Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819 LastLast

Thread: DIY and Home Repair

Default Re: DIY and Home Repair

Did you try the reset button on the bottom?
    Or
    Use a hex tool at the bottom to clear it out if its jammed(humming)

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Did you try the reset button on the bottom?
    Or
    Use a hex tool at the bottom to clear it out if its jammed(humming)
    Yes to both, several times.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I'm so not a D-I-Y'er. I'll probably be a lifelong renter. From time to time, I will visit this thread to ask ask stupid questions that the regulars in this thread will think are ridiculous. But, whatever, you guys are a helpful bunch.

So, in my new(ish) apartment, my landlord installed these great recessed ceiling lights throughout the apartment. I love the way they look and like having the dimmer switch on all of them for varying the amount of light, but there's one problem. They generate an inordinate amount of heat. I mean, I could probably heat the apartment with them on a cold day. I tend not to use them much because of this. I let a friend hold his play reading at my place a few nights ago and good light was needed throughout the living room for everyone to read their scripts -- more light than I could generate with my table and free standing lamps. But, after 10 minutes under those lights (which are attached to pretty high ceilings), I had to turn them off because folks were literally sweating. I'm thinking I should switch them to LED bulbs. Any thoughts? Will LED bulbs work with a dimmer switch? Any particular kind (or specs?) I should look for? For example is there a kind of LED which does a better job of dispersing light than others? I wouldn't want a sort of flashlight effect wherein the LED generates a long cylinder of light. Well, that might be kind of cool, but still, probably not best.

Here's a bad picture of a couple of the lights in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

I just got a 65w LED flood bulb for one of my bathrooms because I keep that light on 24 hours and wanted something energy efficient. I've got catboxes back there and they don't like using them in the dark. It was $20 and works fine with the dimmer and looks mostly like a regular flood light.
    However the quality of the light is kind of stark and I don't think it would look good anywhere else at my place.
    I'd love to put in recessed lighting like you have but the lights I have heat up my place enough as it is.
    If anyone else knows about this stuff I'd be interested in hearing it too.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    I'm so not a D-I-Y'er. I'll probably be a lifelong renter. From time to time, I will visit this thread to ask ask stupid questions that the regulars in this thread will think are ridiculous. But, whatever, you guys are a helpful bunch.

So, in my new(ish) apartment, my landlord installed these great recessed ceiling lights throughout the apartment. I love the way they look and like having the dimmer switch on all of them for varying the amount of light, but there's one problem. They generate an inordinate amount of heat. I mean, I could probably heat the apartment with them on a cold day. I tend not to use them much because of this. I let a friend hold his play reading at my place a few nights ago and good light was needed throughout the living room for everyone to read their scripts -- more light than I could generate with my table and free standing lamps. But, after 10 minutes under those lights (which are attached to pretty high ceilings), I had to turn them off because folks were literally sweating. I'm thinking I should switch them to LED bulbs. Any thoughts? Will LED bulbs work with a dimmer switch? Any particular kind (or specs?) I should look for? For example is there a kind of LED which does a better job of dispersing light than others? I wouldn't want a sort of flashlight effect wherein the LED generates a long cylinder of light. Well, that might be kind of cool, but still, probably not best.

Here's a bad picture of a couple of the lights in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

Had the same problem. Low watt LED lights are the best. If you know someone who could buy for you from Costco, they are half or less than half price than elsewhere. Also, there are special LED dimmers because LED bulbs that say they are dimable aren't as dimable as you are used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Anybody up for another round of DIY Secret Santa this year?

(Thanks again, Ivy, for taking the reins last time - I can facilitate this year unless you'd like to do it.)

I would love to participate.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

it's all you, hannah!

i feel horrible for never finishing my gift. it's almost done too and looks great. i will finish after my friend's wedding. no good excuse, just been focusing on my degree. i am likely in though and will choose a less ambitious project this time.

I also need to apologize for not finishing/starting the gift I was supposed to send. I blanked completely and was intimidated. So I am not in for this year. I have been trying to keep it in the back of my mind and plan to eventually make up for that (happy May! here's your gift from 2012). Sorry, recipient, everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

So which one of you is my delinquent santa?

I'm in. Hopefully there will be enough willing participants.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

I have decided that I am horrible at crafting on demand, and have been sort of embarrassed in the past by my contributions, so I promised myself I would not sign up for this again. However, I look forward to seeing all of your creations so please post photos!

Ok. So far we've got:

Hannahrain
    HowToDisappear
    Algunz
    Possibly Chairmenmeow.

As long as we have 5 people committed by, say, Nov. 20th, I'll send out assignments.

I'll sign up twice if we end up below our minimum.

I'm in if it's not too late.

It's not. I'll give it until the end of the day for any other last-minute applicants, and assignments will go out tomorrow.

Also. Does the gift have to be crafty

My phone posted before I was done. My question was would any handmade item be o.k.?

Anything made by you is fine, it's not about "crafts" so much as it is about doing it yourself. Very few past contributions have involved pipe cleaners and googly eyes.

I actually find crafts to be a sort of insulting term when applied to thoughtfully handmade things, so it's interesting to see that you'd make a distinction between that and handmade.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 11-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.

She's crafty, she's gets around
    She's crafty, she's always down
    She's crafty, you know she's got a gripe
    She's crafty and she's just my type
    She's crafty

I guess a few of these expressions of interest are a little vague - can I get a confirmation of everyone who is 100% in before assignments go out? I'll also need addresses sent via PM.

Here's our annual questionnaire:

Amenable to food gifts? Yes/no

If yes: any allergies?

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Post pics if you desire.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit.

What was the last thing you made?

What are your hobbies?

Do you collect anything?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

yes, as long as they won't arrive between the 20th and the 25th.

none. though i'm not a big fruit person.

bedroom: red, white, black. bathroom: blue & green. kitchen: rainbow. living room: blue & brown

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit.

i like color, patterns, and vintage stuff

mozarella cheese and pasta

What are your hobbies?

walking, singing, dancing, hula-hooping, traveling, school. school interferes with everything these days.

Do you collect anything?

vintage lunchboxes, sweater guards
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Amenable to food gifts? YES

If yes: any allergies? nope

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Our design has become more eclectic and could probably absorb anything nicely.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? My general style is casual and vintage. I love retro clothes with modern touches.

What was the last thing you made? I've been doing a lot of experimenting with cooking and baking, but my latest project has been updating some of my tired vintage clothes.

What are your hobbies? Photography, sewing, and cooking

Do you collect anything? At the moment, not really

I'm in. I'll fill out questionnaire later. Waiting for a plane right now.

Yes, especially anything with chocolate in it. I loooove chocolate.

Nope.

Neutral walls, vintage MCM/Danish Modern furniture (lots of wood blond/med/dark), bright pops of color in accessories. My recently acquired couch is kinda blue jeans blue, so it's weirdly neutral in that way and most colors go with it.

Simple, uncluttered, mostly gray, black, white and green (chartreuse is my favorite color)

Not so much making lately, as redoing/restoring furniture (some to keep, some to sell)

What are your hobbies?
    Hiking, camping, traveling, container gardening, attempting to get back into drawing/painting again

Do you collect anything?
    No.

anyone have any experience with wallpapers? specifically when it comes to prepping walls that have that venetian plaster and clear top coats already on it? I'm hoping that I'd just need to scratch up the surface a bit for adhesion and that I won't have to do too much else before application.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

It really depends on how smooth your walls are. Sand them down a little and then prime them. I use gardz, here is a link so you know what to buy at lowes or home dept.
    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...urface-sealer/

Remember to roll up when applying gardz to the wall. It is very milky and runs quickly. It will dry clear and the finish coating will be perfect for installation. Merry Christmas!
    09,10,12w1,13w1,14w1

thanks, Merry Christmas to you, too!

the venetian plaster has a top coat which is already clear and smooth, I just wonder if it can be adhered to. I'll look into the gardz stuff and see if it will work for my situation or if I'll have to sand it down after all. I'm just in the early planning stages, but I'd like to give my main bathroom a facelift since my friend went way overboard on the plaster stuff in the bathroom. that stuff looks great as an accent wall, but omg is it way too much for an entire room!

I want to use the textured wallpaper that can be painted, but not a really dramatic pattern.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Help! I am not a DIYer -- I'm the polar opposite. Lifelong renter and completely useless at this stuff. Point in case, it once took me -- no exaggeration -- 6 hours to assemble a tiny accent table from Ikea. And even then it had a wobbly leg. This one should be much easier, it's disassembly. Attached are pics of a table I need to breakdown (or, at least, remove the legs from) for easy transport. I bought it fully assembled, so have never seen it broken down. I've taken several pics of one of the inside corners (you know, the kneepit) of the table. What kind of tool(s) do I need to disassemble this (other than a screwdriver)? Thanks!

Jesus, hire a shirtless handyman off Craigslist. You are helpless. Or go return the table and start over as those allen wrench inserts look fucked and stripped.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.