Page 38 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 3600

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJ View Post
    haha, hopefully not just for me! lol. I'm just trying to help. that is as long as you don't have a poster in the same year as I do I am trying to help.
    haha well thank, and good luck to ya
    If You Love Someone, Set Them On Fire

All these designs are great.... lots of good competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jennnn_5 View Post
    turn on. tune in. drop out.
    i feel a little ripped off on the lineup, but i like the design.
    no coachella for me this year. lineup is too weak to fly coast to coast.

I created an entirely new design for another 1998 poster. Here are both versions:

*New* Dino-Chella Version:

Alien-Chella Version:

Thanks! I guess that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Save_Haiti View Post
    Coachella 1975! Enjoy!

Do you guys think I put in enough bands??? And any other constructive criticism would be great!
    Last edited by Save_Haiti; 02-02-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Do you guys think I put in enough bands??? And any other constructive criticism would be great!
    no, i dont think you put in enough bands, but i also think it doesnt matter. its a cool poster and no one really knows exactly by what criteria this will be judged.
    fix the edge over the mountains.
    no coachella for me this year. lineup is too weak to fly coast to coast.

All these designs are great.... lots of good competition.
    No they're not. Most of them suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Seven bands per day is plenty dude, don't stress.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Lurker

edit:
    Last edited by jennnn_5; 02-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by halyem View Post
    no, i dont think you put in enough bands, but i also think it doesnt matter. its a cool poster and no one really knows exactly by what criteria this will be judged.
    fix the edge over the mountains.
    what do you think about this one? I changed the bottom a bit... : )
    -The question is am I my brother and sister's keeper?
    -The answer is more than that.
    -I am my brother and my sister.
    -I am a person trapped in a building which has collapsed in Haiti.
    -I am a father who cannot get to his children in Haiti.
    -I am a mother who is injured holding her injured baby with no aid.
    -I am not ashamed to say i need your help and I am grateful to say thank you.

Dr. Maya Angelou
    http://savehaitisaturday.com/

Coachella 1975! Enjoy!

Credit:
    -Adobe Illustrator CS4
    -www.Coachella.com Homepage header.

Last time I quote myself again...I promise. Does anyone have any last suggestions for me? I wont be able to edit anything again for awhile because I will be away from my computer for a week...Thanks.
    -The question is am I my brother and sister's keeper?
    -The answer is more than that.
    -I am my brother and my sister.
    -I am a person trapped in a building which has collapsed in Haiti.
    -I am a father who cannot get to his children in Haiti.
    -I am a mother who is injured holding her injured baby with no aid.
    -I am not ashamed to say i need your help and I am grateful to say thank you.

Dr. Maya Angelou
    http://savehaitisaturday.com/

So fucking glad to be done. Criticism welcome.

Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 02-02-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    So fucking glad to be done. Criticism welcome.

You have Stereolab on both days, which should actually be a plus.

I think Blur would be a lil higher than Pavement at that point, since Leisure was already somewhat big, but no biggie. Suede also seems a bit high, but they were so hyped that its certainly justifiable. Hell, I put them on my 1991 lineup just so I could have them playing Coachella with Frischmann. Also, its one of many possible backstage brawls I've envisioned for that year.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

1992 - I think there are fourth and fifth-line bands that would easily place higher than your sub-subheadliners.

Seems like you wanted to stuff your undercard with every band that would be huge in the next few years, and that throws your authenticity out the window. No festival has ever had a crystal ball with this level of accuracy!

But... as I've said before, it's your poster. Have fun with it! I'd definitely attend this!

Maybe that should be the rule... if you can't imagine a human being who wouldn't attend, your lineup is probably too strong. It's rare festivals are so amazing that you'd be a fool to stay home, unless you're a fanatic. This would qualify as that good.

Oops, thanks for pointing out the Stereolab thing. You're probably right about Pavement and Blur and I could honestly say some of the undercard is probably slightly misbilled too but I could say that about any Coachella lineup.

And true, many became big in the next coming years and was gonna change that but menik's winning poster made me keep this lineup. It does foreshadow the next few years, that's for sure.

I just wish the text didn't look so shitty.

Edit: When I edited this post, instead of a save button it said "Vote Now"

???

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    1992 - I think there are fourth and fifth-line bands that would easily place higher than your sub-subheadliners.

Seems like you wanted to stuff your undercard with every band that would be huge in the next few years, and that throws your authenticity out the window. No festival has ever had a crystal ball with this level of accuracy!

But... as I've said before, it's your poster. Have fun with it! I'd definitely attend this!

Maybe that should be the rule... if you can't imagine a human being who wouldn't attend, your lineup is probably too strong. It's rare festivals are so amazing that you'd be a fool to stay home, unless you're a fanatic. This would qualify as that good.
    You do realize this is an imaginary "What If" contest, right? You have seen Erik's poster, right? Are you implying that everyone should fill their undercard with obscure shitty bands? No offense, but just because you put Soul Coughing and Blues Traveler on your poster doesn't mean everyone should.

Aside from NIN, Pearl Jam, and possibly Soundgarden and STP, what bands do you think were bigger than his subs in early 1992? Sonic Youth headlined Lolla over Hole in '94, and that was Hole's apex.
    Last edited by the goat; 02-02-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Nirvana wouldn't be headlining at that point in their career. I'd swap them with Depeche Mode (since THEY would actually headline) and throw them onto Friday and get another subbie for Friday too.
    For Peter B: it just Pixies, not The Pixies. They don't use "The" Just trying to help.

1992:

I think Blur is in the right spot actually (you could move them up a line or two) but they only sold just over 100 thousand copies of Leisure by the time their second record came out (in the US).

Modern Life is Rubbish (which wasn't out yet at the time of your festival), did even less.

One thing you could do to the band lists, is give them another level of separation. Meaning, make the lower tier bands a smaller font
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-02-2010 at 05:04 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    1992:

I think Blur is in the right spot actually (you could move them up a line or two) but they only sold just over 100 thousand copies of Leisure by the time their second record came out (in the US).
    Which is about 95,000 more copies than Seaweed, Luna, Pavement, OCS, Spiritualized, Green Day, Rage, Afghan Whigs, MMBT and Tool had sold at that point. Combined.

Not that they should be moved above Soup Dragons, though. That would be sacrilege.

Honestly, Tickle's lineup is great, its one of my favorite posters. You've got mine, and one look makes it obvious that its Dreamchella as far as the bottom two lines on each day. I was just tryin to point out that Blur was actually kinda big by 1992. By Coachella standards anyway.

I gave them (Blur) to much credit in the USA it seems, The 100k for Leisure is actually to date.

Leisure US 100,000 - UK 100,000
    Modern Life Is Rubbish US 45,000 - UK 100,000
    Parklife US 100,000 - UK 1.3 Million
    The Great Escape US 100,000 - UK 1.1 Million
    Live at the Budakon US 3,000 - UK 70,000
    Blur US 500,000 - UK 600,000
    13 US 130,000 - UK 400,000
    Best of US 70,000 - UK 1.1 Million
    Think Tank US 100,000 - UK 250,000

then there's this:
    Gorillaz US 2 Million - UK 1.1 Million
    Demon Days US 2.3 Million - UK 1.6 Million
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-02-2010 at 07:06 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Either way. The simple fact that they had sold any records at all would probably bump them off my bottom line. Its funny that we're even talking about record sales, anyway.

The first thought I had when I read about the contest was "Holy shit, I gotta do 1990 or 1991 so I can put On a Friday on a Sunday!" Which is, of course, total bullshit as far as reality. But its been fun so far.

They did get signed by an EMI rep who happened to walk into the record store where Colin was working.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    I gave them (Blur) to much credit in the USA it seems, The 100k for Leisure is actually to date.

Leisure US 100,000 - UK 100,000
    Modern Life Is Rubbish US 45,000 - UK 100,000
    Parklife US 100,000 - UK 1.3 Million
    The Great Escape US 100,000 - UK 1.1 Million
    Live at the Budakon US 3,000 - UK 70,000
    Blur US 500,000 - UK 600,000
    13 US 130,000 - UK 400,000
    Best of US 70,000 - UK 1.1 Million
    Think Tank US 100,000 - UK 250,000

then there's this:
    Gorillaz US 2 Million - UK 1.1 Million
    Demon Days US 2.3 Million - UK 1.6 Million
    Ha, ha! Great work! So then they were as popular in the US in 1992 as they ever were, except for that one moment when they were 5 times as popular as they ever were. I'm afraid of Americans!

Last time I quote myself again...I promise. Does anyone have any last suggestions for me? I wont be able to edit anything again for awhile because I will be away from my computer for a week...Thanks.
    With 7-11 acts a day, you really have no chance at even being considered.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i spent hours on the background last night. i cannot wait to see how this all looks , but i have to say, i'm a bit bummed my coachella doesn't exist, i really want to go lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    Aside from NIN, Pearl Jam, and possibly Soundgarden and STP, what bands do you think were bigger than his subs in early 1992? Sonic Youth headlined Lolla over Hole in '94, and that was Hole's apex.
    When you have to preface your response with "aside from" four different bands who would all have headliner status within 2 years of this show, you're answering your own question.

Undercards are generally packed with bands who will never have enough popularity to become headliners. In fact, go back and look at the previous Coachella lineups and find more than one or two bands from line 4 down that ever reached that level of popularity... they aren't there. This poster has *ELEVEN* bands (by my count) from line 4 on that would go on and headline major festivals in the USA in the near future. Eleven! I struggled to find more than two bands appearing that low who would be legit slam-dunk headliners in Coachella's entire history.

I'm trying to be helpful to other folks here. I haven't bashed anyone's poster, I'm trying to help them improve their work, and every post I've said "hey, it's your own poster, have fun." But if I were a judge, there's absolutely no way I'd reward a poster that was somehow more prescient than any lineup in festival history. It just comes off as lazy and/or self-indulgent, and this guy obviously wasn't lazy, he worked hard on putting out a quality poster... he just overdid the popular alt-rock acts.

But as with everything else here, this has to be an argument. I suppose it is a good way to keep other people out of the contest... and off the board altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkMilkMilk View Post

I think your poster would look a lot cooler if the text at the top faded from white or grey to black, so the text would contrast with the sky evenly.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    When you have to preface your response with "aside from" four different bands who would all have headliner status within 2 years of this show, you're answering your own question.
    Again, look at Erik's poster. He's got Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Dolly Parton, Chicago, Aerosmith and the Jacksons as undercards. All are future headliners.

Not to mention Captain Beefheart, Gordon Lightfoot, Sex Pistols, the Cars, Talking Heads, Ramones, Blondie, Television, Blue Oyster Cult and Procol Harum.

Also, he's got the Clash as a sub and Sex Pistols on the bottom line even thought the Clash opened for the Pistols in December 1976. They didn't even release their first single until March, 1977. Siouxsee & the Banshees had played a handful of shows.

But you know what? That poster is fucking awesome. Because it COULD have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    1990 - The year I graduated High School. Brings back some memories for sure. Before you say "Mother Love Bone is wrong, let me explain. In January when the line-up is announced they have every intention of playing, but Andrew Wood dies in March, just a couple weeks before the show. Style Council who broke up in late 1989 play a one-off of Modernism (A new decade) in the Sahara tent where the new "rave" scene is really becoming a hit.

Done in the style of the "product" designs that were so popular with Rave CD compilations in the early 1990's.

Comments?

Can I please get some feedback? Design comments? Line up critique? Anything? (Helpful that is).

Quote Originally Posted by MilkMilkMilk View Post

zappa was in a wheelchair
    Originally Posted by bobert
    With a little help from LSD and Tool, I found God at Coachella.......

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    Can I please get some feedback? Design comments? Line up critique? Anything? (Helpful that is).
    Prince is never a subheadliner, I don't know where people get that idea. Frankly I don't think REM is either at that point, but that's debatable. The overall design is kinda inventive. Looks a lot like a detergent box. I think the dates are supposed to be in the right hand corner not the left, though I'm just getting that from some other boardie and who knows how full of shit she is. I would take out the New And Improved Formula.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.