Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY and Home Repair

Default Re: DIY and Home Repair

I wish there was a window in my bathroom. It's claustrophobic. Sometimes it feels like I'm in Nam again crawling my way underground through small dirt tunnels looking for vietcong to grenade.
    *there are plans, but they have no dates*

Ha. Donkey sex, how about adding more lighting, would that help? Or alternately, a new fresher paint color, or a frosted glass door?

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Courtney, I'm in love with black/white/grey and orange. Mostly grey/white/orange. Upbeat yet classy, like a fancy hotel!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

not funny remembering that, but thanks for the advice. All those are really good tips. Maybe more light and a soft yellow paint (pretend sunshine). I'm excited at the prospects now. Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Bev, here's the weirdo Florida wall hook and the papers I'm considering using to decoupage over it:

So I failed my DIY project. I'll have to do it over again because I didn't think to do a white base coat. But it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I like it as is.

In the photo, it's very difficult/impossible to make out the "Florida" and the map. it looks more like scattered colors which is why I agree with Patrick. It could be though that in reality the "Florida" is much more obvious and pronounced and so doesn't actually work.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donkey sex View Post
    I wish there was a window in my bathroom. It's claustrophobic. Sometimes it feels like I'm in Nam again crawling my way underground through small dirt tunnels looking for vietcong to grenade.
    A) you don't grenade somebody. you frag them.

B) Are there any rules for your bathroom? If there are rules then it's nothing like Nam.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    A) you don't grenade somebody. you frag them.

B) Are there any rules for your bathroom? If there are rules then it's nothing like Nam.
    Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I like it as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    In the photo, it's very difficult/impossible to make out the "Florida" and the map. it looks more like scattered colors which is why I agree with Patrick. It could be though that in reality the "Florida" is much more obvious and pronounced and so doesn't actually work.
    Thanks. I guess it's not so bad; it's just not what I was aiming for.

Hovering toward the top of my shortlisted home decor project list is the recreation of the classic Corningware flower motif on my kitchen wall:

I think I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some of that wall decal material in sheets and cut it myself.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I finally put shit on my walls today. My room is colorful, but man I have too many posters in here. I think I want to replace my Christmas lights with something cuter, and I want to find something to put above my window. Also going to make a half-curtain at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Wheels Of Cheese

Anyone wanna help me rasterbate?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Are you on a Mac? I can get programs for PC and Linux but Mac is a bit harder.

Edit, if you're in Photoshop CS2 or beyond, you can tile print in File > Print > Setup, Options Tab, Tiling.
    Last edited by weeklymix; 10-03-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Wheels Of Cheese

Yeah for a Mac. I can't find anything. I simply use Gimp.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

I'll check it out. Thanks a ton, Zack.

those two-hour fogger things are hands down the best solution for ants. God damn pesky bastards.

Any advice on rebuilding drawers?

We just moved, and of course, since it's a rental, the paint job is really bad. I'm going to have to sand and replace kitchen hardware so the cabinets doors open and close.

The drawers in the kitchen are pretty bad too. A couple of the drawers don't want to open, and one drawer has a broken piece that can give you splinters. I'm looking at how the drawers are made and thinking it might not be impossible to make new ones. Or, should I just keep bugging the owners to get it fixed? (Not hopeful about that!)

Drawers are the hardest thing to build. You can buy custom ones made to your spec online, but the sum of them may end up being more than a new piece. OK, I realize that was not helpful advice.

If you wind up not feeling up to replacing the drawers as a whole, you could always install new slides and sand the edges a down a bit on the ones that don't want to open.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    Any advice on rebuilding drawers?

We just moved, and of course, since it's a rental, the paint job is really bad. I'm going to have to sand and replace kitchen hardware so the cabinets doors open and close.

The drawers in the kitchen are pretty bad too. A couple of the drawers don't want to open, and one drawer has a broken piece that can give you splinters. I'm looking at how the drawers are made and thinking it might not be impossible to make new ones. Or, should I just keep bugging the owners to get it fixed? (Not hopeful about that!)
    Because you're new tenant, they probably slapped on a coat of fresh paint without prepping anything first, and if you've mentioned the problems to them and they aren't in any hurry, tell them you think it would be easy enough to do yourself. So far, it's worked for me and then I just deduct my expense from the next month's rent. Like Hannah said, probably needs to have the tracks for the drawers sanded to make them open easier.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I know this thread has a pretty small audience, but I was wondering if any of the people who do routinely click on it would be interested in a smaller, separate-from-the-rest-of-the-board handmade-only secret santa type gift exchange for those of us who can make things or are maybe short enough on cash to avoid the regular board secret santa*. Post here if you'd be down, and I'll facilitate if it's more than just me.

*Participation in the regular one doesn't exclude you from this, anybody who wants to make something can be involved.

I don't think anyone on the regular one would scoff at a well thought out hand made gift.

No, they probably wouldn't. It's a little harder to confidently join such a large exchange, though - I would be more than comfortable making something for someone I knew or someone I know to appreciate handmade things, but not everybody likes them the way some of us do and that exchange is so much more widespread that you could very well get someone you don't know at all.

I don't know. It seemed like a nice idea; I just thought I'd gauge interest.

I think this is a fabulous idea. And if no one else wants to do it, that means I WIN because I get something made by Hannah. (And she loses because she gets something made by me.)

But mostly I like the idea of a more intimate exchange where I somewhat know everyone and have an idea of their taste.

Happy to have you. I'll give it a week or so of pestering and irresponsible thread-bumping and then I will figure out logistics and assignments.

Shamelessly bumping this for exposure.

This thread bump has been brought to you by the cotter pin.

Can we have a questions survey like the other gift exchange, only with completely non-relevant questions? Like, if you were going to have an existential crisis, would you be more likely to relate to Hamlet, Holden Caufield, or Don Draper? These are the sorts of things I need to know in order to craft an adequate gift.

I'd like to participate, except the fact that the artistry on this board is amazing and it would make gift look like it came from a toddler.