Page 20 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

beach boys!
    Originally Posted by bobert
    With a little help from LSD and Tool, I found God at Coachella.......

Elton's coming, bitches. I'll be ready for you in an hour or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I'm the only one with The Kinks, Tupac Shakur, and ABBA, I think.

Kind of a stupid argument, though... headliners are few and far between. Every year around here (and the other festival forums) we debate the same bands because there really aren't that many regular possibilities. Then, when the arguments about the headliners persist, most of us say "Well, the headliners are for tourists... I'm here for the undercard." And around and around.

Sure, lots of us have Floyd or David Bowie (and we'd take them BOTH at the '11 festival in a heartbeat)... the real fun comes in remembering Therapy?, or Sparks, or Cibo Matto... or whatever turns you on.

Coachella has only had five repeat headliners in 10 years, and three of them were in 2007. It's not that hard.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I'm the only one with The Kinks, Tupac Shakur, and ABBA, I think.
    I was going to tell you that Tupac was dead on your lineup... but then I realized he didn't die until September...

he totally could have been on my hip hop poster.

Quote Originally Posted by l337moomoo View Post
    Hip-hopchella : 1996

I had a so much fun making this and researching for it. hope it's accurate. thanks to the select board members who threw some suggestions my way for some of these acts.
    Unless you're trying to get Biggie killed a year too soon, you might want to have him headline a day with more East Coast acts. Looks to me like there'd be gunfire around 9pm on Sunday!

And Tupac was my big shock "get", since he was between gunshots & jail and eventual death. Everyone would remember that show, just for the historical impact.
    Last edited by TomServo; 01-30-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Coachella has only had five repeat headliners in 10 years, and three of them were in 2007. It's not that hard.
    Well, I meant the silly part is that we usually deride the headliners and focus on the undercard, but here we're concentrating a lot on the headliners and less so on the interesting undercards. Not pointing fingers, just an observation.

Unless you're trying to get Biggie killed a year too soon, you might want to have him headline a day with more East Coast acts. Looks to me like there'd be gunfire around 9pm on Sunday!

And Tupac was my big shock "get", since he was between gunshots & jail and eventual death. Everyone would remember that show, just for the historical impact.
    Huh? Sunday is mostly east coast. Nobody's fucking with Mobb Deep.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

xxxx
    Last edited by Westy; 02-28-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Upcoming shows:

Huh? Sunday is mostly east coast. Nobody's fucking with Mobb Deep.
    There are Death Row Records artists on Sunday - notably Snoop Dogg and Tha Dogg Pound. I wouldn't take that chance with my festival in 1996, no way!

From Wikipedia:
    "Tupac immediately began work on his Death Row album, kicking off his tenure by insulting Notorious B.I.G. and Puff Daddy, who he accused of setting him up to be robbed and shot earlier that year, as well as Bad Boy Entertainment, Mobb Deep and Nas. Tha Dogg Pound's debut album, Dogg Food, continued the label's streak of commercial successes; its members, rappers Kurupt and Daz Dillinger, joined Shakur in ridiculing New York rappers with their single "New York, New York," featuring Snoop Dogg.

The video, set in New York City, was also heightened when the set was fired upon in a driveby after Notorious B.I.G. appeared on radio telling listeners "2pac and Dogg Pound were in town making a music video dissing New York" which was not the case. After the shooting fueled by Biggie, Snoop and Dogg Pound decided to take a new turn with the video production and filmed new scenes kicking down building in New York."

Snoop was still Snoop Doggy Dogg back then too.

here are my first attempts at using photo shop
    i choose the artists because everyone had either released an album,reunited,or were touring in the year leading up to that coachella
    johnny cash was asked to play woodstock in 94 but refused because they wouldnt give him the main stage ,but im sure golden voice would have
    research done on web mainly wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by foxydj; 01-30-2010 at 06:15 PM.

There are Death Row Records artists on Sunday - notably Snoop Dogg and Tha Dogg Pound. I wouldn't take that chance with my festival in 1996, no way!

From Wikipedia:
    "Tupac immediately began work on his Death Row album, kicking off his tenure by insulting Notorious B.I.G. and Puff Daddy, who he accused of setting him up to be robbed and shot earlier that year, as well as Bad Boy Entertainment, Mobb Deep and Nas. Tha Dogg Pound's debut album, Dogg Food, continued the label's streak of commercial successes; its members, rappers Kurupt and Daz Dillinger, joined Shakur in ridiculing New York rappers with their single "New York, New York," featuring Snoop Dogg.

The video, set in New York City, was also heightened when the set was fired upon in a driveby after Notorious B.I.G. appeared on radio telling listeners "2pac and Dogg Pound were in town making a music video dissing New York" which was not the case. After the shooting fueled by Biggie, Snoop and Dogg Pound decided to take a new turn with the video production and filmed new scenes kicking down building in New York."
    Yes, there are two from the west coast on Sunday. Compared to Nas, Mobb Deep, the Fugees, LL, Tribe, The Roots, KRS, Redman, and Gza.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Plastic Ono Band performed with 3 of the Beatles. Paul never showed up.

After reading this thread I have a couple thoughts I'd like to share.*

I would like to ask the people behind this contest to sponsor another one for the sole purpose of shutting the unbearable pie hole of the one calling himself monklish. Putting aside his laughably outgrown sense of self, his opinions on others posters are not only boring and repeatative, but lacking simple common sense.*

I therefore suggest another contest be held. This time the rules ask for the most obscure and unlikely of bands to headline a past and fictional Coachella. Perhaps a G.G. Allen would make the perfect headliner for example. Perhaps this would satisfy monkdick's insatiable need for imagination from his fellow Coachella fans.*

Forget your urge to put the biggest names in rock music at the top. Our goal is to show our imagination and most importantly satisfy the mighty monklips. If only those behind Coachella only had such vivid imaginations as does monkdip, perhaps they would have run the festival into the ground. Who wants to sell tickets by placing the biggest and*most popular bandss as headliners? We want to show our imaginations off. And hopefully monkpiss would then be able to sleep at night without worrying about the pitiful top choices like Pink Floud, Beatles, Led Zep, Stones, etc. Heaven knows these are lousy choices. Who wants to see such obvious bands anyway? And who would dare choose them for an imaginary festival from an imagnary past? Certainly not I.

If we all band together and with the same spirit in which Coachella is held every year agree to either participate in such a contest or collectively hold our virtual hands together and swear a solemn vow to ignore the insufferable monkturd, we can resume our daily lives with just that much leas stupidity, negativity, and waste of keyboard strokes. Isn't that what Ciachella is all about anyway?

P.S. Is the picture we all see the real monkpuss? Would this waste of cum actually embarrass himself like this and use his real face to only expose himself while walking the polo grounds of Indio? I doubt it. I wish to send a note to the sorry sap whose face is being used in such a scandalous manner. He really should be notified. *

please learn to use the ignore feature.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Elton's coming, bitches. I'll be ready for you in an hour or two.
    pshhht, its been done already by a few other people.
    no coachella for me this year. lineup is too weak to fly coast to coast.

also, i'd be curious to know what monkwhatever thinks of this year's lineup. meet your standards? are you even going?

This is how it's done.

Now before you all jump up trying to poke holes in it allow me to address a few things. 1) These aren't my favorite bands. I don't even necessarily like all of them. They are purely my attempt to pick a lineup that would actually look somewhat different from the rest of you.
    2) Coachella almost never picks two or three of the same kinds of headliners at all, and I tried to reflect that here. It's a diverse festival for multiple tastes in music, so I tried to put in something for everybody. Everybody gets a headliner--Alice Cooper for the hard rock fanatics, The Dead (who I can't stand personally) for the hippies, and Elton for the pop fans.
    3) There's plenty of soul, some rock, some older artists, some one hit wonders, a little comedy or spoken word on each day courtesy of Carlin, Hunter S. Thompson, and Pryor, some country, etc.

With regards to specifics billings:

Alice Cooper could absolutely have headlined whether it makes Dani puke or not. He was in the middle of a huge arena tour in 73 in which he was pioneering concert theatrics, including occasionally dropping stuff on the crowd from a helicopter. He was huge at the time, his headliner status is not up for debate.

Jefferson Airplane was almost over, 73 was the last year anyone had a chance of catching a half-decent show by them, but they were not so big as to demand headlining. Stevie Wonder was picking up a lot of steam but he's in the right place.

Marvin Gaye was also huge at this point, doing arenas over 10k in certain cities. Over 70 percent of the female attendees would become pregnant the night after his performance. Paul Simon's solo career was taking off and he had a lot of recognition from Simon & Garfunkel, but not enough to headline to my dismay, that would take a few more years.

If anyone questions The Band's placement I will kill them. The Band were a legendarily good act. If you don't know about them, go pick up Music From Big Pink, but don't question their placement. The Jackson 5 were right at the end of their stint, in another year or two they'd have left Motown and started to dissolve, but in 73 they were still holding on to a decent amount of the insane popularity they had.

I'll be adding some more bands in to fill it out but I wanted to get this up before somebody snagged any of these choices.

Good evening, bitches.
    Last edited by Monklish; 01-31-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Oh wow, another Michael Jackson.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Oh wow, another Michael Jackson.
    you just aren't really a pleasant person, huh?

and bra-vo on the poster. you certainly showed the coachella message board.

also, a pretty fucking nice poster for someone who doesnt know their way around photo editing programs, or even for someone who does.

and what charlie parker are you talking about?
    the jazz saxophonist? the one who died in the 50s? Couldnt be, right? So who?

Thank you. It was annoying as all shit to figure out how to make it work, but fortunately I have exceptional taste and judgment.

Let's see who's my competition in 1973...

AngieB has Pink Floyd, The Who, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, and Queen.

and abcdefg has Pink Floyd, The Who, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley, and John Lennon.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by halyem View Post
    and what charlie parker are you talking about?
    the jazz saxophonist? the one who died in the 50s? Couldnt be, right? So who?
    Good catch. Not sure when that name got into my list. Revision coming.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I'll be adding some more bands in to fill it out but I wanted to get this up before somebody snagged any of these choices.

Good evening, bitches.
    well, a chunk of your artists have been on my posters. as well as others here too.

also, you have slade on day one and two.

im out, wheres that ignore function?

Quote Originally Posted by halyem View Post
    well, a chunk of your artists have been on my posters. as well as others here too.

also, you have slade on day one and two.

im out, wheres that ignore function?
    Minor corrections for a major artist. You can ignore me by clicking on my username and going to my profile, the option's in there somewhere. Boy you'd have to be a real dipshit to do it, though. I'm where the fun happens.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

So here is my 2nd design. Once again I can't get a full poster to preview like everyone else. I can't figure out why, but whatever. This time its 1993.

I like a lot of the designs I've seen but I do have comments on what I get from the "instructions". To me it says to design a poster that is a "Coachella-style" poster, which means that it looks like the designs we see every year with only slight variations. Now, this doesn't mean you can't be creative (a lot of you really are). Fonts, background etc... should look like they do every year. I also chose to really focus on what a real retro Coachella would have been: diverse and eclectic in both style/genre and a mix of well known artists and up-and-comers, some of whom may have gone on to be a success and some who may have never been heard from again. Ultimately, I tried to make it all as real as possible with a large quantiy of artists each day and and a line-up that would really represent what Coachella is about - a little bit for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    So here is my 2nd design. Once again I can't get a full poster to preview like everyone else. I can't figure out why, but whatever. This time its 1993.

I like a lot of the designs I've seen but I do have comments on what I get from the "instructions". To me it says to design a poster that is a "Coachella-style" poster, which means that it looks like the designs we see every year with only slight variations. Now, this doesn't mean you can't be creative (a lot of you really are). Fonts, background etc... should look like they do every year. I also chose to really focus on what a real retro Coachella would have been: diverse and eclectic in both style/genre and a mix of well known artists and up-and-comers, some of whom may have gone on to be a success and some who may have never been heard from again. Ultimately, I tried to make it all as real as possible with a large quantiy of artists each day and and a line-up that would really represent what Coachella is about - a little bit for everyone.
    Dude, I don't understand what the fuck your issue with uploading the poster is. What site are you uploading it to?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.