Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC Radio 1 Essential Mixes

Default Re: BBC Radio 1 Essential Mixes

anytime someone favorably mentions happy hardcore their opinions on music can probably be discredited instantly.

*edit*

not lumping hardcore in with that btw

Ohhh, i only heard about the twilo. I agree that he started playing shit from maybe 2003-2007 but his new production and what hes playing now is amazing. Have you checked out invol2ver yet randy?

*edit* have you heard the mix im talking about? Also, his set at monster massive was one of the sickest progressive sets ive ever heard.
    Last edited by djandrews25; 02-04-2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

My fav essential mixes in recent memory
    Flying Lotus
    Rusko
    Fake Blood
    Hudson Mohawke

I am a big fan of the Breezblock mixes but they are a lot harder to find on download than the essential mixes

God I wish people would shut the fuck up about Flying Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I like when Pete Tong says, "everybody in the UK make some noise!!"

But yeah, I think these are best for drives and working out to, too.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

Quote Originally Posted by LunaVC View Post
    all of them from '93 onwards are here with tracklists

http://www.essentialmixes.net/mixRes...rce+and+Styles

Enjoy
    This is HUGE!
    Thanks a lot Luna

I <3 the Essential Mix, I'm always waiting on the Mixingbowl.org for the newest one to be posted. Great stuff.

Trentmoller has to be one of the best in the last few years....wish Vitalic was at Coachella, maybe next year.

Seriously right

I don't want all teh Emos to post comments on like how Boys Noize is amazing and the best mix and how DnB is the best music ever.

Really not interested. I don't need Coachella to tell me what good dance music is.

But one thing I will say is, it's very biased, as there is a lack of old skool hardcore and happy hardcore and considering those styles of music made so much money and were so popular in the mid 90s, there should be more mixes like those.

I mean, in 1994 I don't think anybody was listening to Evil Eddie Richards if I'm honest. The frickin Hot Chip of of the early 90s.

Hardcore/Happy hardcore has to be some of the worst garbage on the planet, go to fuckin Germany for all that Gabber House/hardstyle/Hardcore crap, those germans love that shit. You need to realize you don't live in the 90's and you might just want to stop going to events, unless you want to go to one of those lame candy kid partys that still play that hardcore shit for lames like you. You could even be the 40+ year old weirdo kicking it hitting on the rolled out/K'd out 13 year olds, imagine how much fun you could have.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I like when Pete Tong says, "everybody in the UK make some noise!!"

But yeah, I think these are best for drives and working out to, too.

They are the best for people like me who work on computers all day, pop 4 essential mixes onto a playlist and you are set for the whole shift haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    Hardcore/Happy hardcore has to be some of the worst garbage on the planet, go to fuckin Germany for all that Gabber House/hardstyle/Hardcore crap, those germans love that shit. You need to realize you don't live in the 90's and you might just want to stop going to events, unless you want to go to one of those lame candy kid partys that still play that hardcore shit for lames like you. You could even be the 40+ year old weirdo kicking it hitting on the rolled out/K'd out 13 year olds, imagine how much fun you could have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    When Luna talks about Hardcore from the early 90s he isn't talking about Gabber which is what most people consider Hardcore. He's talking about the origins of rave music and stuff like early Prodigy, Altern 8, SL2, Kaotic Chemistry, Austin, Human Resource, Kicks Like A Mule, Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era, Acen etc. Labels like Suburnban Bass, Production House, early XL, etc. This style of music went by a lot of names, Hardcore, Rave, Hard Breaks etc. It was pretty much one of the reasons EDM took off across Europe and American tried to capitalize on this in the early 90s by releasing a string of the big anthems. There was a time when every major label in America had a sub label releasing this stuff over here. Now what we call Happy Hardcore from the late 90s is pretty wank. I totally agree.
    You should read better.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    When Luna talks about Hardcore from the early 90s he isn't talking about Gabber which is what most people consider Hardcore. He's talking about the origins of rave music and stuff like early Prodigy, Altern 8, SL2, Kaotic Chemistry, Austin, Human Resource, Kicks Like A Mule, Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era, Acen etc. Labels like Suburnban Bass, Production House, early XL, etc. This style of music went by a lot of names, Hardcore, Rave, Hard Breaks etc. It was pretty much one of the reasons EDM took off across Europe and American tried to capitalize on this in the early 90s by releasing a string of the big anthems. There was a time when every major label in America had a sub label releasing this stuff over here. Now what we call Happy Hardcore from the late 90s is pretty wank. I totally agree.
    I guess that makes sense I got into EDM in 1996...don't know much about later "hardcore" , just the shit I heard was trash back then

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

This is something I actually released to a Prodigy fansite about 2004 or so. It was Liam Howlett from The Prodigy doing a guestmix on a radio station in Dallas in early 1993. If you want an example of Hardcore from back then, this is it. It makes me happy to see this is all over the net 6 years later, haha.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

not feelin the hate towards hardcore on this site yo

Check this right, if you go to www.kniteforcerevolution.com or .co.uk can't remember

you can download all the Remix and Kniteforce Records back catalogue.

For free.

But that's if you like 1994-95 hardcore tho.

And hardcore in those days was pretty much all breakbeat.

My heart sinks when Monkfish gets into my threads cos you know he's gonna try and burn me first.

My heart sinks when Monkfish gets into my threads cos you know he's gonna try and burn me first.
    I have yet to do that. In general I'm less annoyed by British opinions about EDM. Far as I'm concerned pretty much all the shit actually worth listening to comes from the UK.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I have yet to do that. In general I'm less annoyed by British opinions about EDM. Far as I'm concerned pretty much all the shit actually worth listening to comes from the UK.
    SEE

It's true. I had a fucking huge argument with a collection of douchebags on here several years back about whether or not the UK was basically responsible for 90 plus percent of all the good EDM from 1990 through the early 2000s. I couldn't fucking believe that people actually thought they could argue the point.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by slapuinpublic View Post
    I guess that makes sense I got into EDM in 1996...don't know much about later "hardcore" , just the shit I heard was trash back then

I have the same impression of hardcore as you, ever since i've been into EDM Hardcore has always been crap like Ron D Core and all that junk.

not feelin the hate towards hardcore on this site yo

Check this right, if you go to www.kniteforcerevolution.com or .co.uk can't remember

you can download all the Remix and Kniteforce Records back catalogue.

For free.

But that's if you like 1994-95 hardcore tho.

And hardcore in those days was pretty much all breakbeat.

Never really checked much into the early 90's Hardcore being as the modern day shit is terrible, like i said ^, Hardcore to me is people like Ron D Core. I love breakbeats, so if you say it's pretty much breaks i should enjoy it.

I don't even know what Ron D Core is.

Guess I've been skooled

Yeah, you got schooled by a guy who's looking forward to fucking Major Lazer.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Yeah, you got schooled by a guy who's looking forward to fucking Major Lazer.
    ha ha oh shit monkzz

that was munny yo

All the hardcore i heard in the mid to late 90s was absolute shit. That includes all genres. If this hardcore you guys say was good in the early 90s was actually decent, why did it die out within a few years. Lets just agree that luna has bad taste in edm and hardcore died a much deserved death.
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync

I don't even know what Ron D Core is.

Guess I've been skooled
    wasn't trying to school you, i don't really know shit about hardcore so i couldn't school anyone. i was just saying that i didn't know hardcore was different than it's current state in the early 90's and i was going to download some of the stuff off the site you suggested and give it a listen to see if i liked it.

You should read better.
    pretty sure this is what he was referring to.

But one thing I will say is, it's very biased, as there is a lack of old skool hardcore and happy hardcore and considering those styles of music made so much money and were so popular in the mid 90s, there should be more mixes like those.

People need to understand that early hardcore, we now refer to as "Old Skool" encompasses different styles of music including:
    4 Hero
    Prodigy
    FSOL
    Nightmares on Wax
    SL2
    Ellis Dee
    Rennie Pilgrem was a member of....Rhythm Section and Rennie is big in breaks.

Could list more, but you get my drift. Even Go by Moby gets played at Hardcore raves that are 199-1992 specific.

And in 1995 hardcore (happy) would get mixed with Jungle/DnB.

The music split in 1992 and totally became different genres after that around 96.

1995 Jungle and Hardcore were both excellent. Haven't been the same since.

Andrew: Hardcore split into a bunch of different genres, Jungle, Happy Hardcore, Breaks etc. This all started happening about 1992/93ish. Back then Hardcore was all breakbeat based like Luna stated. It died out partly because of the huge amount of press and airplay it got in the UK especially. It's hard to believe but this stuff was actually charting on the radio and selling huge amounts of records. Labels like XL who later went on to become proper labels releasing MIA, The White Stripes etc in the UK all started out as Rave labels who made a shit ton of money early on. There were also a lot of political things going on in the time such as the Rave law act that tried to ban and stop all outdoor parties. The music tried to distance itself from what was the pinnacle of the rave scene at that time.

"Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

Quote Originally Posted by djandrews25 View Post
    All the hardcore i heard in the mid to late 90s was absolute shit. That includes all genres. If this hardcore you guys say was good in the early 90s was actually decent, why did it die out within a few years. Lets just agree that luna has bad taste in edm and hardcore died a much deserved death.
    The reason it died out is that it split into jungle and happy hardcore.

EDIT: Donald beat me to it.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Like what I am saying is, teh Essential Mix started off as bollox cos in 1993 no one was listening to Pete Tong playing commercial dance like Happy Clappers.
    They were listening to Doc Scott and stuff like that.

Stuff like Nino, Baby D, Urban Shakedown (Mickey Finn). All hardcore

Another thing people don't understand why we keep going back to hardcore is, we want staccato pianoes, soulful vocals and synths, like proper rave 303s and hoover noises.

Surkin has a little of that, but that's why we love hardocre, and we want people to experiment. There's not enough "sounds" anymore.

That's why people still like hardcore. Abundance of "sounds"

Ok, so im understanding that hardcore split off into genres of music that today arent anything like hardcore at all. So basically for lack of a better name for a genre, they called everything hardcore.

Nah, most people call this stuff Old School or Old School Rave. I still call it Hardcore Breaks which is what we called it back then in Dallas. I happened to know what Luna was talking about when he said Hardcore because A) he's English and the right age group and B) we got into a big argument a year or two ago. I think he would concur that Gabber or hardcore coming out today is total crap.