Page 78 of 120 FirstFirst ... 7374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 3600

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Quote Originally Posted by cassett View Post
    so who is going to judge these? the mods? or official Coachella peoples?
    Official peeps
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by crow77 View Post
    K. One more try... submitting an option for 1970. Great year.
    NOPE.

you need to try again, for many many reasons...

that's all I'm saying.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by zip-unzip View Post
    You have some spelling mistakes and I don't want to help cause this is my year but Blink 182 wouldn't have been playing. They were basically unknown till 96

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    I decided to take the classic Coachella poster look along with a limited set list because the first Coach had at most 40 bands on the first day
    I like your design okay but your billing is retarded. Pink Floyd underneath anybody? And it's funny that you cited the fact that Coachella had "at most 40 bands" on the first day to defend why you'd have a limited roster of acts, only to then have less than a quarter of that number.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Why would you indicate that Orbital is playing in the dance tent? Where the fuck else would they play?
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I like your design okay but your billing is retarded. Pink Floyd underneath anybody? And it's funny that you cited the fact that Coachella had "at most 40 bands" on the first day to defend why you'd have a limited roster of acts, only to then have less than a quarter of that number.
    You're right. Pink Floyd under Rage against the Machine and NIN? I love NIN and Rage was good but not a chance.

1985 !!!!!! here it is.. took me alot longer than i thought it was gonna take me. But I think it was well worth it. Even if I dont win, I really like it and it was fun. Waddaya guys think? More bands maybe? Different ones?

1985 !!!!!! here it is.. took me alot longer than i thought it was gonna take me. But I think it was well worth it. Even if I dont win, I really like it and it was fun. Waddaya guys think? More bands maybe? Different ones?

if gnr were to play then they would not be above tears for fears.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

true ... i dont know why i had tears for fears so low

More bands definitely. You have maybe enough for one day. Of your 17 on Saturday, 2 are the Smiths. And try spelling the names correctly. I'll leave it to you to figure out who I mean.

One of the things that bothers me with a lot of these posters is the seeming attempts at cleverness of having several future big name acts at the bottom of the poster. Like, ooh! Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, JAMC, GnR, & Tears for Fears were all on the bottom line of Coachella '85 before they were HUGE! How cool would that be?! Because, y'know, it's so realistic with how the actual Coachella festival is. And it's also really creative and inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    Yeah, not even one whole space in front of them on the bottom line.

I think I'm not seeing a poster in your post.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    in 1985 GnR were indistinguishable from a thousand other bar bands. They wouldn't have been on the bill at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    in 1985 GnR were indistinguishable from a thousand other bar bands. They wouldn't have been on the bill at all.
    Truth.
    The Glitter Freeze

I think as the volume of posters might be going up this weekend, so does the percentage of crappy ones.

But maybe not?
    The Glitter Freeze

I was with you til the last bit there.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Research people, research.

zip-unzip's posters have so much wrong with them - I don't know where to start. But I ain't saying anything more than that.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I was with you til the last bit there.
    Well I thought about it for a second, and that tomleach guy did a decent one, so maybe there's hope for the new comers. I even think he took your side of the Joy Division call, as they are no longer on his poster. He also moved the Carpenters, because you said something.

Maybe it's the posts number working?
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Research people, research.
    Speaking of research, your 79 poster doesn't really work. Pink Floyd toured for The Wall between 80 and early 81. The album didn't come out til November 79.

From wiki:
    In March 1979, however, the band's critical financial situation demanded that they leave the UK for a year or more, and recording was moved to the Super Bear Studios near Nice.[170][171] The band were rarely in the studio together, but Waters' relationship with Wright broke down completely...

5 out of 7 posters from 79 have Pink Floyd headlining. I don't know if the judges will do much research of their own, but stuff like this should automatically disqualify those posters.

It's a cool poster, but you might as well change the year to 80 or 81 and adjust the rest of the lineup accordingly.

More bands definitely. You have maybe enough for one day. Of your 17 on Saturday, 2 are the Smiths. And try spelling the names correctly. I'll leave it to you to figure out who I mean.

One of the things that bothers me with a lot of these posters is the seeming attempts at cleverness of having several future big name acts at the bottom of the poster. Like, ooh! Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, JAMC, GnR, & Tears for Fears were all on the bottom line of Coachella '85 before they were HUGE! How cool would that be?! Because, y'know, it's so realistic with how the actual Coachella festival is. And it's also really creative and inspired.

Yeah, not even one whole space in front of them on the bottom line.

Hmmm... going with the coachella theme of having underground bands play, I thought i did pretty well. All of the bands I have posted had an actual record release, were touring and had a decent following, much like the underground bands that play at coachella now. While some of those bands are huge now... its mainly because they had an underground following at the time, not because they got signed onto a bigger label that promoted them. Also, looking at the other posters in 1985 it seems that most of them have almost all of the same bands as me and the same billing.

I do need to change up some of the billing though.. and i do agree I need to add more bands. I just posted it quickly cuz I had been working on it for so long and decided I needed some critiques. Thanx for the criticism I will use it wisely.

Got a retro entry here for 1971 on this wonderful weekend before the contest wraps. Keep on rocking.

Last edited by CitizenJ; 02-28-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Why would you indicate that Orbital is playing in the dance tent? Where the fuck else would they play?
    I was paying tribute to the Coachella posters for 2005 and 2006. In 2005 Chemical Brothers are billed as playing "in the tent" and in 2006 Daft Punk are billed as playing "in the dance tent".

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I think I'm not seeing a poster in your post.
    what do you mean?

My poster is more based on design. More so than most of the posters I have seen thus far. Most of the posters I have seen are based basically on the lineup and the poster sucks.

To me that is not a "design" competition but more of a fantasy lineup competition. This is a rough draft so I do plan on adding and changing bands.

Anyone can make a line up but to actually design a poster is another story.

I did do hours of research and am still researching.

This is hard for me to do but I cannot support this years lineup for the life of me... just not enough quality to justify the coachella trip I look foward to yearly and am sorry that the promoters could only do a ho-hum job... anyways your poster displays the type of bands that would however attract me to the event and maybe if enough people boycott it this year they'll get the picture and do better next year....

This is mine from 1982!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello! This is my version from 1997. I know there are few names and it's not so perfect..but i tried to do that..and names are not so clear.

Last edited by Boompia; 02-27-2010 at 07:21 AM.

I was paying tribute to the Coachella posters for 2005 and 2006. In 2005 Chemical Brothers are billed as playing "in the tent" and in 2006 Daft Punk are billed as playing "in the dance tent".
    They don't really do that anymore. Spelling!

I understood that but it's still retarded. When Coachella specified that the Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy were playing in the Sahara in 2005, the last time both groups performed at the festival in 2002, they were on the main stage. In 2006, if I recall correctly, Daft Punk wasn't billed as being "in the dance tent" until Madonna got added. Prior to that point, people were speculating that Daft Punk would close out the main stage after Depeche Mode a la Black Starr closing out the main stage after Nine Inch Nails the year before. That and the fact that they billed Madonna as being "in the dance tent," which again was something that they apparently wanted to indicate, perhaps because it would explain why she wasn't headlining the festival.
    The big thing about both these instances, though, is that there was a symmetry on the posters. The Chems and the Prodigy headlined the Sahara on separate days and were indicated as being "in the dance tent" on the poster. Same goes for Daft Punk and Madonna in regards to being the Sahara headliners on different days. I would have a lot less of a problem with you harking back to the "in the dance tent" use if you used it for the presumed Sahara headliners on Saturday and Sunday as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaGennette View Post
    This is hard for me to do but I cannot support this years lineup for the life of me... just not enough quality to justify the coachella trip I look foward to yearly and am sorry that the promoters could only do a ho-hum job... anyways your poster displays the type of bands that would however attract me to the event and maybe if enough people boycott it this year they'll get the picture and do better next year....
    You're an idiot. Nobody will miss you when you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Boompia View Post
    Hello! This is my version from 1997. I know there are few names and it's not so perfect..but i tried to do that..and names are not so clear.

Fuckin impressive ! If only the band names were more legible.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

what do you mean?

My poster is more based on design. More so than most of the posters I have seen thus far. Most of the posters I have seen are based basically on the lineup and the poster sucks.

To me that is not a "design" competition but more of a fantasy lineup competition. This is a rough draft so I do plan on adding and changing bands.

Anyone can make a line up but to actually design a poster is another story.

I did do hours of research and am still researching.
    Meaning your link is busted.
    The Glitter Freeze

I see his poster just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.