Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819

Thread: DIY and Home Repair

Default Re: DIY and Home Repair

I think the best tool might be a saw for that project.

the legs look glued on as well as screwed in. gonna be a mess taking those legs off. If it weren't for that you could probably ignore the allen wrench screws, looks like they're just holding in the brace part.

I actually think it's the allen screws you should focus on - the brace part looks glued in, which would make perfect sense, and the standard screws look like they're the ones attached to the sides of the table.

holy shit, it's Hannah Rain. Listen to her.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I think Hannah may have it. When it was being assembled, the furniture guys never used any glue, just some tools. But that was nearly three years ago, so I have no recollection of which. Thanks.

I do somewhat hesitate to mention that your "kneepit" is actually the origin of the table's legs and not the midpoint of articulation. What you've got here is a standard four-crotch flatpack.

Well, I don't like to brag, but thank you.

oh, no.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

for christ's, people.

As with any cheap table all you need is an allen key. Probably something like 1/4" but a whole set is very cheap so you should just have one.
    The corner braces are never meant to be disassembled as evidenced by A) the fact that the skirts are glued to it, and B) common sense, so don't touch those screws.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 03-24-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Thank god you were here. What would we have done?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Thank god you were here. What would we have done?
    Sorry didn't catch your identical post. Although to be fair your language conveyed a slight uncertainty, coupled with you being a lady of course

If you're really lazy or broke you can just get a pair of adjustable straight - jaw pilers(which is a common tool and often refer to as Channel Locks pilers even though that's a tool manufacturer) and grab the hex key screw heads and go counterclockwise to all of the hex key screws to remove them which will disassemble each of the legs.

By the way i do not have a ton of channel lock tools because I mainly just buy their straight jaws (440 &480 models) but I heard not all of their tools are made in USA and the quality shows for it.A few of my co-workers love Channel-locks adjustable wrenches becauses their not thinner than other manufacturers. Another tool manufacturer that is known for their adjustable wrench, Cresent(sp?) Makes great dykes, where they have a double action or whatever where they snip firmer.
    Last edited by getbetter; 03-26-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

you will not be able to sufficiently tighten those hex bolts with pliers. unless perhaps locking pliers (i.e. vise grips), but everyone should just have at least a cheap allen key set.

Thanks for the help on that table. As Hannah and Jack suggested, it was incredibly easy to take care of with a simple hex wrench package from Home Depot. While I was at Home Depot I asked staff in multiple departments for help with something else and they were all clueless. I'm sure someone on here will know what to do. I have a leather loveseat I bought off a friend three years ago. In the last few months, small patches of the leather's top layer (paint? vinyl? I don't really know) have started to peel off to reveal a light pinkish area -- imagine what your pair of black jeans would look like if you accidentally spilled some bleach on them. I use the leather cleaner and preserver that came with the couch regularly, but there are still a couple of these patches. Has anyone used a touch-up product to cover up scratches/flakes/blemishes on a leather chair? If so, any brands/types you'd recommend? Pics of the main problem area are below. You probably can't tell from the pics, but the couch is technically not black, it's a very deep, dark brown -- but unless there's a ton of direct light on it, it will look black.

Looks like a pussy.

- Juaqin Phoenix

But I recently spray painted a rug, and it turned out fine, so maybe try. Or use shoe polish?
    Last edited by lehorne; 03-29-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Thanks for the help on that table. As Hannah and Jack suggested, it was incredibly easy to take care of with a simple hex wrench package from Home Depot. While I was at Home Depot I asked staff in multiple departments for help with something else and they were all clueless. I'm sure someone on here will know what to do. I have a leather loveseat I bought off a friend three years ago. In the last few months, small patches of the leather's top layer (paint? vinyl? I don't really know) have started to peel off to reveal a light pinkish area -- imagine what your pair of black jeans would look like if you accidentally spilled some bleach on them. I use the leather cleaner and preserver that came with the couch regularly, but there are still a couple of these patches. Has anyone used a touch-up product to cover up scratches/flakes/blemishes on a leather chair? If so, any brands/types you'd recommend? Pics of the main problem area are below. You probably can't tell from the pics, but the couch is technically not black, it's a very deep, dark brown -- but unless there's a ton of direct light on it, it will look black.
    The only thing I can think of is some kind of ink-filament to patch up the spots to a closely matched color. Similar to those scratch paint filler products for your car but for leather/faux leather. It looks like that is where a lot of rubbing or moisture (sweat) is done. Fix it, then put a towel in that spot or just get a towel in similar color and just drape it over that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Again, I think you need a saw.

I think I'll wait for Hannah or Jack to pipe in.

I agree with Vogina.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Turns out I have a friend who does leather restoration on the side. Who knew? He's coming by this weekend and said he can restore that loveseat for $25. Not bad.

Got another one for you. Accent table. Not terribly valuable (obviously). Got chipped on one edge. Small 1.5" x 0.5" piece from one edge got chipped off and split into two smaller pieces. Any thoughts on the best way to repair this? It doesn't need to look perfect because, frankly, the table isn't perfect. Color matching will be easy, it's just a plain jet black. Should I use a wood glue, put those pieces back (they're not the exact shape of the chip) and then paint over? Should I fill the gap with something else? A wax? And then paint over? Pics below.

Curious to know what your friend does about the leather.

As far as the table, you say you are planning to paint it? Doesn't look like the chips can be put back into reasonable shape. maybe try to glue them and then fill in whatever is missing with wood filler. If you go wood filler the whole way then maybe do it in a couple layers (can't really tell how deep it is) because a big gob will take forever to dry. If it's not that deep (like <1/4") then fill it in a single pass. When it's dry sand it back down to flat, prime, paint.

Famowood is a good brand. Not sure if they have an ebony color but if your'e painting anyway who cares.
    whatever it is make sure it's wood filler, not wood putty.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 04-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.