Page 65 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 3600

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

  1. #1921
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    I fucking hate Little Richard. Why is BB King before all those people? This is goddamned silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  2. #1922
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Doesn't exist. See: L Ron Hubbard.

    The problem with 1969 is that (if I remember reading this right) it had more festivals than any other year (for the time period). There were a lot of festival whores that year (Jefferson Airplane and Jimi Hendrix being two of them). It would be easy to just bogart those posters, but what fun would that be?
    I think it's silly to say that not using Jefferson Airplane or Jimi Hendrix would therefore necessitate using Miles fucking Davis. It looks like Rick was trying so hard to not use the same acts as everybody else that he just wrote down a list of all the black people popular enough to subheadline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  3. #1923
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,252

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Ok, thanks for the insight, Tom and C DUB. I will take that under advisement. And for the record, I didn't say they were virtually unknown in the US prior to Tommy, just that they weren't huge. And Randy, Woodstock was in August. The release of this poster would've been in January of '69 (y'know, going off the fantasy scenario wherein the festival has the same basic time frame of when things get announced as now). I still stand by the Jimi Hendrix Experience headlining.

    Funny, I changed the order of the bands right before handing it over to Jen for input in Photoshop. Prior to doing that, my top 3 were: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Miles Davis, The Who. Thought I'd be lambasted for having them too high. Guess I overthought it.

    And Randy, you think Miles Davis subheadlining is unrealistic even in light of Manu Chao holding the exact same position in 2007?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  4. #1924
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    I wasn't aware that Manu Chao was a fucking jazz act now. The problem, Rick, is that in addition to The Jazz Equivalent Of Manu Chao subheadlining, they're subheadlining over The Who and Grateful Dead. Festivals in 1969 were fucking rock shows, dude. Ravi Shankar was a big deal in 69 too. He played right inbetween several acts you've never fucking heard of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  5. #1925
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    I wouldn't worry too much about what Randy says. He may know a thing or two, but he tends to live on an island of his own misery and delusion. Plus he can't carry on a conversation without being an a-hole.

    Tom's suggestions and points are quite good though.

    Tommy is indeed the album that launched the Who onto a whole new level of popularity here in the US, but they were pretty big before then, no doubt. Definitely 2-4th band on poster worthy.

    Whether all of this is worth changing your poster, prolly not.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-15-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  6. #1926
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,252

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I wasn't aware that Manu Chao was a fucking jazz act now. The problem, Rick, is that in addition to The Jazz Equivalent Of Manu Chao subheadlining, they're subheadlining over The Who and Grateful Dead. Festivals in 1969 were fucking rock shows, dude. Ravi Shankar was a big deal in 69 too. He played right inbetween several acts you've never fucking heard of.
    Thank you, I will take your insight under advisement.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  7. #1927
    Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC NW
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    is editing it against the rules?
    I would think not, being that you can submit as many posters as you want. So that wouldn't make sense to stop people from editing. That's why I want you guys to stop criticizing him, because criticizing him helps him and while I think my lineup's good so far, I am not insanely comfortable with it. I want his poster to suck.

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    That doesn't mean jack shit. Anyone can pick 130 bands and throw it on a poster. As evidenced by most of the shit posters on here. The challenge is a) getting the right mix and b) going along with what you think the goldenvoice grain would have been at the time (an eclectic mix of up-and-comings, out of the boxers, populars, and comebacks).
    Well based on the context of my comment you should be able to tell I didn't just grab 130 random bands.
    Ron Paul 2012!

    Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

  8. #1928
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,252

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    You should do 1968, psychobetabuckdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  9. #1929
    Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC NW
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    You should do 1968, psychobetabuckdown.
    Oh shit great idea! I'll just keep the same acts and switch the year.

    Btw, I disagree with Randy about his logic about 69 festivals being rock shows. I agree with that point, but Coachella didn't exist in 69 and we're talking about placing Coachella into this decade (not Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza). Assuming Coachella existed back then, it's pointless to assume it'd have the same San Francisco heavyweights as every other festival. I don't see that as the aim of this competition.

    (but Randy had Miles Davis on his poster, right? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting his point)
    Ron Paul 2012!

    Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

  10. #1930
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,583

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    but Coachella didn't exist in 69 and we're talking about placing Coachella into this decade (not Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza). Assuming Coachella existed back then, it's pointless to assume it'd have the same San Francisco heavyweights as every other festival. I don't see that as the aim of this competition.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  11. #1931
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    Oh shit great idea! I'll just keep the same acts and switch the year.

    Btw, I disagree with Randy about his logic about 69 festivals being rock shows. I agree with that point, but Coachella didn't exist in 69 and we're talking about placing Coachella into this decade (not Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza). Assuming Coachella existed back then, it's pointless to assume it'd have the same San Francisco heavyweights as every other festival. I don't see that as the aim of this competition.

    (but Randy had Miles Davis on his poster, right? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting his point)
    I have no problem with Miles Davis on a poster. But he's not a sub.

    Your argument is fucking stupid. Woodstock, Monterey Pop, the list goes on and it's always rock acts at the top. Because rock music is what was desirable to sell tickets. You're talking about a festival audience. Jazz and mud don't really go together. You can't say, "well it shouldn't have the same San Francisco heavyweights" when those same heavyweights are still AT the fucking festival just grossly misplaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  12. #1932
    Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC NW
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I have no problem with Miles Davis on a poster. But he's not a sub.

    Your argument is fucking stupid. Woodstock, Monterey Pop, the list goes on and it's always rock acts at the top. Because rock music is what was desirable to sell tickets. You're talking about a festival audience. Jazz and mud don't really go together. You can't say, "well it shouldn't have the same San Francisco heavyweights" when those same heavyweights are still AT the fucking festival just grossly misplaced.
    Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you I just misinterpreted what you said. I totally agree that even if Miles Davis is the biggest jazz artist in the world he shouldn't be higher than other headlining rock acts at the same festival.
    Ron Paul 2012!

    Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

  13. #1933
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,107

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    also, if anybody with photoshop skills wants to collaborate with me, I have some ideas. PM me
    I'm serious about this. I've picked a year and jotted down about 70-75 bands in about 30 minutes of work. I don't want the free ticket, I just want the glory. Someone with good shopping skills PM me if you want an easy win.


    Also, many of you people have a very odd sense of history. I was griping with Rick about The Who and Van Morrison but that's small potatoes compared to a lot of what I've seen. For example, anyone who has The Police headlining any year prior to 1983 is smoking a crack pipe. I mean yeah they were popular but it was Synchronicity that made them bigtime. Ditto Springsteen pre-1984. Just not realistic people. both would have been subheadliners.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-15-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  14. #1934
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,583

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Tom, I'm not great at Photoshop but I can help you with your poster if you tell me what you're looking for (as long as it's not a year Rick or I have done-I'd be forced to fuck shit up for you if that were the case).

    I'm in it for the VIP pass; I love sitting around on couches with pretentious LA assholes drinking $10 vodka sodas.
    All joking aside, their a/c area is pretty nice.





    My biggest gripe is people putting Nirvana as a headliner in any other year but 1993. Dumb.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 02-15-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  15. #1935

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypolite View Post
    Snow day in Dallas means new Coachella retro poster.

    sbessisnowchella

  16. #1936
    Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC NW
    Posts
    6,007

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Is Dorkfish still updating the list of posters already finished or is someone else doing it or what?
    Ron Paul 2012!

    Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

  17. #1937
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,252

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Jazz and mud don't really go together.
    Yeah, 'cause so many people have horror stories about how muddy Coachella gets. Of all your arguments, that's gotta be the weakest.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  18. #1938

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    My entry.

    Last edited by vcpixie; 02-28-2010 at 07:56 PM.

  19. #1939
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    *BUMP*

    over useless secondary Sasquatch thread
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  20. #1940
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,107

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Erik's winning 1977 poster is very good. However, it seems strange to have The Clash on the bill, since they had no records released in the US, and very few people had ever heard of them. Not just mainstream people, I mean music people. In fact, their first UK single wasn't even released until March 1977, and the UK-only debut album in April, so when the lineup was announced in January, they would have literally been totally unknown. Finally, the Clash never even traveled to the US until 1978 during the recording of Give Em Enough Rope.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-16-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  21. #1941
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,252

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    That's the problem with a lot of the posters. Just because a band had an album released in that year doesn't mean they would have been remotely on the radar to garner a spot on a lineup released at the very beginning of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  22. #1942
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    part of the problem really comes from say a 16 year old trying to do a 1970's poster.

    Without living thru it, they wouldn't know those little things, no matter what wiki might say about it.

    I'm not even comfortable about my true "live thru it" music knowledge until the mid/early 80's, but I'm also a super nerd, and have very music nerdy parents.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  23. #1943
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,583

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Can I just say that I started researching another year, and I realized a memory I have from my young childhood.

    I had this album:

    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  24. #1944
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    40,107

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    part of the problem really comes from say a 16 year old trying to do a 1970's poster.

    Without living thru it, they wouldn't know those little things, no matter what wiki might say about it.

    I'm not even comfortable about my true "live thru it" music knowledge until the mid/early 80's, but I'm also a super nerd, and have very music nerdy parents.
    This is so true. anyone who criticizes my 1981 lineup (poster not done yet) had better be armed with a boatload of facts, cuz I really truly did live through it .. in 1981 I was 19 and working at a college radio station.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  25. #1945

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Last edited by Dr. Zaret; 02-16-2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: lineup change

  26. #1946
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,479

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Depeche Mode would not be billed that low. They'd either be headlining or 2nd act. After Violator came out (1990) they were selling out stadiums in the US without a problem.

  27. #1947
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,583

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Yep-the Rose Bowl show was in 88.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  28. #1948
    Member blackchango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mount Kilamanjaro
    Posts
    1,976

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    I wonder what a festival concert bill would look like if they existed in the 50's or earlier?
    Coachella 1939 anyone ?

  29. #1949
    Member beavington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    1,860

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    I wonder what a festival concert bill would look like if they existed in the 50's or earlier?
    Coachella 1939 anyone ?
    didnt someone do one for coachella 1883 or something? Back towards the beginning that was pretty funny.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

    Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

  30. #1950
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,479

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Yup, that was MooMoo.

Similar Threads

  1. Make a Coachella Lineup Poster In Retrospect Game
    By Queenie Cupcakes in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
  2. Name That Band Competition
    By Alchemy in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
  3. Karaoke competition at coachella '09
    By WastedTime in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
  4. The Stefinitely Maybe Retrospective Thread
    By Stefinitely Maybe in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 07:56 AM
  5. Gnarls Barkley would make the lineup Complete
    By thebigbadbear in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •