Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna Make This Garden Grow

Default Gonna Make This Garden Grow

I've been doing a lot of planting and gardening recently in my new place, mostly herb and vegetable container plants. But I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

Are there any other gardeners here? What do you grow?

And most importantly, can anyone tell me what on earth is going on with my pole green beans and how to fix it?

Default Re: Gonna Make This Garden Grow

Leaf miners. Term for worms or maggots that grow inside your plant's leaves and leave those white trails from eating their way around inside. If you break the leaf open you may find that there's still a larva in there, or it may have already pupated and taken off. Get rid of the infected leaves and do the same in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Leaf miners. Term for worms or maggots that grow inside your plant's leaves and leave those white trails from eating their way around inside. If you break the leaf open you may find that there's still a larva in there, or it may have already pupated and taken off. Get rid of the infected leaves and do the same in the future.
    funny, offensive AND A GARDENER?
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 02-19-2010 at 05:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

I'm gonna assume he was growing drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Nope.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Try neem oil. It's a natural pesticide that is pressed from the Neem tree, and many organic farmers use it. It stinks but should do the trick.

I moved into a place last year that has a tiny back yard and started growing my own vegetables. It turned out really well, I grew 2 kinds of peppers, 2 kinds of tomatoes, onions, peas, lettuce, radishes and tons of herbs. I'm going to try to do a cutting garden this year in addition to the veggies. It's nice to not have to buy wax covered, barely ripened produce from the supermarket.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    The Wizard didnt resist the police, the police resisted The Wizard

Yea neam oil is killer so to speak. Try that and it's not very expensive. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Hey thanks Randy, lizng and Ron! This is super helpful. Randy, the idea of larvae wiggling around in my plants is now kinda grossing me out. WTG.

lizng, what do you mean by a cutting garden? Flowering plants that you can cut to take inside? Also, for the lettuce, do you harvest it by just taking off outer leaves as needed, you do you cut the whole head in one go the way they do for supermarkets?

It depends on the lettuce. Some types you can chop off and it will grow right back. Romaine for example will not just grow back.
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

What Randy said. Just remove the infected leaves. I try to avoid pesticides, even organic ones, as much as humanly possible. Most pests can be dealt with the the spray of a hose, or by hand picking and destroying them. I use oat bran for snails.

Get yourself a Sunset Western Garden Book. One of the best all-around reference books for gardeners here, and I think the new edition has zone maps for Hawaii. Local garden clubs, University Agricultural Extensions and your friendly neighborhood nursery are always the best resources for advice.

We've been living in a condo for the last 5 years and I miss gardening terribly. In our old house by the beach, I had a cottage garden in the front yard (herbs, veggies, flowers), grew orchids, staghorn ferns, bromeliads and epiphyllums on the lathed front porch, and had sun loving succulents and epidendrum orchids and geraniums and such in the back yard.

Now I just cram as many container plants on my meager 6x17 foot concrete patio as I can. I've had orchids and staghorns since I was 13 --- you could definitely grow orchids, bromeliads, epis and stags there without ever lifting a finger. (They probably grow like weeds by the roadside anyway.) Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Only leaf lettuce can be cut.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Loose leaf lettuces can be harvested a few leaves at a time as needed. Head lettuces are grown to maturity then harvested. Don't let lettuces bolt (go to seed). Then they're too old and bitter to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Hey thanks Randy, lizng and Ron! This is super helpful. Randy, the idea of larvae wiggling around in my plants is now kinda grossing me out. WTG.

lizng, what do you mean by a cutting garden? Flowering plants that you can cut to take inside? Also, for the lettuce, do you harvest it by just taking off outer leaves as needed, you do you cut the whole head in one go the way they do for supermarkets?
    yeah, flowers that I can cut and bring inside. I'm throwing a baby shower this summer and I'm cheap, so I'm growing a shit-ton of flowers from seed and will just use those as decoration. And then the rest of the season I can just have pretty bouquets of flowers in my house for really no cost.

I grew romaine lettuce, so I would just take the whole head and then plant new seeds every so often so I had a constant supply of lettuce. This year I think I'll just buy lettuce from the farmers' market because growing lettuce takes up too much space in my tiny yard. I yielded the most from the tomatoes, banana peppers and herbs, so those will be a repeat for me. I think I'm going to try squash too if I can train it to go up a trellis.

Does anyone use rain barrels that connect to your gutter systems? If so, any advice or recommendations? I'm thinking about installing one because the retards that build my townhouse didn't put hose connections in the back and I am growing tired of carrying buckets of water through my living room.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i want to get a plant for my bathroom that's kinda tall and easy to maintain for someone who lives in arizona. any suggestions? i feel overwhelmed at the gardening centers i've visited and i end up getting distracted by all the flowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by lizng View Post
    Does anyone use rain barrels that connect to your gutter systems? If so, any advice or recommendations? I'm thinking about installing one because the retards that build my townhouse didn't put hose connections in the back and I am growing tired of carrying buckets of water through my living room.
    I have a hose reel I carry to the spigot out front, and I run the hose through my living room to my back patio. I originally had a springy hose that I connected to my kitchen faucet, but it was too annoying to keep contained.

I grow bell peppers, jalapenos, serranos, cilantro, and other veggies. I really like the female clones I've been getting too, ...
    Last edited by Geno_g; 02-19-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    I have a hose reel I carry to the spigot out front, and I run the hose through my living room to my back patio. I originally had a springy hose that I connected to my kitchen faucet, but it was too annoying to keep contained.
    I tried that but my OCD boyfriend (we're shacking up) thinks the world will implode if I drag a dirty, drippy hose over our pristine carpet. It's not an argument I feel like having again.

Edit: oh, and it would be nice to not have to pay to water the plants since the city of Raleigh raised the water rates again.
    Last edited by lizng; 02-19-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: kittens

I say garden takes precedent over carpet. But my hose only touches concrete outside, so no muddy mess. We don't get enough rain to collect year 'round, so no rain barrels. But if you're in Raleigh, and your HOA allows it, then by all means, go for it.

I tried that but my OCD boyfriend (we're shacking up) thinks the world will implode if I drag a dirty, drippy hose over our pristine carpet. It's not an argument I feel like having again.

The long, dripping hose makes him feel inferior.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i want to get a plant for my bathroom that's kinda tall and easy to maintain for someone who lives in arizona. any suggestions? i feel overwhelmed at the gardening centers i've visited and i end up getting distracted by all the flowers.
    Bathrooms are low-light, high moisture and not subject to outside conditions, so it wouldn't matter about AZ. I'm assuming you have a window. No window, no plant. We don't. Dracaenas, Spathiphyllums and Philodendrons are the most bullet-proof house plants. They tolerate the lowest light and will live through anything. Spathiphyllums will bloom white call lily-like flowers if given enough light. Dracaenas are the tallest. Philos you could train up something tall.

no window. i was wondering if there's something i can put on my balcony or by my windows while i'm at work or something.

I am not a fan of fake greenery, in fact I loathe it, BUT they do make super realistic fake orchid plants now that are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing. Until you get real close, that is. Plants really don't like having their environment changed willy-nilly. Taking something out-in, or dry-moist, and back and forth all the time is not a good idea. Even the hardiest of plants can't tolerate that. Another idea is to put some nice artwork in the bathroom if you want to liven it up.

thanks for the info, better to know that now instead of constantly buying plants

maybe i could get one for a better-lit section of my apartment, i really want a plant of some sort that isn't hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    What Randy said. Just remove the infected leaves. I try to avoid pesticides, even organic ones, as much as humanly possible. Most pests can be dealt with the the spray of a hose, or by hand picking and destroying them. I use oat bran for snails.

Get yourself a Sunset Western Garden Book. One of the best all-around reference books for gardeners here, and I think the new edition has zone maps for Hawaii. Local garden clubs, University Agricultural Extensions and your friendly neighborhood nursery are always the best resources for advice.

We've been living in a condo for the last 5 years and I miss gardening terribly. In our old house by the beach, I had a cottage garden in the front yard (herbs, veggies, flowers), grew orchids, staghorn ferns, bromeliads and epiphyllums on the lathed front porch, and had sun loving succulents and epidendrum orchids and geraniums and such in the back yard.

Now I just cram as many container plants on my meager 6x17 foot concrete patio as I can. I've had orchids and staghorns since I was 13 --- you could definitely grow orchids, bromeliads, epis and stags there without ever lifting a finger. (They probably grow like weeds by the roadside anyway.) Have fun!
    Thanks for the book suggestion! That Sunset Western Garden Book looks good. I have a Growing Vegetables in Hawaii book right now that is ok, but heavy on the images and light on the actual information.

I am just growing things in containers on my big balcony right now, so it sounds like a similar situation to your patio. Orchids do grow naturally here, but mostly in dense, humid forested areas on the sides of trees. I'm not sure how well they would fare in my direct sunlight, dry area of the island. I'll have to experiment!

I grew romaine lettuce, so I would just take the whole head and then plant new seeds every so often so I had a constant supply of lettuce. This year I think I'll just buy lettuce from the farmers' market because growing lettuce takes up too much space in my tiny yard. I yielded the most from the tomatoes, banana peppers and herbs, so those will be a repeat for me. I think I'm going to try squash too if I can train it to go up a trellis.

I'm all about maximizing the productivity of small spaces, so I'm also working with things that climb well, hence the pole beans. But I do think I may experiment with some of the Hawaiian lettuce varietals, because that's something that is either non-existent or way over-priced in our local supermarkets. (Overpriced like $3.50 for a small head of iceberg. Yuck.)

I would love to hook up some sort of rain water system, but don't have one in place currently. Please do install one and then post tons of photos so that I can just copy you.

no window.
    You could grow mushrooms! Sorry, that's all I got.

thanks for the info, better to know that now instead of constantly buying plants

maybe i could get one for a better-lit section of my apartment, i really want a plant of some sort that isn't hanging.
    I had dracaenas in my windowless bathroom for years when I lived in Florida so I also recommend those. I generally slaughter house plants, but even I couldn't kill those things.

Courtney, you can train any of the vining fruits/vegs to grow upright. Winter squashes, cucumber, melons. The larger fruits will have to be supported as they grow. I don't know how well any of these do in your climate, though. I tried to grow cantaloupe on a bamboo teepee once, and all I got was one cantaloupe the size of my balled fist and a plant covered in powdery mildew. Too cold and too damp from being so close to the sea.

So I took off all the leaf miner-infected leaves. My bean plants all look really bald and sad now. There were a lot of infected leaves! But at least the worms in my compost bin should be happy.

HTD, the University of Hawaii's agriculture department has a seed-selling program for hybrids and varietals that are resistant to various Hawaii-specific crop blights, so basically I have just been growing things that they sell because I figure that they're guaranteed to work well in my climate. So cucumbers yes, winter squash and melons not so much. But hopefully I'll be able to branch out later when I have a better sense of what works.
    Last edited by Courtney; 02-21-2010 at 10:54 AM.

I dug our garden last summer....16x4 feet....and like 8-9 inches deep to begin. It was like digging through concrete. It sucked. That said, we had some nice veggie plants and some flowers....it's all bare right now, gonna have to go dig it out and redo it again soon.

Erik, that's why I'm glad I'm doing container plants. Container plants and raised-bed gardening are the awesome/lazy way out.

What sorts of veggies and flowers did you plant, and are you going to plant the same things this summer?