Thread: Drinking

Lurker

Default Drinking

Coming from England, at our festivals it is commonplace to spend pretty much the whole day drinking and thus getting drunk at festivals.
    I understand that this may be a bit foolish in the desert sun at Coachella, but what is the general vibe of the place? Is everyone pretty much sober? Man that'd be weird.

How big are the designated drinking areas? Can you see/hear music etc from them, and how strict are they on taking drink out of there?

cheers

Lurker

Default Re: Drinking

They check that everyone entering the drinking areas has a wristband to confirm they are over 21 (you have to queue to get these once you get into the festival and show photo ID - my tip is to queue when you first get in as the lines get longer as the day goes on). They check that everyone leaving the drinking areas are not taking anything out with them. Unless you have VIP the drinking area near to the main stage is quite a long way away - you can hear the band that are on but not at any great volume and there is conflict with the sound systems on some of the vendor's stalls. You can just about see the band that are on but this is helped by the large screens at the side of the stage. This drinking area is quite large and has a shaded area and open air grass. The drinking area near the three tents is smaller, you can't really see the bands. You can hear them but there is sound pollution from all three stages which doesn't make listening to something specific at all easy. I find that planning your day around bands you want to see with breaks to go for a drink when there isn't anyone you want to see works well. Vibe is less pissed up than, for example, at Reading.

Lurker

The drinking areas have separate entrances and exits btw. The drinking area near the main stage usually has a sponsored cigarette tent where you might get some freebies if you are a smoker.

I'm going to Bonnaroo this year, also. Thats where you need to go to have a festival you are used to. There, you can bring alcohol to the campsite and you can go back and forth from the festival to your tent!!! Awesome. Coachella is WAY more uppity hipster scene, where everyone goes to prove they like good artists. Where Bonnaroo is more of a muddy free-balling deal. BEER DRUGS and MUSIC in the middle of nowhere. This isnt a toatally encompassing description, but Coachella = "I'm cool-fest" for generally doscile music scene-sters. (not saying it isnt cool) It's awesome! Whereas Bonnaroo is THE SHIT. At least how they run things!!!
    .oORienONEOo.

Dudleyville, AZ (yes, it's a real place!)

we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.
    I don't have anything clever to say right now.
    Tiff's Myspace

i cant understand y they dont let u walk around with a beer...??? thats just stupid, they could make alot more money from me. Now i will be forced to walk around drinking little bottles all day that they dont get a dime for.

Im pretty sure the city of Indio probably forced the concert organizers to do this, so that things dont get "out of hand". Lame i know, but usually when stupid rules that make no sense are enforced, local politics are involved.
    "The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N."

http://www.myspace.com/andresanchosanchez

Asancho,

You're right - though it's not just 'local' politics. It all starts with the California ABC.

Cheers,

$8beer

Nobody asked, but in brazilian festivals you can do whatever you want.
    Ah, I'm so homesick these days...
    You only live once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mivsy View Post
    The drinking areas have separate entrances and exits btw. The drinking area near the main stage usually has a sponsored cigarette tent where you might get some freebies if you are a smoker.
    Free lung disease.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

I never knew people had to be drunk to enjoy good music.

DRINKING AREAS?!?!? Whaaaa??? We have huge lines too but it's in and out! No drinking areas!
    They're really trying to promote ilicit drug use with this! You can do that shit any where!

its not a case of havin to be drunk, i dont ever get too drunk at festivals untill after the gigs have all finished but i certainly would go back and forth to the campsite for a beer or 3 in between acts i want to see.
    Its just a different culture when it comes to drinking.

Lurker

Although, of course, you can't go to the campsite between bands at Coachella because once you are inside the festival area for the day that is it - no ins and outs allowed.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by microserfs21 View Post
    I never knew people had to be drunk to enjoy good music.

It's nothing to do with being drunk, it's just such a bizarre notion to me that there are designated drinking areas. The festivals that I'm used to have very few rules and pretty much anything goes, within reason.
    Having drinking areas and body searches and stuff seems to go against the whole idea of festivals if you ask me. It's gonna be strange being at a festival where there are lost of rules and regulations and a bit of a nanny-state culture.
    Come on children, you can drink over here, no no, put that down, it's time to go and see the nice band now...

I'm sure I'll have a whale of a time, don't get me wrong, it's just the idea of the policing etc is not to my taste.

It will be refreshing not to be surrounded by drunk idiots yelling out dumb shit and generally screaming "LOOK AT ME IM DRUNK WOW HAVE SECKS WITH ME!".

The only thing that sucks is that you cant bring your own booze into the campsite, I would like a nice nightcap after the festival.

Banned

id love to be able to walk around with alcohol but becasue there are minors there , california is super strict on drinking and honestly it doesnt bother me cuz when i did concert security we would see more issues with alcohol in the crowd and kids 12, 13 and 14 getting drinks. that brought it to where its at now. and also if a kid is drinking and hurts someone outside the venue, the city and coachella are liable so now that they have the areas they can say they make the effort.

Lurker

the idea that you're not allowed alcohol in the campsite is absolutely ridiculous.
    What happens after the show finishes then? Is everyone ushered out/back to their tents and 'lights out'?

theres a bar in the campsite
    its all about the $$$$$
    anyway, where theres a will theres a way - theres always away to smuggle shit in

there is a bar in the campsite, but it isn't open when it needs to be (like after the shows end)....so, you just gotta wing it and be creative about having a nightcap
    Tiff's Myspace

its quite simple really
    although, i aint sayin how im gonna bypass all the rules, i just know i will
    now, where did i put that lube

heheh....they ought to make bottles of booze shaped like a penis. that way you could literally get fucked up after downing a bottle
    Tiff's Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by tiffdud41 View Post
    heheh....they ought to make bottles of booze shaped like a penis. that way you could literally get fucked up after downing a bottle

imagine
    jaysus the thoughts are makin me squirm

I'm really surprised it hasn't been done yet
    Tiff's Myspace

I'm all for drinking and whooping it up, but I'd really be careful in the sun. Coming from where you are coming from, I'm guessing you're not used to 100 degree dry weather. The sun combined with alcohol combined with dehydration = bad news.

At least make sure to alternate water with your drinks so you stay hydrated. When the sun goes down, you'll be good to really whoop it up.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

hydrate yourself (with water).
    wear sunblock.
    hats help.
    drink a lot.
    screw the hippies that don't want a bunch of drunks getting "high and loaded!"
    seriously, lots of water.