airline tickets they bought on the basis of thinking they were going to get to see the Police.

Quote Originally Posted by mexica73 View Post
    Dear golden voice,
    I am writing this open letter about the pre-sale for Coachella this year. Yes, the pre-sale that had the word ROXANNE as the password. You know as well as everyone else who saw that word as the password assumed that the Police would be playing the festival this year. So far there has been no confirmation of this either by Goldenvoice or members of The Police. This has been an extreme let down so far.

Let me say that if Coachella comes and goes this year without the Police then this will one of the biggest scams i have ever seen at the expense of music fans. I really hope you have not duped us into buying tickets to see a band that does not show up. If it is then let us know now and come clean.

Coachella every year has come through. I think a lot of that has to do with the strong team Goldenvoice has to put the shows together for an audience that has a strong respect for the music. Please don't let us down. It's time to let us know.

Thanks.

AMG
    Just sell your tickets and shut up. If you bought plane tickets as well, than a)your stupid and b) just double the price of the tickets to make up for the plane trip...NEXT!

If they had said the Police were playing, that would've been lying outright.
    They intimated they were playing, that's deceptive.

The could have picked a neutral word for the password and they chose to pick one that suggested the Police were playing.

Most people probably weren't affected irreversibly but I'll bet there's a few who have some unrefundable airline tickets they bought on the basis of thinking they were going to get to see the Police.
    Again, the people who were supposed to have access to the password were very few, they are those who GV presumed would go to Coachella pretty much regardless of lineup.

If you purchased Airline tickets on a presumption, you're silly.

An offer for refunds to anyone disgruntled by the pre-sale password has already been made.

Never ass-u-me

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    your stupid
    no, you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by xbnmx View Post
    An offer for refunds to anyone disgruntled by the pre-sale password has already been made.

Cool beans.

And to the person who started the thread. Get over you little whining Coachella virgin, who are you to dictate what GV chooses to do when it comes to selling tickets? I think it was genuis and it would not have mattered in how fast tickets sold out regardless. Did those pre sale tickets sell out? No they did not, so f**k you into thinking it was a scam. GV is trying their very best to put together an amazing festival. Did they suceed this year? Yes they did. I am with Vinyl and it was just a little joke for the fake poster made that started a little international incident. I mean the Chicago Tribune even ran a story on it and retracted it later. NME looked insanely foolish posting it on their website. A few radio stations refused to accept it was fake even when GV directly contacted them and said it was fake. Was the real line up not partially leaked online the day before it would officially announced? Yes it was, also may I point out there was still plenty of time left during the roxanne presale to figure out the Police were not headlining after the L.A. Times story broke. I think it actually sold more tickets when RATM was on that list of bands. Anyway get your refund or sell your tickets, buy tickets to see the Police this summer and SHUT UP.