Thread: Great Studio Act vs. Great Live Act - Show choices

Default Great Studio Act vs. Great Live Act - Show choices

Hey ladies and gents,

Just something I was rollin around in my head. Many times when you go to a show of a band whose CD you really like and listen to all the time, you get exactly what you expected and nothing more. You stand there, bob your head a little, maybe dance a little and watch the band. Although it's always better than sitting at home and talking on internet forums about the band, it's still predictable and sometimes a little boring.

Then there are times when you go to a show because a friend drags you along, even though you've never heard of them. To your surprise, you encounter a very interesting stage show or performance and start to get into the mood. You don't know the words or the tunes, but you feel like dancing and so does everyone else.

When deciding which shows to see at Coachella, given the vast diversity of the performers, I think I'm going to try to lean towards the latter this year. For example, last year I saw a few great bands whose CD's I love (YYY, Tool, Clap Your Hands, My Morning Jacket, Eagles of Death Metal, Bloc Party) and it wasn't that fun. It sounded good, but it wasn't an amazing experience or anything.

On the other hand, I had some unforgettable experiences seeing performances that I wasn't (at the time) very familiar with, and that were more on the edgy side of things. (Mogwai, Daft Punk, Animal Collective, Gnarls Barkley, Mylo, Sigur Ros, Wolfmother)

Since last year, of course, I really got into these acts and listen to their CD's all the time now.

So, I ask you guys, who are the acts this year that will provide the unexpected, amazing live experiences that most of us wouldn't predict?

So far, I'm eyeing Faithless, Gogol Bordello, Bjork, !!!, LCD Soundsystem, Girl Talk, Explosions in the Sky, Klaxons and Anathallo as some potential stand-out performances.

I'll still be there for Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, GBQ, Tapes n Tapes, etc. if I can...but I'm looking forward to the more unique live experiences this year.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Great Studio Act vs. Great Live Act - Show choices

Quote Originally Posted by im so indie View Post
    On the other hand, I had some unforgettable experiences seeing performances that I wasn't (at the time) very familiar with, and that were more on the edgy side of things. (Mogwai, Daft Punk, Animal Collective, Gnarls Barkley, Mylo, Sigur Ros, Wolfmother)

So far, I'm eyeing Faithless, Gogol Bordello, Bjork, !!!, LCD Soundsystem, Girl Talk, Explosions in the Sky, Klaxons and Anathallo as some potential stand-out performances.

I'll still be there for Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys, GBQ, Tapes n Tapes, etc. if I can...but I'm looking forward to the more unique live experiences this year.
    I saw Sigur Ros at Coachella 2001 before I had even heard their music..I had read a article where Thom Yorke mentioned them (He said they sounded like and I quote "Taking your land rover over a frozen lake with the heaters turned on full" or something to that nature). I thought what the hell and I was fucking blown away by them..I am thinking Gogol Bordello with be the winner this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Soulwax will be amazing, as will AIR, LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip.

I saw Gogol Bordello at warped tour 2 years ago (free ticket) and they were so fun to watch.

Explosions will be this year's Mogwai. They're so intense on stage and I love watching Munaf and the bass player going crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sddoctor View Post
    Soulwax will be amazing, as will AIR, LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip.
    Ya know, lots of people on here rave about Air. I listened to Moon Safari a few times and checked them out on Youtube a little and gotta say I'm not sure about it. Depending on slot time, I'm willing to check out the show and trust ya'll that it'll be cool.

MAN MAN

!!! was great. i saw them for the first time at coachella a few years ago and i just had to dance. lots of energy. then i saw them at some small venue in hollywood, i dont remember which one, and they were still amazing. even more so because we were so confined. i cant wait to see them this year.
    '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '12 '13 '13

Banned

Digitalism should be a solid set. I saw them at Pukkelpop 06 in Belgium. Think Daft Punkish.

and I did go all the way to Belgium just to see Daft Punk again because Coachella performance was just INSANE!

Jarvis Cocker has mad stage presence.

Rage Against the Machine is an amazing live act.
    Hugs are free.