Page 71 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 3600

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I'm in Columbus
    Hey, just wanted to say thanks for reminding me about the Trashcan Sinatras in your '90 poster. I used to have the cassette, so I bought it on iTunes the other day and haven't stopped listening to it. Good memories....

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    Hey, just wanted to say thanks for reminding me about the Trashcan Sinatras in your '90 poster. I used to have the cassette, so I bought it on iTunes the other day and haven't stopped listening to it. Good memories....
    Yeah I re-bought & re-listened to some of their stuff as well. This contest has made me look at a ton of bands that I had somewhat forgotten about in the last few years.

also should note that their (Trashcan Sinatras) new record comes out April 27

Somebody quick, book these gents for Coachella!
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-21-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is all wrong. Every single word of it.
    No, it's not. Duran Duran had six U.S. Top 20 hits in 1983-84, including a #1 hit, and two Grammy awards. They toured the U.S. and sold out multiple dates at MSG, as well as other respected venues. They recorded "A View to a Kill" in 1985 - the only Bond theme to ever hit #1. They had five separate platinum albums by 1985, and added another by 1987 (with a #2 hit in 1986).

Depeche Mode had ONE gold record in 1986, and nothing else till 1988. They didn't have a GOLD SINGLE till 1990, for Christ's sake. This is a 1987 poster, if you think Depeche Mode would top Duran Duran, you're just simply wrong.

You must be the same people who think the Beastie Boys should subheadline under Thom Yorke or Pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Duran Duran was never able to do anything on that level here in the states. They were the Backstreet Boys of the new wave movement.

I weep for the future.
    Read the above post, then weep for your own idiocy.

Duran Duran was bubblegum pop, dude. View To A Kill was the last song from a dying relic. In 87 they hadn't put out an album for four years and nobody cared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Even at the height of their popularity in 83-84, Duran Duran was ever only the province of 6-13 year old girls. Took my then 13 year-old niece to one of two sold out shows at the Forum (she cried non-stop for two weeks until my brother bought her a ticket - I was the driver/chaperone). 20,000 screaming pre-pubescent girls. No way would Duran Duran be at any Coachella, in any year, under any circumstance.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

All this being said, I still think that Duran Duran is fucking awesome. But to say that they were bigger than U2 in 87... Jesus, you have to be dumb.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I didn't put them on my poster, but saying they'd subheadline under Depeche Mode in 1987 is idiotic, and that was the point of my post. Duran Duran could bring in 20k teenage girls, and Depeche Mode could bring in... nowhere near that many of anything.

And are you really claiming the audience for James Bond movies was prepubescent girls? You've got to be kidding me.

Go ahead and crush the crap poster that put them in Coachella, but don't try to sell me on a band with five previously platinum records in that decade (and another one in 1987) and seven Top 20 U.S. hits as ranking below a band that wouldn't achieve commercial real commercial success for another three years. There's a reason Jay-Z is closing out Friday instead of Spoon or Pavement - record sales MATTER.

I think the market for the Duran Duran song on the James Bond soundtrack--a James Bond movie that was one of the absolute worst-performing at the box office--was indeed teenage girls.

Record sales in 1983 do not necessarily equate to headlining in 1987 over one of the breakout rock success stories of 1985-87. Referring to U2 here, I could give a shit about Depeche Mode.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

U2 became mega huge during that Joshua Tree tour. i saw the first leg at a sold out LA Sports Arena. Saw the last leg of the tour at a practically sold out Coliseum. Duran Duran could not match that regardless of the chart success. U2 built their chart success in the US by becoming a big touring act first. Duran Duran did it a different way by becoming video stars first. Don't want to take away from DD, they are a great live band.

For that second day though, i doubt the Smiths and Run DMC would have been billed above Oingo Boingo. Local bias would have played a factor and Boingo would have sold more tickets than the Smiths and Run DMC that year in California.

I think the market for the Duran Duran song on the James Bond soundtrack--a James Bond movie that was one of the absolute worst-performing at the box office--was indeed teenage girls.

Record sales in 1983 do not necessarily equate to headlining in 1987 over one of the breakout rock success stories of 1985-87. Referring to U2 here, I could give a shit about Depeche Mode.
    Well, I backed off the U2 complaint as I was thinking about their level of acclaim (in my original post, not later)... U2 became a huge arena-rock band a year later (1988, I think, was Rattle and Hum... and then they REALLY exploded in the 90s), so I was just comparing arena-level successes... which Duran Duran definitely had in the mid-80s.

And as for the "Backstreet Boys" claim - Powerstation were considered some level of "supergroup" in 1985. I'm not validating that claim - but there were a crapload of non-teenage folks who loved the Taylors and thought they had a LOT of musical talent. Their album in '86-87 went platinum and had a number 2 hit (their first single since "A View to a Kill"), as well.

I'm not saying they were as big in 1987 as they were in 1984 - but they weren't "play for an hour before up and coming Depeche Mode" either. Depeche Mode is a great band, but putting them above Duran Duran there is as bad as his Pixies placement on the same poster... it's just revisionist history.

And... as I said in my original post, he should just remove Duran Duran altogether, because it creates too many problems.

Stop the presses! I just realized Cheap Trick is on the bottom line of that poster. With three gold and two platinum records by 1986.

Yeah, that poster is crap. Keep Duran Duran and shove the whole damn thing into the circular file.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Well, I backed off the U2 complaint as I was thinking about their level of acclaim (in my original post, not later)... U2 became a huge arena-rock band a year later (1988, I think, was Rattle and Hum... and then they REALLY exploded in the 90s), so I was just comparing arena-level successes... which Duran Duran definitely had in the mid-80s.

And as for the "Backstreet Boys" claim - Powerstation were considered some level of "supergroup" in 1985. I'm not validating that claim - but there were a crapload of non-teenage folks who loved the Taylors and thought they had a LOT of musical talent. Their album in '86-87 went platinum and had a number 2 hit (their first single since "A View to a Kill"), as well.

I'm not saying they were as big in 1987 as they were in 1984 - but they weren't "play for an hour before up and coming Depeche Mode" either. Depeche Mode is a great band, but putting them above Duran Duran there is as bad as his Pixies placement on the same poster... it's just revisionist history.

And... as I said in my original post, he should just remove Duran Duran altogether, because it creates too many problems.
    Look at you with all of your record sales quoting. U2 was headlining the Amnesty International tour in 86. They were fucking huge. In 86. Even bigger in 87. I want you to stop trying to equivocate your way out of this and just admit that you were being a fucking idiot.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I cut some cucumbers and left them in the refrigerator last night. The cucumbers were part of a delightful couscous I had prepared for my consumption. Upon opening my refrigerator I noticed the cucumber bits to be rock hard. The temperature dial inside my refrigerator was set to the coldest option, level 9. I could not remember the last time I had changed the temperature dial of my refrigerator but solved both problems by letting the cucumbers thaw and setting the temperature dial inside my refrigerator back to a cold but normal option, level 7.

Lurker

What a COOL and AWESOME competition! So much fun! Here is my poster design for 1980.

Look at you with all of your record sales quoting. U2 was headlining the Amnesty International tour in 86. They were fucking huge. In 86. Even bigger in 87. I want you to stop trying to equivocate your way out of this and just admit that you were being a fucking idiot.
    You first. No?

But since you brought up record sales, U2 had 3 platinum records at the start of 1987- The Joshua Tree went platinum in May of 1987.

By war of comparison, Duran Duran had 4 platinum records at the start of 1987 - Arena was 2x platinum, and Notorious went platinum in January of 1987, maintaining their 1-platinum-record edge. But they weren't big enough to sub-headline over Depeche Mode, who had one gold record.

But anybody with Cheap Trick on the last line in 1987 did a whole helluva lot less research than either you or I did on this issue, so suffice it to say... they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    You first. No?

But since you brought up record sales, U2 had 3 platinum records at the start of 1987- The Joshua Tree went platinum in May of 1987.

By war of comparison, Duran Duran had 4 platinum records at the start of 1987 - Arena was 2x platinum, and Notorious went platinum in January of 1987, maintaining their 1-platinum-record edge. But they weren't big enough to sub-headline over Depeche Mode, who had one gold record.

But anybody with Cheap Trick on the last line in 1987 did a whole helluva lot less research than either you or I did on this issue, so suffice it to say... they lose.
    Actually I wasn't bringing up record sales. I was making fun of you for quoting record sales at complete ignorance of actual relevance for the time you're talking about. N'Sync had a lot of platinum records in 2005 too. That doesn't mean they would have headlined Coachella.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

DJ Games: Seizure achieved.

Dude, going off of album sales alone is just wrong. Depeche Mode could have gone under U2, but there is NO WAY they would have been under Duran. You just can't go by album sales; DM had a huge cult following that was only about to explode, not retract.

I'm not wasting any more time on this; you're clearly wrong, and I'm clearly not the only one that thinks so. Thanks for the reminder on why I had you on ignore. You're retarded.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Slowly getting around to finishing some of my early drafts:

The Who in their final show. That's funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Games View Post
    What a COOL and AWESOME competition! So much fun! Here is my poster design for 1980.
    Steely Dan would not have taken billing that low... especially since they had broken up in 1980.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Ok I lived though this stuff, so let me chime in here.

This is how I remember things.

I saw Duran Duran in 1983, and then got promptly beat up for wearing a Seven and Ragged Tiger shirt in school. They wear huge, but you have to think of them more as a N Sync or Jonas Bros with actually talent and a slew of great "adult" tunes.

After Tiger though they split into rehab stints, The Power Station, and Arcadia. They still sold records, but critically they were dying a slow death. in 1984 the side projects and substance abuse were the priority instead of Duran Duran. I believe it was The Power Station that sold the most records during this period. Arcadia records were laughed at.

They reformed Duran Duran only as a 3 piece, and they never really recovered. (Wedding Album in the 90's was as light return to form)

Back to the years at hand, by the time a "View to a Kill' came out they had worn out their shelf life, esp here in the states. Their mostly younger audience being as fickle as they are, had grown up and moved on. This happens to most boy bands. Sadly, apart from loyal fans, from 1985 on, not as many were interested in Duran Duran.

Having said that.

Depeche Mode was mega huge from MFTM on. A true stadium filler, esp on the west coast. Concert for the Masses at the Rose Bowl, was just that.

U2, good lord. The stadium kings were in full force in 1986-87. Nevermind the star laden Amensty tour in 86, I remember standing in line for 2 days for tickets to see them in Cleveland stadium on October 9. They sold out 70,000 in 2 hours for that particular show. Did even more in Chicago, Boston and Phoenix. If you were seeing any concert in 1987, chances are Bono and co. were a part of it.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-22-2010 at 07:17 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

I also lived through this stuff and agree 100% with what C DUB just wrote.

edit: except for the part where he says Duran Duran have actual talent. Missed that the first time. Clearly an error on his part.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-22-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post

Depeche Mode was mega huge from MFTM on. A true stadium filler, esp on the west coast. Concert for the Masses at the Rose Bowl, was just that.
    Yes. In June, 1988, not January 1987. Where would you put Lady Gaga eighteen months ago?

By January 1987, Depeche Mode had charted exactly TWICE - with "People are People" (#12) and "Master and Servant (#87). Duran Duran had already had six songs in the Top 10, two number #1's, and the current #2 ("Notorious", in Jan 87)... they won two Grammy awards, and added three more top 10 hits in the coming years. Who was buying those records?

The 'Nsync or Backstreet Boys references are fucking ridiculous. Comparing them to bands who don't write or even play music... nice. Duran Duran toured with David Bowie in 1986... maybe we should expect him to throw down some shows with Miley Cyrus today?

Here's an offer.... if anyone here can find a third line act from ANY Coachella that has the same/similar level of recent success as Duran Duran in early 1987 (five separate platinum records, six top 10 hits, multiple sold out MSG shows), I'll take back what I've said and admit I'm wrong. There aren't any... so this is a pretty safe bet.

Notorious was a shit record that was panned by fans and critics alike. Grammys don't translate into concert billings. If that were the case Blind Boys of Alabama or Los Lobos would sell out arenas. They don't.

2 of those 3 more top 10 hits in the coming years came from the Wedding album in 1993. Therefore that doesn't mean anything in 87.

These are the lean years for DD, each record met with a decrease in sales and more importantly, interest outside of their core.

# Arena (1984)
    # Notorious (1986)
    # Big Thing (1988)
    # Liberty (1990)

Listen - from an audience and appeal perspective the boy band comparions are spot on - I'm not saying they are like N Sync, or backstreet boys - I counted the fact they played and wrote songs, even more "adult" fare.

I'm a huge DD fan, but I lived through their decline, and that happened in a big way after 1984.

Again you have to look past album charts and record sales, theres a lot more to it than that. Look at the crowd and buzz for Arcade Fire. It's not like they are reaping the benefits of chart success, let alone pop radio chart success in the least.

On the opposite end of that - you have DM - by the release of MFTM in 1987. They were huge, in their own way. A different way than the normal chart success of DD. They had a ever growing fanbase, sales figures, cult following etc... Considering the Coachella crowd and who they book for the Festival, a high DM billing is very logical. The MFTM tour started in 87, so saying things would be different 10 months later is silly. We are talking about an artist on the rise, not one on a MAJOR decline.

Personally I don't see much difference in the billing (on that crap poster). I wouldn't have a major beef with either DD above DM or vice versa.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-22-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    I cut some cucumbers and left them in the refrigerator last night. The cucumbers were part of a delightful couscous I had prepared for my consumption. Upon opening my refrigerator I noticed the cucumber bits to be rock hard. The temperature dial inside my refrigerator was set to the coldest option, level 9. I could not remember the last time I had changed the temperature dial of my refrigerator but solved both problems by letting the cucumbers thaw and setting the temperature dial inside my refrigerator back to a cold but normal option, level 7.
    Oh, I wished I had seen this in time! Did you leave the cucumbers skin on when you sliced them, or did you strip them bare before the slicing? With the dial set at 9, they would have still been really cold with their skins on, but they wouldn't have frozen solid. Poor things. May as well imform you now that by setting your refrigerator dial to #7, you're gonna piss the tomatoes off.

And Nagel posters on every wall...

Duran Duran was the first tape I bought with my own money (that was from babysitting)
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    Duran Duran was the first tape I bought with my own money (that was from babysitting)
    See Mr. Servo? Straight from PF's mouth. Short of sticking you in a time machine, if that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    me too - Rio (with allowance money)