Thread: How does one hire a band for a major charity event?

Question How does one hire a band for a major charity event?

My wife and I spend a lot of time working with and raising money for Casa Pacifica, a center for abused and neglected children in our area. One of the events we help out with is their Wine, Food & Brew Festival, where they raise nearly half a million dollars towards their operating budget each year.

This year’s festival is June 1st and although they have a reasonable budget for entertainment, they are having problems finding a band to play that afternoon. In the past, they’ve hired cover bands similar The Spazmatics and Boogie Nights who have played for anything from ‘cost’ all the way up to $15K+ from what I understand. I think they'll be open to anything (cover or not), that's entertaining and wine buzzed cougars could dance to.

Anyone in the LA area have a good contact or method for reaching out to talent for something like this?

The event is at CSU Channel Islands, near Camarillo.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Default Re: How does one hire a band for a major charity event?

Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

Come up with a list of bands you'd be interested in, look up their websites and/or facebooks. You should be able to find what tour agency they use, and maybe even the name of their specific tour agent, as well as any current dates. First, find bands that will be near your area on tour, or who are local to the area. Second, if you only find the tour agency, go to their website and the agent should be listed. Email the tour agent with the information you have. If you are going to do some discussions, be prepared to know what sort of venue you'll be providing (indoor/outdoor, what sort of soundsystem, any lighting, expected attendance, bar) whether you're willing to provide backline (gear that a touring band may need: there are agencies that rent backline, but I would include that as part of the price of performance if the act needs it) and what access/parking is like for vehicles. Email more than enough acts and see who responds. Negotiate with a few more until you can narrow it down to one act that you can get to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

You need a lot of money in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Perhaps there are other non-profit ensembles that would be willing to perform at a reasonable price. Collaboration with other NFPs is always a good option. For example, A Place Called Home, which is a Berklee College of Music "City Music" network member, has an ensemble that performs. I don't know how good they are but that would be an option.

I also don't know what "supper clubs" for the >40 set exist in the area (I'm thinking Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks) but I'd look at their lineups and pick one. There are also plenty of wedding bands that are phenomenal too that won't blow your budget and you'll have more $$ for the kids.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove