Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel

Default Re: Peter Gabriel

I'm not much of an audiophile, though my ear is getting better in that sense. But fucking A, the difference between my 192kbps download of So on my shit speakers at school and my LP copy that I am listening to at home on my pretty good stereo is night and day. So much more density and sonic detail that I had never really noticed.

Was anyone else here at the Bowl last night for the New Blood Tour? Here's my quickie review from row 18, section F1-

So many highlights it's hard to know where to start! I was taken back by how well Peter's songs worked with just orchestra. I already figured songs like Signal To Noise and Washing of the Water would work with an orchestra only. But Darkness was even more menacing than the electric version and Digging in the Dirt felt transformed into a new song from previous versions. He did most (all?) of Scratch My Back for the first half before taking a brief intermission. I thought Talking Head's The Listening Wind was my fave there with Bowie's Heroes also being an outstanding moment.

The "New Blood" orchestra were fantastic and I believe consisted of LA Philharmonic players (aka the best in the business). Also, I have to say this about Peter's voice- there were several times I closed my eyes and just listened to it. So hard to believe he still sounds this good. There are no other vocalists in rock music who have been around as long as he has that still sound this way. I would even go so far as to say he sounded as good if not better last night than any of his shows I've seen this decade. Perfect tone and pitch. Damned amazing! Acoustically and musically it was the best show I have seen at the Bowl.

Visually the show did not feel stripped down in the least for a Peter Gabriel performance, even though there were only a handful of dates on this tour. I was hopeful someone here might have some pictures of the incredible front and back screens so please post if you do. There were a lot of highlights, including an "interactive" screen with a large hand on it manipulating things like dirt (during Digging in the Dirt) over Peter's singing image.

I know plenty of older generation "classic" rock artists like Roger Waters (who can't sing anymore) get plenty of play around these forums. But truthfully Peter Gabriel is at this point the best sounding singer of his generation. Even better than Bowie based on the last live recordings I heard out of him.

Final note (and this goes back to a comment I made in the Chemical Brothers @ The Bowl thread)- The one complaint I consistently have at Hollywood Bowl shows reared its head last night- THE TALKERS! For Peter's sake, there was a couple of girls behind me who could just not for the life of them shut their yaps! I mean, is everything SO funny in life that you cannot stop giggling for 2 seconds? Fortunately the lady next to me had enough about 20 minutes in and gave them a brow beating. It did not stop them altogether but it helped. Seriously people, I am not trying to ruin anyone's idea of a good time but last night was an off the hook amazing performance by a legend. if you were talking about your lousy job and the guy/girl you have a crush on while Pete was performing the Listening Wind, You = Fail At Life.

Great night overall! Love Peter Gabriel!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Fuck, I wish I had the time/funds for this.

Lightbulb Re: Peter Gabriel

for those of you who missed last nigts show, NO DRUMS, NO GUITAR, just a slamming 53+ piece ORCHESTRA!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rphzok-vXvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrVFRvh4-M

http://soundcloud.com/doitlikearobot...hollywood-bowl

Thanks for that sorryfornopics. I forgot about the Ode To Joy bit in Solsbury Hill- perfect!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Really bummed I missed this.

Now that I am watching all the videos, I am more than really bummed I missed this. Fuck.

There's an audience recording of this on Dime right now.

I also recently downloaded a boot of a Lamb show, and there's now way PG could sing Back in NYC anymore, but I agree that his voice continues to be in fine form for his solo catalog.
    "This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

His cover of "Heroes" totally kills me. Maybe this should go in the confessions thread.

My Body Is A Cage

Personally I think seeing Peter Gabriel on the Polo Fields would be pretty damn cool if he came with a full production.

http://www.nme.com/news/peter-gabriel/59580

Peter Gabriel's new album 'New Blood' has been made available to stream online a week ahead of its release (October 10) – scroll down and click below to hear it.

The former Genesis man has reimagined 12 of his classic tracks for the record, which follows 2010's covers album 'Scratch My Back'.

Songs such as 'Digging In The Dirt', 'Downside Up' and 'San Jacinto' have been reworked by composer and arranger John Metcalfe, alongside Gabriel and the 46 piece New Blood Orchestra, conducted by Ben Foster.??

The album also features a version of 'Solsbury Hill' which is preceded by 'A Quiet Moment' – five minutes of ambient sound recorded on Solsbury Hill, Somerset.

Gabriel has also re-recorded his 1986 single 'Don't Give Up' with singer Ane Brun.

He recently revealed that the original track was supposed to feature Dolly Parton, who turned down the guest spot. In the end he said he was "glad" to have completed the recording with Kate Bush instead.
    Last edited by shotglass75; 10-04-2011 at 06:33 AM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Nice !

I saw both showings of New Blood in 3D at the Regal here in LA a few months back. That was an outstanding performance and the same one that will be on the Blu Ray release.

Polo Fields? Sure. Seem him outdoor many times. His music translates well into that type of environment. The recent SB Bowl being a great example of it.

At this point though, would like to see him do something similar to his Warm Up Summer tour of Europe a few years back when he did much of the Plays Live era stuff with full electric band. Flew UK-side for that one. Great show!

Lightbulb Re: Peter Gabriel

"Bloom" (Released on Splash Screen earlier today) screams Peter Gabriel. 13' Headliner anyone?
    An elegant death by glow sticks.

...05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13' and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by newalias View Post
    "Bloom" (Released on Splash Screen earlier today) screams Peter Gabriel. 13' Headliner anyone?
    We should be so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by newalias View Post
    He said he's taking all of 2013 off to do a worldwide with his family now that all of his kids are old enough to be able to appreciate it and young enough to be able to do it without missing out on their lives. I guess he could include Palm Springs for two weeks, but he's a perfectionist when it comes to live performances so that would require him to be rehearsing assiduously for months. I'd say that's almost certainly not going to happen, even though it definitely should. The So tour was incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Peter Gabriel has tour dates listed that begin a few weeks after Coachella. It means absolutely nothing. Or does it?!?!?!!?

Peter Gabriel into Arcade Fire could be cool.

Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Even after seeing him in Santa Barbara I would kill for this. This would completely make 2014 for me. Unfortunately it would have to be an Outdoor theater type set and likely very stripped down compared to the 2012 tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I'm surprised he hasn't played yet. it seems to me that Peter Gabriel and Coachella are a perfect match.

has he ever even played a festival?
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Peter Gabriel once walked within 2 feet of me.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    has he ever even played a festival?
    Yes his own fest. He co-founded WOMAD. I worked the "So" show in Vegas. I stood about 15 feet away off to the side of the stage behind him. He is a hell of a keyboardist.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

"Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

He was playing a drum.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Yes his own fest. He co-founded WOMAD. I worked the "So" show in Vegas. I stood about 15 feet away off to the side of the stage behind him. He is a hell of a keyboardist.
    Headlined one of the nights at Woodstock 1994 and might have closed the whole thing.

I'd only think it's a good idea if he has a new rock album or original material.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    He was playing a drum.
    Please go on.
    "This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Headlined one of the nights at Woodstock 1994 and might have closed the whole thing.

I'd only think it's a good idea if he has a new rock album or original material.
    It doesn't matter what you think.

There exists a hefty Peter Gabriel catalogue from which to draw.

It would be tremendous with or without new material.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCaygeon View Post
    Please go on.
    It was 1982.

Was he the intruder?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Was he the intruder?
    CSB- as soon as I saw he was doing Intruder during the Warm Up Summer tour in EU many years ago, I bought a ticket to the UK and hopped a flight over there to see it. Plus he was doing Family Snapshot and On The Air consistently. Got all those and even Lovetown. Zawose Family opened. Fuk I sure wish he would do Coachella.

Edit- I may have told this story before. Expect it about 100x times.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    It doesn't matter what you think.

There exists a hefty Peter Gabriel catalogue from which to draw.

It would be tremendous with or without new material.
    I'm not convinced Coachella attendees under 35 would care. They should, but didn't at the couple times I've seen PG live.

The orchestral thing would put a festival asleep. The videos I saw of the complete SO tour shows didn't do much for me, it's didn't hit the Northwest.