Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend some bands in the small print that are worth listening to

Default Re: Recommend some bands in the small print that are worth listening to

What Temper Trap song would you recommend checking out?

Same goes for Little Dragon.

Tried listening to A Brief History of Love again and despite the choruses and hooks looming large (especially on Domino), the lyrics leave much to be desired.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Coachella Junkie

Delete.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoc&ndy View Post
    yeah check out the big pink, they sound like a modern mix of jamc, mbv, and some of their beats are new wave ish sort like depeche mode. the vocals are pretty hipster but still fit the music really well

baroness - amazing psychedelic art metal/stoner rock don't miss them, they're amazing live

flying lotus - one of the dopest hip hop producers out right now and he also puts on an amazing show

sunny day real estate - legends of emo/post rock who recently reunited

mayer hawthorne - if you like motown era soul done well, check him out

deerhunter - post rock/shoegaze band that puts on an awesome show. for fans of sonic youth

the glitch mob - group of producers who make an extremely danceable form of club and glitchy hip hop

mew - listen to "and the glass handed kites". sort of a mix between sigur ros and muse

old crow medicine show - do not miss them. they play bluegrass/blues/alt country/folk/ and old time music. complete with a stand up bass, guitjo, banjo, violin, and vocal harmonies that will send shivers down your spine

yann tiersen - has done the soundtrack for movies and creates other worldly music. some videos i've seen he plays some really good post rock as well
    These are really helpful, so thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    I will definitely have to agree that 2010, despite its overall awesomeness, is really lacking in the small print. 2008 and 2009 were fantastic in the lower half of the lineup, and in fact, I think that's what really made each weekend great (KraftPortisPrince aside). This year seems to pale in comparison... at least according to this listener's taste... there are few standouts, and an unusual amount of crap (As Tall As Lions, etc.)

But with that said, I'm sure you've already heard Beach House and formed an opinion of them, but they're one of my most looked-forward-to acts of the weekend.
    Gotta disagree with you here, was at fest last two years and more excited/more potential conflicts with this year's lower tier than last two...my guess is when all is said and done, just like last two years...undercards will reveal an embarassment of riches.

My Thoughts on some of the acts, most based on owning their recorded work rather than having seen live.

The Avett Brothers - very mainstream sounding, upbeat Alt-country Folk with vocals vaguely reminiscent of The Band (but more generic in feel). Heard very good things about them live though.

La Roux - Another Synthy Dance popper in the early Goldfrapp/Robyn et al vein.

Dillinger Escape Plan - Really interesting metal band known for their bizarre right turns and very short tunes (almost the Minutemen of metal). Check out the song Milk Lizard off their last...possibly the best (and maybe only) use of brass in a full blown metal song I've heard in many a year.

Ra Ra Riots - Basically Vampire Weekend with the keyboards replaced by strings...not nearly as consistent as songwriters as VW, but do have a few great tracks, especially Ghost Under Rocks, and I've got to believe they'll be better than VW live (as only MGMT and Beach House amongst bands I've already seen could be worse).

Deer Tick - Nasally Alt country Folk Rock with a Lo-Fi Dylanesque feel. I like these guys overall sound quite a bit.

Baroness - Along with Dillinger, another Huge Metal band of the moment.

Saturday - Great, Great acts here at the bottom of the bill.

Girls - Feels like a cross between Aim Is True era Elvis Costello and glammier 70s acts like T-Rex. Great life story behind lead singer I encourage everyone to seek out...their 2009 release ALBUM is easily one of the year's 10 or 15 best and an absolute charmer. Unless their head to head with Frigthened Rabbits early, I won't miss.

Beach House - Have the hottest album of the moment right now critical speaking...Teen Dreams, but I caught them live earlier this year with Grizzly Bear and like their music, super low energy...could be good as an ease into the day or end of day chill set, but despite the quality of their latest release, I can't recommend them live...really boring.

White Rabbits - Skaish New York band with a few great tracks and a lively Indie sound...worth checking out if no major conflicts, not if going head to head with another band you have to see.

Corinne Bailey Rae - Front runner right now in best Soul Album of 2010 sweepstakes. Mainstream female led light R&B, but of very high quality.

Flying Lotus - As someone else said, one of the best dub/beat artists in world right now...played dome last year...but very abstract/all instrumental/sample. I gravitate more towards the full band artists as opposed to the turntable/laptop based artists...so this is probably a no for me.

Frightened Rabbit - My #1 must see on whole day for Saturday, loved their last album...Gritty Irish Folk-Rock feel with broguish lead vocalist...but some monster tunes like Modern Leper, Good Arms Vs. Bad Arms, and my Favorite Keep Yourself Warm.

Camera Obscura - Female Led Band with sunny 60s AM pop sound...fun vocals, very limited stylistically...will probably try to catch for ten-20 minutes and hope to hear French Navy or Sweetest Thing in that time span but then move on...don't feel like their worth a full set.

Sia - Haven't heard, but has great live reputation.

Ravonettes - decent sounding but ultimately very limited Shoe Gaze act...a couple awesome songs and the rest completely indistinguishable from each other...another good if you don't have anyone at same time slot you have to see, but don't worry if your heart draws you elsewhere.

John Waters - I might check out, as I edited his A&E Biography for television years back and found him to be one of the funniest men on the planet, but as with everyone, my guess this is just a monologue performance.

SUNDAY - Possibly best single day undercard of last three years...conflicts will be brutal.

Deerhunter - Way Cool rock/shoegaze/ambient act. Very eclectic collections of songs to draw from so impossible to know if set will play mellow/hard rocking etc...but band leader Branford Cox is one of the big, big dogs of the indie world, as prolific and collaborative as Jack White...this is pretty much a must see unless they end up playing later in the evening against the even bigger dogs.

Florence and the Machine - Fabulous Young British Female White Soul Singer with very eclectic range and a huge voice....kind a Kate Bush persona with an Annie Lennox Voice...I've seen others say she's not that good live, but her latest album is excellent with more than enough top flight material to make for an awesome setlist.

King Kahn and the Shrines - Potentially the Break out Act of the whole festival...delivers a super lively brand of over the top late 60s/early 70s heavy psychadelic soul. Can't imagine this set being anything other than an absolute blast...same kind of feeling I had for Sharon Jones in 2007.

Miike Snow - Really likeable young indie pop band - worth checking out.

The Big Pink - Halfway between Oasis and more Dance related UK Brethren...uneven, but imagine this set will be quite lively and they have some very good songs.

Matt & Kim - A poppier version of She & Him, and probably even more charming/fun.

Yo Lo Tengo - One of the most beloved and longest lasting indie acts of all time. Have an enormous back catalog, so impossible to know what they'll play, but I think it's safe to say they'll be a couple of cute female lead numbers and at least one barn burner Velvet Underground style guitar freakout. I won't miss them unless up against Sly or Deerhunter or King Kahn, but I've never seen before and both vocalists are very thin voiced...so it's possible they're not that great live.

Jonsi - Sigur Ros lead singer...have no Idea what to expect, but having never seen Sigur Ros, very tempted to catch this set.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 02-03-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    What Temper Trap song would you recommend checking out?
    Check out Sweet Disposition and Science of Fear. I first heard Science of Fear from the Mistabishi remix (although this clearly is a D&B remix) which I prefer over the original. You be the judge.

The original:
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

PORTUGAL. THE MAN !!!!!

check their myspace...they've had their entire cd "the satanic satanist" streaming for months now and this cd easily made them one of my favorite bands that i've heard in quite some time...

cant wait to see them live, hope they delivery live as well as they do on cd

Friday: La Roux, Yeasayer, the Cribs, Aeroplane

Saturday: edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros, Portugal. The Man... need to look into more on this day, haha.

Sunday: Matt & Kim, Miike Snow, Florence & the Machine, Little Boots, Delphic

Hockey!!!
    Modest Mouse, YYY, The XX, Postal Service, Blur, Franz Ferdinand, James Blake, Grimes, Wild Belle, Yeasayer, Wild Nothing, Tame Impala, Jake Bugg, Jessie Ware, The Selecter, The Faint, Tegan & Sara, The 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, OMD, Vampire Weekend, New Order, The Evens, Robert DeLong, Savages, Parov Stelar Band

Coachella: 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 2010
    Outside Lands: 08, 2010, 2012

FRIDAY
    wolfgang gartner
    as tall as lions
    Porcupine Tree
    Flying Lotus
    Bassnectar
    infected mushroom

Go Raiders!!!

I'm gonna have to say if you don't already know, to check out Frightened Rabbit for Saturday. Very passionate and just good fucking song writing and honest lyrics.

------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

I find it's not that hard to actually check out the artists yourself rather than relying on other people having exactly the same taste as you (especially as nobody will have).
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

The Temper Trap
    Tracks- Science of Fear, Down River, Sweet Disposition

Phoenix
    Tracks- Sometimes In The Fall, 1901, Lisztomania

Miike Snow
    Tracks- In Search Of, Animal, This Horse Is Not A Home

Delphic
    Tracks- Clarion Call, Red Lights, Counterpoint

Frank Turner
    Tracks- I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous, The Ballad Of Me And My Friends, Jet Lag

i saw deer tick last summer in toronto and they totally killed it.
    was a wild, great show. Jack Daniels being passed around, stagediving, crowd-wide singalongs, it was great. how they'll translate from dingy bar to field in the day i can't tell, but they played a terrific set.
    Also, Hockey were great at bonnaroo last year.

old school

Zoe - awesome psychedelic/alternative Mexican rock band.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

I really like Whitest Boy Alive... It's pop rock mixed with funky/soul-filled riffs.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

local natives. their live shows are very good.

I have been watching all the youtube videos for the bands and I am interested in seeing she&him and also POS

I'm really digging Baroness right now, very similar to Mastodon in my opinion.

Deerhunter, King Khan and The Shrines, Beach House, Florence and The Machine. Yes in that order. I am huge fan of Deerhunter (Bradford Cox is the man) and King Khan and The Shrines in particular.

in my humble opinion...

friday
    •calle 13: latin band. they're categorized as "reggeaton," but they have an 11 piece band. they're music is more latin than merely reggeaton, they're hip-hop, rock and even some beautiful ballads. i was apprehensive to see them live. they were in between acts i wanted to see. they we pretty damn awesome live. the singer is lively as fuck. his little sister as an impressive backup vocalist and his half-brother is a great multi-instrumentalist (think johnny greenwood to radiohead). granted, he flows in spanish, but he's a lyrical genius. if you don't mind not understanding 99% of what you're watching, i'd say at least walk by their set and maybe the vibe will draw you in. next to grave jones and vampire weekend, they are the highlight for this day.
    •the whitest boy alive (so simple, so catchy!).
    •céu (my husband likes this brazilian singer. i'd check it out).

saturday
    •john waters (legendary!).
    •sia (said to have a pretty good live show. listen to "breathe me," so nice).
    •mew (they're so complex, but i'm looking forward to their music being translated live. listen to "introducing palace players" the syncopation is pretty nice and "repeaterbeater," good little short song).
    •aterciopelados (latin alternative band from colombia. they have seven albums, but they have an energetic live reputation [if they don't do their sleepy ambient stuff]).

sunday
    •talvin singh (british/indian tabla player and dj. if he has a live band, it'll be pretty awesome. he's an asian underground (southeaster asia) pioneer. this is a genre influenced by western underground dance and traditional indian music).
    •babasónicos (beloved argentinian rockers. they've been around since '91 and have nine albums out. i'd check them out for the same reasons i'm checking out yo la tengo and sunny day real state).

in hindsight, i can tell this is a latin/world perspective of who to check out, but i hadn't noticed anytime speak of these artists.

have a great weekend!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, garage rock band from LA. The song "Love Me, Kill Me" picked by Little Steven VanZant as the "Coolest song in the world March 4th, 2012" plays on his XM 21 station. Gobi stage 11:40AM Saturdays... they do not sound like anyone else...

http://www.kisskissbangbangmusic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rdunsmoor View Post
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, garage rock band from LA. The song "Love Me, Kill Me" picked by Little Steven VanZant as the "Coolest song in the world March 4th, 2012" plays on his XM 21 station. Gobi stage 11:40AM Saturdays... they do not sound like anyone else...

http://www.kisskissbangbangmusic.com/
    Kill this thread now! You restarted a thread on 2010 bands to mention a band whose website declares them to be fucking models and hairstylists! Unless you're blowing the lead singer I cannot figure out what possessed you to do this.

Thanks Philabuttster.... from dah Bay Area... You dont like garage rock, I get it. Little Steven does!

Still relevant info.