Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY and Home Repair

Default Re: DIY and Home Repair

I will host DIY secret Santa again this year. Same general idea as last year, please PM me with your address by 11/10 if you'd like to participate and then return here to fill out this short questionnaire (kept short and sweet as I'm typing it on my phone):

Amenable to food gifts? Yes/no

If yes: any allergies?

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Post pics if you desire.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit.

What was the last thing you made?

I feel truly sorry for what happened last year to IFA and for my total lack of ability to get her a replacement gift in any reasonable amount of time. I will send her a gift in addition to my randomly chosen recipient and Ronnie is, of course, banned.

This is very good.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

thanks hannah

Amenable to food gifts? Yes/no, it gets too hot during the day here and i don't want something to melt

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Post pics if you desire. bedroom is black, white & red. bathroom is a darker pastel green & darker pastel blue & white. kitchen is colourful and full of children's lunchboxes. living room has lots of dark brown metal work & couch is darker pastel blue

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit. personal style = rainbow brite on acid. i also like classic prim & proper stuff, like mad men.

What was the last thing you made? my doc brown helmet for halloween
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Thanks, Hannah.

Amenable to food gifts? No.

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Bedroom is teal and very bohemian. Rest of house is pistachio green, and very 60s/70s. Patio is orange/pink, and looks like a Mexican restaurant.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit. I'm a sucker for loud 70s prints.

What was the last thing you made? A tinfoil hat styled in the manner of Alexander McQueen's 2008 butterfly hat. No, srsly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

So I just bought this hutch because it was on sale but I certainly don't have enough money now or soon to buy the buffet it is supposed to accompany. It was sort of an impulsive buy for my new apartment. Since I don't really know about this type of furniture...do you think it can be free standing? Like, I don't think it necessary needs to be on top of a buffet to still be an effective storage unit. I probably can't or shouldn't try to use it as a TV stand though...right?

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

I'll bet a lighter plasma or LCD type TV would be OK (the thin kind. yeah I'm old.) I think the concern would be it tipping forward, but that would still hold true no matter what you put on the shelves or on top of it. Sometimes hutches are fastened to buffets with metal plates in the back, but ignoring that possibility it really shouldn't be any more tippy resting on the floor than resting on top of a buffet. Maybe try to keep weight on lowest shelf or even wire to an eye hook in the wall behind it? Load it up and see if it feels tippy. Earthquake tippy vs jumping cat tippy? It looks cool good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I will host DIY secret Santa again this year. Same general idea as last year, please PM me with your address by 11/10 if you'd like to participate and then return here to fill out this short questionnaire (kept short and sweet as I'm typing it on my phone):

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit.

I feel truly sorry for what happened last year to IFA and for my total lack of ability to get her a replacement gift in any reasonable amount of time. I will send her a gift in addition to my randomly chosen recipient and Ronnie is, of course, banned.
    Bump for attention. Everybody look at me. Pay attention to me. Me me me me me. I'm great. Do my thing.

Got a question: I've got some copper that I want to brighten up but not destroy, how do I go about that? I plan on going to OSH, but would like ideas before I go look around. Any home stuff, recommended products you may have previously used?
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    So I just bought this hutch because it was on sale but I certainly don't have enough money now or soon to buy the buffet it is supposed to accompany. It was sort of an impulsive buy for my new apartment. Since I don't really know about this type of furniture...do you think it can be free standing? Like, I don't think it necessary needs to be on top of a buffet to still be an effective storage unit. I probably can't or shouldn't try to use it as a TV stand though...right?

If you're going to place significant weight on that I would stronly suggest building some extended legs for it. If you raise its center of mass with something very heavy it might tip easily. TVs are generally front heavy, which is why their bases stick out wider in the front than in the back.

You can do this without damaging it by simply screwing on some longer wider legs from the bottom up into it.

Where did you get it and how much was it?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post

Im willing to participate if there is more than three people.

There will be four of us if you participate, and five if Courtney's actually in instead of just sharing vague praise.

Aw, but vague praise is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    If you're going to place significant weight on that I would stronly suggest building some extended legs for it. If you raise its center of mass with something very heavy it might tip easily. TVs are generally front heavy, which is why their bases stick out wider in the front than in the back.

You can do this without damaging it by simply screwing on some longer wider legs from the bottom up into it.

Where did you get it and how much was it?
    Thanks. It's from Crate & Barrell and it was $150 on sale and usually $600. I felt a little guilty about ordering online from a company like that because ideally I'd prefer to buy locally crafted furniture but it was super impulsive.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks. It's from Crate & Barrell and it was $150 on sale and usually $600. I felt a little guilty about ordering online from a company like that because ideally I'd prefer to buy locally crafted furniture but it was super impulsive.
    $150 is a great deal for that. If you don't want it let me know,

you elitist scum.

actually I see it's still on sale, because they're out of the buffet.
    Did you get that shipped?
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 11-08-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Here, I will make it six :

Amenable to food gifts? Yes/no If it involves chocolate, yes

If yes: any allergies? No

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Post pics if you desire. Mostly MCM. Neutral walls/upholstery/linen (gray bathrooms, pale green-gray bedroom, off white living room/dining/kitchen), like bright pops of color in art and accessories (mostly chartreuse LOVE!!!, some orange and bright teal), medium-to-blonde wood, glass

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit. Nearly always clad in black, white, grey, green, very rarely prints, simple clean lines minimal ornamentation

What was the last thing you made? 1) A cabana-type thing to shade my patio table/chairs (in progress) 2) A pseudo-Case Study bed (it's not quite finished, but we sleep on it anyway)
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

old school

<3 all food. Im a fat kid at heart.

If yes: any allergies? I have no idea

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Post pics if you desire. Not really.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? If desired, may post pics or a hypothetical Polyvore outfit. I don't really have a style. I enjoy all things outdoor. Indoors I love everything modern. Combine the two I guess that would be my style.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colora...e/123487108573
    Please also friend the page. I don't spam.

old school

Also if you all are looking to try something new for the holidays my wife is the art director for a new start up that has wonderful ideas and tutorials. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.craftsy.com/

Alright. Final pull. Tomorrow's the last day to sign up.

Also - y'all can't get presents without addresses and my PM box has been cleared many times because I am very, very popular. Please send them even if you think I already have them from other things.

Amenable to food gifts? Yes/no I probably won't eat a whole batch of something, but a cookie or two is okay.

If yes: any allergies? None.

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Post pics if you desire. Not much theme color-wise. Decor-wise, I tend to collect things that are unique or interesting and have a story behind them - on my coffee table, among other things you'll find laminated newspapers from WW2, books of interesting x-rays, and an old library book of early American car advertisements.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? Sort of the opposite of my choice in home decor. A lot of dark colors and earth tones, some bracelets and earrings. I definitely don't dress for attention.

What was the last thing you made? A pair of small petal-shaped brushed silver earrings.

Amenable to food gifts? Only if it does not contain sugar, nor white flour, nor saturated fat. Which pretty much eliminates all the fun stuff.

If yes: No allergies. Except if you count tackiness and poor taste.

Is there a unifying color theme in your home? Um, my bedroom is teal and red and white. My bathroom is yellow, black and white. My home office is pale pink and silver. My living room is who the hell knows what.

Is there a unifying theme to your personal style? I like things that make me look good. Like pencil skirts and cardigans and high heels and tailored leather bags big enough to cart around my laptop and camera. And I wear a lot of stripes.

What was the last thing you made? Some wheat berry, kale, heirloom tomato and feta salad. Before that, I made a solar system costume.

Ok. There are 6 of us, so I used a set of dice to assign pairings and switched one set of recipients to avoid a repeat from last year. I'll send assignments out now so we can all start planning/making, but I still need an address for J-$$$ and one for IFA if it's not the same as last year.

J~$$$$, is there a large Persian population in Englewood?

cookies!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    J~$$$$, is there a large Persian population in Englewood?
    There is a large Persian population in Aurora and Boulder.....My wife is half Persian....why do you ask?

Um... you'll figure it out.

Did you know that there is a proper technique for stringing lights on Christmas trees? And apparently it's quite complicated too. Martha Stewart does not fuck around.

Fuck that. Throw them from a short distance away like you're net-trapping the motherfucker and then go have a mulled cider.

You circle the tree and space them evenly. Done. Or see post above.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

Better yet, buy a tree with lights already attached.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

my tree has lights attached. i love my tree.

also, my DIY gift will be shipped after surgery. i'll make it worth the wait though!

At my school, I had to figure out ways to reuse corks... Remembered the tutorial from here and the project is under $10 bucks, the pricy part is buying the beers/wine... (I'm a Environmental studies major) Got the frame from goodwill and just needed to buy a hotglue gun. can't wait to fill this up and hang it on my wall.

Need more belgium or bottle conditioned beers...

I think the corkboard will look sharp...
    Last edited by Geno_g; 11-28-2011 at 11:26 AM.