Page 12 of 120 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Same here. I guess "credible" in in the eye of the beholder?
    I apologize if my derision went all over the place. I merely meant to make a tounge-in-cheek comment to Dani regarding Bowie's stalwart popularity.

I'm sure your posters are quite incredible. That is the point of this contest, is it not?
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

the barger poster is quite cool, but says 2006? also, which bands are the headliners? my 1986-self LOVED the Smiths, but playing both days?

Quote Originally Posted by Barger View Post
    I would go to that show. Great poster, sir!

(or ma'am, who am I to speculate)

Quote Originally Posted by l337moomoo View Post
    I hope Brahms plays some of his older stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    the barger poster is quite cool, but says 2006? also, which bands are the headliners? my 1986-self LOVED the Smiths, but playing both days?
    There are a lot of things wrong with it.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Considering that now it says 1986, I think the only thing wrong with it is the double Smiths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Considering that now it says 1986, I think the only thing wrong with it is the double Smiths.
    Yeah, two days of The Smiths is enough to derail that poster...

The double Smiths sounds fantastic to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Not when they're a headliner one night and a sub the next night. Doesn't make sense.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

This will be my first Coachella experience and can't wait to get involved in this community. Here's my take on 1988.

Last edited by FellowUser; 01-29-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Also, stop being poster monkeys. You don't go to a festival based on the prettiness of the poster.

I guess it's a good thing this isn't up for public vote.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Husker Du broke up in 1987.
    Quote Originally Posted by FellowUser View Post
    This will be my first Coachella experience and can't wait to get involved in this community. Here's my take on 1988.

Last edited by captncrzy; 01-29-2010 at 12:08 PM.

The more I look at this the more it appears to me that a lot of the voting is going to be dictated by the poster. Where else can anyone actually display any creativity? It's the same 25 headliners and subs poster after poster. Frankly the acts are almost irrelevant at a certain point.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I think the acts are looking the same because there isn't that much effort going into researching the artists that were around at the time. I suspect the art would be a tie-breaker if need be. At least, I hope so. My photoshop skills are below 5th grade level.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Husker Du broke up in 1987.
    Dammit. Quick edit will do the trick, thanks for that by the way.
    That's the year I was born so that's news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoogenhaven View Post
    I think this guy has done a GREAT job at picking bands.. Looks like he actually took his time to research..It's a nice mix of different kinds of bands.. The Make-Up!!! are you fucking kidding me? So fucking sick.. Wouldn't expect anyone to put them..

I'm willing to bet you're going to see it tipped heavily in the other direction. I mean, not to bait an argument, but what was so inventive about yours? INXS? A mostly crappy and unrealistic array of subs?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

hopefully the authenticity of the lineup is greatly taken into consideration; nearly every real coachella poster is very basic artwork..
    Originally Posted by bobert
    With a little help from LSD and Tool, I found God at Coachella.......

Dammit. Quick edit will do the trick, thanks for that by the way.
    That's the year I was born so that's news to me.
    and this is why authenticity is key, do your research.
    you cant expect your artwork to win if the lineup is false.

Actually technically according to the rules Dani laid out dates of reunions and breakups are irrelevant. Who knows if Menik will hold to that as well (I doubt it), but supposedly as long as they're alive...
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie Cupcakes View Post
    Do I get anything for conceiving this concept? I mean, c'mon! I don't expect a VIP upgrade but throw a girl something here for a good idea.
    Maybe a bra, a t-shirt, or a blouse that says CHATROOM on it?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfsh View Post
    and this is why authenticity is key, do your research.
    you cant expect your artwork to win if the lineup is false.
    I was actually up researching for a couple of hours last night on wikipedia. On Husker's wiki page they're shown active until 1988, but have a break-up date of 1987.

Actually technically according to the rules Dani laid out dates of reunions and breakups are irrelevant. Who knows if Menik will hold to that as well (I doubt it), but supposedly as long as they're alive...
    yeah - its just stretching it a bit when a band broke up a year before;
    im sure Menik will keep the authentic factor up to par.

I also think its very rude menikmati has to play all over again if he wants to win. He already won this competition as far as I'm concerned, and now a bunch of people are just going to steal his ideas. I call for a stop to this competition until the person who conceived the idea (me) and the person who made it succeed (menikmati) are given due accolades that are more than just a pat on the back and recognition by name.
    Maybe toss in a matching muzzle with the t-shirt. (Hm, but that wouldn't really match the CHATROOM idea, would it?)
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I'm willing to bet you're going to see it tipped heavily in the other direction. I mean, not to bait an argument, but what was so inventive about yours? INXS? A mostly crappy and unrealistic array of subs?
    I'm not claiming mine's inventive; but I did do a LOT of research. Hours. I selected bands from various underground/independent genres that were either gaining in popularity or up-and-coming. I definitely don't think the subs were unrealistic being that they were all active in some form or another during that time. (Although I do think my 88 one is weaker than my 85 one by quite a bit).

Not a lot of information is as readily available about relatively unpopular music (compared to what was popular, which was shit) from 20 years ago. No internet, no myspace, no viral videos. It's hard. Not to mention the shitty state that 1988 was in. You had new wave, an uprising in no wave and noise music, semi-Huxtable rap (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince won best rap song that year) and hair metal. And shitty country music.

Also, INXS was one of the biggest selling artists that year. Call them the Muse of the weekend. I was going to go with U2, but I thought it would be too easy. I already had one headliner that was too easy.

I definitely don't want to take your bet, though. You could totally be right about the art weight.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 01-29-2010 at 12:27 PM.

I want this contest to be shut down. If you want to have a contest that doesn't steal my idea, go ahead but I demand this be put to a stop because I am jealous that i dont have photo shop skills and giving me credit for this is not good enough.
    You could always try flashing your tits like you did for the line up imfo in the chatroom, no?

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I'm not claiming mine's inventive; but I did do a LOT of research. Hours. I selected bands from various underground/independent genres that were either gaining in popularity or up-and-coming. Not a lot of information is as readily available about relatively unpopular music from 20 years ago. No internet, no myspace, no viral videos. It's hard. Not to mention the shitty state that 1988 was in. You had new wave, an uprising in no wave and noise music, semi-Huxtable rap (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince won best rap song that year) and hair metal. And shitty country music.

Also, INXS was one of the biggest selling artists that year. Call them the Muse of the weekend. I was going to go with U2, but I thought it would be too easy. I already had one headliner that was too easy.

I definitely don't want to take your bet, though. You could totally be right about the art weight.
    I did several hours of research yesterday on several years and finally gave up.

I don't doubt that INXS would have headlined, I'm saying that the rest of the headliners were obvious and that the placement of the subs is just insane. In what fucking world were Pixies that popular in 1988? In what world are Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark and Pixies billed above Guns and Roses and Public Enemy in 1988? Temptations, really? The Blues Brothers six years after John died?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

This guy wins simply for having Felt and Orange Juice on his poster!

I think OJ was gone by '88, but according to Dani's rules you're OK. She only forbade naming any bands prematurely. However, there's an unspoken rule that you should only name bands/artists who were currently performing. If only to keep things from getting utterly ridiculous.

Either way, welcome to Coachella, fabulous poster, indeed!

That being said, jen, I appreciate that you didn't load the lineup down with popular stuff too much.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I did several hours of research yesterday on several years and finally gave up.

I don't doubt that INXS would have headlined, I'm saying that the rest of the headliners were obvious and that the placement of the subs is just insane. In what fucking world were Pixies that popular in 1988? In what world are Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark and Pixies billed above Guns and Roses and Public Enemy in 1988? Temptations, really? The Blues Brothers six years after John died?
    Pixies released Surfer Rosa that year. They had a lot of buzz. May be right about the placement being too high. If I could go back and change, I'd switch the Pixies and Public Enemy. OMD was huge though.

OMD over GnR because GnR had just released Appetite for Destruction 9 months prior, and didn't become a major hit until the summer of 88 when they released Sweet Child O Mine. (I remember going to see GnR in late 88; they played at the Celebrity Theatre here - a 3,000 seat venue). If anything, I billed them too high.

Temptations had just reunited with a third incarnation of the band and released a new album. Probably unrealistic to have them up so high, but I couldn't figure out who else would go into Michael Jackson.

The Blues Brothers reunited in 1988 with Jim in John's place because of the new Blues Brothers movie. They toured all over the place. I mostly threw them in as a joke.