Page 58 of 120 FirstFirst ... 5354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 3600

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Alright fuck it I'm not tweaking the kerning for another week. I'm letting this thing go before it consumes my life any longer. My last submission was it, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherman View Post
    Is it just me, or have the Dandy Warhols played every festival ever.

(...besides coachella)
    They played Coachella in 2001. Early afternoon in the blazing sun. It was quite hilarious. Also the live horns were lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I was thinking about entering into one of these things, or even a couple, I had a few line ups in my mind. But I am not going to anymore for 2 reasons a) I have no idea how to use photoshop and b) there are far too many good ones.
    Yeah, I really wanted to do this also, Rage. The actual poster design was easy, but with all the years I've experienced music in my life, I never got as nerded out over all the facts and details as many of your have. Christ, I spent almost 6 hours one night looking shit up, and managed to even get sidetracked by a few links to favorite bands and imfo I didn't know, and then totally spacing out on any further poster work. I wanted to do the year, 1981and actually have what I consider the start to a lineup, but I got held up trying to learn about newly discovered bands at the time. Unfortunately, because I spent all those years enjoying the music instead of over analyzing it, I would probably need until Febuary of next year before I could turn one in that met all the detailed criteria you guys seem so expert about. Maybe I will or maybe I won't submit what I have going.. Right now, the 2 reasons I have holding me back are the facts that 1) You guys have already imbedded the idea in your mind that anything I do on this board is retarded or offensive and it wouldn't matter if I was Picasso at this point. Your opinions are set. And, 2) Because it's later in the game and some have mentioned how people could steal lineups, I'd feel that all my research would go unappreciated and you'd claim I stole your ideas. Jesus, people! There is only so much muisc to go around, and by the looks of the entry lists, how can you not end up duplicating some groups from another's poster? For now, I'll just enjoy the knowledge I'm gaining through this research while appreciating the awesome amount of talent I'm seeing here. If I feel all my studying may pay off before the deadline, maybe then I'll share.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    ok, finally done. My 1996 poster, featuring The Monkees reunited - they had gotten back together for a serious of sold out gigs in the UK.

also... there is a just got laughs act on here that pays homage to a certain film that was released the same year..

That's a pretty damn good lineup....this should be in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Updated the poster (refresh). Hole, Marilyn Manson, UNKLE are gone, things have been moved around, a few acts have been added including Madness (they did a US reunion tour in '98) and Big Baby Jesus.
    I feel bad for Homme, playing double duty with both QotSA and Desert Sessions!

ok, finally done. My 1996 poster, featuring The Monkees reunited - they had gotten back together for a serious of sold out gigs in the UK.
    I don't usually care about billing order, but did Powderfinger actually make an impact in the United States? I thought Australia was the only country that cared about them, and they didn't become big time rock stars here until 2000.

Also, Eagles of Death Metal may be on your poster a few years too early...
    Up Next: Cobra Starship, Gogol Bordello, Talib Kweli & Jean Grae

I didn't notice the wallflowers were on two days - thought I only had them on one.

And is it really that far-fetched for some of those 3rd line acts? Throbbing Gristle was first on the 3rd line at coachella this year.

I'll give you that the 2nd line billings are questionable, those may be worked on a bit.
    I'd consider Throbbing Gristle a bigger band than any of the 3rd liners, but I guess I take your point.

And, I guess, to make me look dumb, Gang of Four actually was on the second line in 2005... so having them there in 1996 isn't as hilarious as I thought. I mean, I'm sure they grew in reputation in those 9 years but not enough for hilarity.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Psicosis View Post

I don't usually care about billing order, but did Powderfinger actually make an impact in the United States? I thought Australia was the only country that cared about them, and they didn't become big time rock stars here until 2000.

Also, Eagles of Death Metal may be on your poster a few years too early...
    Powderfinger did drop Parables for Wooden Ears in 1994 I think, and it was pretty successful and well received. I wouldn't put it past GV to get a one-off from them.

And you are right about Eagles of Death Metal - that's an embarrassing mistake on my part. I had them on another list for another year (1998). That will be changed tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I'd consider Throbbing Gristle a bigger band than any of the 3rd liners, but I guess I take your point.

And, I guess, to make me look dumb, Gang of Four actually was on the second line in 2005... so having them there in 1996 isn't as hilarious as I thought. I mean, I'm sure they grew in reputation in those 9 years but not enough for hilarity.
    You do have a point though about some of them. I'll probably drop the Mekons and Pere Ubu to the 3rd line and find a couple of new 2nd line acts. Maybe drop PWEI to fourth line too. I'm going to keep Cluster where they are though.

Also, anyone catch the "joke act" I was referring to? It's a reference to a film that was released the same year.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    They played Coachella in 2001. Early afternoon in the blazing sun. It was quite hilarious. Also the live horns were lovely.
    Welp.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

also... there is a just got laughs act on here that pays homage to a certain film that was released the same year..

Dude.

Not that it matters, but your poster looks a lot like mine that I submitted on Thursday.

Seriously.

Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-07-2010 at 05:16 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Dude.

Not that it matters, but your poster looks a lot like mine that I submitted on Thursday.

Seriously.
    That is pretty coincidental. Are you talking design or lineup? I didn't make the template, a friend of mine did. I had maybe 90% of the lineup done by Thursday, and at first glance looking at yours there didn't seem to be alot of overlap. But there is bound to be some overlap when two people make the same year.

That is pretty coincidental. Are you talking design or lineup? I didn't make the template, a friend of mine did. I had maybe 90% of the lineup done by Thursday, and at first glance looking at yours there didn't seem to be alot of overlap. But there is bound to be some overlap when two people make the same year.
    Yeah there is some overlap, but the starry night/space/glow-y thing is what I was referring to more. The fact that they are the same year is regrettable.

In the end, it prolly doesn't matter.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post

Thanks for the free Coachella.
    Hey, who is this band you call Genesis?

Good thing you didn't have to pick your bands from a photo. Maybe you should only include those of whom you have any knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    Hey, who is this band you call Genesis?

Good thing you didn't have to pick your bands from a photo. Maybe you should only include those of whom you have any knowledge.
    Except they didn't have five members then. But you're right, it's a good thing that this game isn't a completely different game.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

two space entries are no match for my powerful sunset =P

nice work though, betao. i believe i saw the monkees in 1997 at the celebrity theatre.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Matt, I'm sorry, but that Monkees as a headliner thing is pretty goofy. A series of sold-out gigs in the UK doesn't necessarily mean they'd play Coachella. The Monkees were a huge joke in the US....kind of like the Brady Bunch band. If you're serious about having them on your lineup, (and if I were you, which I'm not), I'd move them down. Maybe I'm wrong, but...*shrug*

xoxo
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Matt, I'm sorry, but that Monkees as a headliner thing is pretty goofy. A series of sold-out gigs in the UK doesn't necessarily mean they'd play Coachella. The Monkees were a huge joke in the US....kind of like the Brady Bunch band. If you're serious about having them on your lineup, (and if I were you, which I'm not), I'd move them down. Maybe I'm wrong, but...*shrug*

xoxo
    That thought did cross my mind, and I think that during the time of their popularity, that would be the right thing to do, because they were considered a "joke" band. But I think that 20-30 years later, they would have an appeal as a rare novelty act that could end up being a huge draw, there would be alot of curiosity over what it would be like.

It is a bit of a controversial billing, but I think it's possible.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    nice work though, betao. i believe i saw the monkees in 1997 at the celebrity theatre.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    two space entries are no match for my powerful sunset =P

Cool Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Lurker

Question Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

What exactly is being judged? Is the main focus to see who would have the most likely lineup? Or does design/creativity count? Everything together? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by h2obabylizzie View Post
    What exactly is being judged? Is the main focus to see who would have the most likely lineup? Or does design/creativity count? Everything together? Just curious...
    It's like a cake baking contest actually. The cake mix would consist of the lineup and the poster design would be the icing on the cake. Simple, right? It seemed that way at first, until music nerds got added to the recipe, and simple cake mix wasn't enough. And, I don't know who's idea it was to sprinkle the top of the cake with that bitter Monklish flavoring, but I'm sure it's left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Made some edits to both (type mostly).

Last edited by abbeyroad 04; 02-07-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    It's like a cake baking contest actually. The cake mix would consist of the lineup and the poster design would be the icing on the cake. Simple, right? It seemed that way at first, until music nerds got added to the recipe, and simple cake mix wasn't enough. And, I don't know who's idea it was to sprinkle the top of the cake with that bitter Monklish flavoring, but I'm sure it's left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
    hahaha i love how every other post is Monklish trying to flex what knowledge it has and cant fathom someone knowing some other truth.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

^ I like the designs, abbeyroad 04.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by h2obabylizzie View Post
    Careful. It's a simple and honest question but people on here will flame you for "Over-complicating" the contest and act like you asked a stupid question. Really this hasn't been answered, and it seems like it will not be. So just try to do your best on both.

'98 has so many entries blahhh I wish I could have been more confident in a different year.

Dude.

Seriously.

[IMGhttp://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/coachella1996_FINAL.jpg[/IMG]
    dude, I was honestly not trying to copy your layout when I made that poster. but it does look oddly similar... I can change it around if it honestly bothers you.

Quote Originally Posted by l337moomoo View Post
    dude, I was honestly not trying to copy your layout when I made that poster. but it does look oddly similar... I can change it around if it honestly bothers you.
    Nah I wouldn't have it. Peace and love brother. It's all in fun anyways.
    The Glitter Freeze

Dude.

Seriously.
    No it doesn't. What the fuck looks so similar to you?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Also why is Moo Moo responding to an accusation C Dub made about Betao's poster?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Coachella Junkie

MooMoo helped with the template.