Thread: Flying to Coachella and camping. Options?

Question Flying to Coachella and camping. Options?

I'll be flying out of Philly Thursday morning and camping at Coachella. I'm just looking for some advice from anyone that has past experience flying and camping.

I have a tent here in PA that I would love to take to with me. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to lug around through the airport or if they'll even allow me to do that?

So I guess my other option would be to just drive to the local Walmart once I arrive in Indio and pick up a tent and supplies there. Not sure if that would be more economical? Also, if that is the best option, what are the chances of me actually finding a tent to purchase locally? If there are thousands of other Coachella campers trying to do the same thing the stores could be sold out of tents and supplies.

Anyone else that has already been through this adventure have any advice??

Lurker

Default Re: Flying to Coachella and camping. Options?

I've flown to Coachella and camped before. I'm doing it again this year. It's easy.

Just put your camping stuff in a big suitcase or duffle and check it. That's what I've done and it's been fine.

Obviously don't try to check anything you aren't supposed to put on an airplane (propane, white gas, cooking gas, cook stove, lantern, aerosol cans).

Even if you buy a tent there you'd want to bring it back right? a one time use tent would be pretty expensive and wasteful.

I think there is a way to rent a tent. I don't know anything about it but vaguely remember seeing something about it on the info page about camping.

Coachella ready to go tents are sold out.

I fly from the east coast so take it from me it's not a problem - in '08 I brought a tent and shade canopy in my luggage. It is a lot to drag around an airport, but financially it makes more sense because I'm not buying a tent for a single use. Just make sure your luggage has wheels, and if you can I recommend going Southwest because they don't charge baggage fees. The only thing I don't bring is a cooler, but you can get those pretty cheap and just give it to someone at the campgrounds, or you can find these guys: http://coachella.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=11
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    The Wizard didnt resist the police, the police resisted The Wizard

Post Re: Flying to Coachella and camping. Options?

Thanks for the quick replies!!

Unfortunately I've already booked my flight with American Airlines, so Southwest is not an option. I'll definitely have to look into the baggage fees to see what it will cost me. But I feel a lot better about bringing my own tent now.

Just don't try to skip the bag fees by bringing your tent carry-on. The TSA doesn't take kindly to tent stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    The Wizard didnt resist the police, the police resisted The Wizard

I am so glad I bought the camping package the day after the line up came out!

The only thing I'd suggest, is if you don't decide to check your tent, and buy one once you get to Cali-
    Maybe buy the tent closer to whatever airport you're flying into as opposed to buying it in Indio or Palm Springs or whatever. I get the feeling the supplies may be a little picked over, because more than a few people will be buying their stuff closer to the campgrounds too.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2014 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

What are the options for people getting from airport (Palm Springs) to campground? Four of us are flying in, and I've heard that you need to be over 25 to rent a car in the US (none of us are...). I understand we could take a taxi (and we will if that's the only option), but we'll need to stop at a store along the way for food etc... Just wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives!

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Post Re: Flying to Coachella and camping. Options?

As long as you are atleast 21 you can rent a car. There will just be an additional fee and restrictions on what car you can rent, like you can't rent a full size SUV or anything. We're renting a car from the 15th to the 19th from Enterprise in the airport. If you were to do that it would cost you about $175-$200 for a standard car for all 5 days, that's not including any gas or extra insurance you would buy. Divide the costs between the 4 of you and it's not too bad. I have no idea if a taxi would be cheaper or not. I personally would rent the car though for the convenience. You won't be able to drive it anywhere once it's parked in your camp spot, but you'll have a power source(to charge phones, etc.), air conditioning(assuming you're not blasting exhaust fumes down anybodys throat), and security(you can lock any valuables in the car).

I've never been there before so you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt. But as far as the rental car you can find all that info on their website.

If you're all under 21 though, I think you're screwed. Taxi would be your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by rot_in_a_box View Post
    If you're all under 21 though, I think you're screwed. Taxi would be your only option.
    This would be the case, all 20....

Sucks, thanks for the reply though!

You might consider hitchhiking from the airport. Make a sign. Be willing to split up? Also watch the carpool forum. post your arrival times/departure times.

sent a pm

You can pack your tent and stuff in an ice chest and check that.

I wouldn't count on Walmart or other local area stores to have anything you absolutely need for camping. If you must buy there, see if you can purchase ahead of time and have them hold it for you, and talk directly with a store manager and confirm ahead of time they have your gear and you can just pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.