Thread: Car Camping WIFI internet

Talking Car Camping WIFI internet

Just FYI I will be repeating the camping area WIFI to my quarter of the car camping field, also will have misters set up and a large shade area in my camping spot. Look for the 20' pirate flag and WIFI sign. All are welcome to come kick it / check their email / cool off / down some brews.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

Default Re: Car Camping WIFI internet

Are you serious?

I always need to be online for my job. Coachella are some of the only days I actually let myself take a break.....

How are you bringing a wifi signal?
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

see you there

AWESOME? Is it even safe to bring a laptop? You charging?

Isn't the campsite with the pirate flag where everyone buys their drugs?

drugs and internets

Now we just have to find which tent has the brothel
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Now we just have to find which tent has the brothel
    you're looking for gps...

Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    you're looking for gps...
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    Isn't the campsite with the pirate flag where everyone buys their drugs?
    Haha so I always hear. Been putting one up every year and always get people asking about drugs. My drugs arent for sale!!!

no not charging or anything. just BYOB.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

you going to have a password or anything we will need to get from you directly or is it just gonna be an open connection?

How do you intend to do this exactly? For starters, how do you know how far away from the camping wifi you'll be? As a hired geek, I just don't see this working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Janky- you have some beers in my cooler!
    Rhythm is a dancer.

How do you intend to do this exactly? For starters, how do you know how far away from the camping wifi you'll be? As a hired geek, I just don't see this working.
    I don't see how this is a big deal, if he brings a wi-fi signal strength meter that'll tell him how far he is... and unless they stick you exactly where they want you (and they might), he should be fine.

Or, he could inquire with the organizers and take care of it in advance... I'd think they would appreciate the effort to improve everyone's environment.

What a nice pirate. <3

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I don't see how this is a big deal, if he brings a wi-fi signal strength meter that'll tell him how far he is... and unless they stick you exactly where they want you (and they might), he should be fine.

Or, he could inquire with the organizers and take care of it in advance... I'd think they would appreciate the effort to improve everyone's environment.
    Generally speaking they don't just let you set up wherever you want. They put you in order going straight down the line as people show up.

A wireless signal strength meter? That's not a thing. There is no such thing. You can sort of run such a thing as a software on your laptop, but there is no such thing as a meter you can walk around with to detect wireless signal strength. This is because a wireless signal is not a fucking radio station.

How far is it that you think a wireless signal will travel? I've actually set up wireless networks and attempts to extend and relay the signals a few dozen times. Have you? An N signal travels about 80-100 feet if you're really fucking lucky. Like REALLY fucking lucky. That's about 25-30 paces.

How do you propose he does this? Is this this cockamamie shit you were talking about in chat one night about how you think you can receive a wireless signal and then pump it out through the LAN to a router?

You clearly don't know anything about this subject. Why don't you go talk up Duran Duran some more and leave the real questions to people who actually know about it. Thanks.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

He isn't trying to camp near WiFi access he is creating his own personal hot spot for other people around him. I doubt the WiFi area will be a large area just around his own campsite, even then a 80 foot radius would be more than enough for what he wants to do.

Janky will probably use one of the Srint or Verizon mobile hot spots. I haven't got to try one of those out so i am unsure of the signal strength or the amount of simultaneous connections that they can support. I guess he might be able to teether a Cell phone to a laptop and then set that up as a wireless access point. The signal would also travel a little further in an open field than indoors, there is no conduit or piping to dampen the signal.

Edit: I just re read his post, I guess I am wrong. I thought he ment repeating as in repeating what he did last year. I didn't realize he was going to try and repeat the official Camping WiFi signal.
    Last edited by Blinken; 02-22-2010 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

A wireless signal strength meter? That's not a thing. There is no such thing. You can sort of run such a thing as a software on your laptop, but there is no such thing as a meter you can walk around with to detect wireless signal strength. This is because a wireless signal is not a fucking radio station.
    Sorry monklish they do have such meters http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/89d1/

worse still you can get a meter on a hat or t shirt
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...ats-ties/bd12/
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...eractive/991e/

But still there is no way any of the shit OP is talking about is gonna work, and who would be dumb enough to connect to an unsecured open signal hosted by a pirate.... perhaps a bunch of unsuspecting macbook toting scensters. Well anyway if you want internet go buy a broadband card or tether with your phone. Because really how much time do you plan on spending online while you are at coachella?

I've had to deal with connecting wireless through open air--it still doesn't stretch that far. I've seen a wireless signal be unusable even with an amplified directional antenna attached at a router aimed out a fucking window at a receiver only 70 feet away. WiFi is a fucking shitty technology is my point. And Blink, he says pretty explicitly in his opening post that he's talking about repeating the camping area WiFi, so, you're wrong.

Creating a network from your laptop generally provides a maximum of one connection to other devices. That's it. A laptop is not a router.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by damnvegetarian View Post
    Sorry monklish they do have such meters http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/89d1/

worse still you can get a meter on a hat or t shirt
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...ats-ties/bd12/
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app...eractive/991e/

But still there is no way any of the shit OP is talking about is gonna work, and who would be dumb enough to connect to an unsecured open signal hosted by a pirate.... perhaps a bunch of unsuspecting macbook toting scensters. Well anyway if you want internet go buy a broadband card or tether with your phone. Because really how much time do you plan on spending online while you are at coachella?
    That thing doesn't even detect N networks? What is this horseshit. Fine, I'll retract my stance on that point, but the device itself is fucking retarded anyway. I'm not interested in whether that device can see a network. I need to know if my laptop can see a network. Since that thing is not my laptop, it's a waste of my time.

Point is I don't think there are any tents except maybe a handful that are even remotely within 100 feet of the wifi tent. You don't need a fucking signal meter. You can clearly see where you're going to be able to get signal. You're not searching for water in the fucking desert. THERE'S the Wifi. THERE'S your tent, too far away from the fucking Wifi for this to work.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.