Page 13 of 120 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I did several hours of research yesterday on several years and finally gave up.

I don't doubt that INXS would have headlined, I'm saying that the rest of the headliners were obvious and that the placement of the subs is just insane. In what fucking world were Pixies that popular in 1988? In what world are Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark and Pixies billed above Guns and Roses and Public Enemy in 1988? Temptations, really? The Blues Brothers six years after John died?
    Also, you said something about a 1965. Even though it's out of the guidelines, I think it would be cool to see anyway.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    This guy wins simply for having Felt and Orange Juice on his poster!

I think OJ was gone by '88, but according to Dani's rules you're OK. She only forbade naming any bands prematurely. However, there's an unspoken rule that you should only name bands/artists who were currently performing. If only to keep things from getting utterly ridiculous.

Either way, welcome to Coachella, fabulous poster, indeed!
    I have Felt on mine too, and Orange Juice was done in 84.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Some method to my madness...

That is madness. I just used spreadsheets
    Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I have Felt on mine too, and Orange Juice was done in 84.
    Yeah several people had OJ on their posters. Greatness for their time.
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

Pixies released Surfer Rosa that year. They had a lot of buzz. May be right about the placement being too high. If I could go back and change, I'd switch the Pixies and Public Enemy. OMD was huge though.

OMD over GnR because GnR had just released Appetite for Destruction 9 months prior, and didn't become a major hit until the summer of 88 when they released Sweet Child O Mine. (I remember going to see GnR in late 88; they played at the Celebrity Theatre here - a 3,000 seat venue). If anything, I billed them too high.

Temptations had just reunited with a third incarnation of the band and released a new album. Probably unrealistic to have them up so high, but I couldn't figure out who else would go into Michael Jackson.

The Blues Brothers reunited in 1988 with Jim in John's place because of the new Blues Brothers movie. They toured all over the place. I mostly threw them in as a joke.
    The new movie was in 1998, not 88, although I see now that they did do a world tour in 88 apparently, so I'll give you that. Surfer Rosa was an import to America, it was put out on a British label, I don't think anyone outside of college radio DJs had any idea who Pixies were then. Guns N Roses were playing 100,000 people festivals in England in spring of 1988 and people were getting trampled to death.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

The new movie was in 1998, not 88, although I see now that they did do a world tour in 88 apparently, so I'll give you that. Surfer Rosa was an import to America, it was put out on a British label, I don't think anyone outside of college radio DJs had any idea who Pixies were then. Guns N Roses were playing 100,000 people festivals in England in spring of 1988 and people were getting trampled to death.
    Not sure about the GnR in Europe thing unless it was later in the year. The main reason I remember that show here in Phoenix (correction, it was Feb of 88) is my best friend (at the time) gave the roadie a blow job so we could meet the band. Then she had to pull down her pants and show Slash her ass before he would autograph her boobs.

No joke.

Also, you said something about a 1965. Even though it's out of the guidelines, I think it would be cool to see anyway.
    It's not all that interesting and I sure as fuck ain't making a poster for it when it can't even win me anything, but here was the basic lineup:

Friday
    The Supremes
    James Brown and the Famous Flames

Saturday
    The Beach Boys
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    The Byrds

Sunday
    Bob Dylan
    Chuck Berry
    The Animals

Undercard
    Temptations
    The Who
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Buffalo Springfield
    Harry Belafonte
    Tom Jones
    Duke Ellington
    Thelonious Monk
    Joan Baez
    Big Brother and the Holding Company
    Jefferson Airplane
    The Doors
    Them
    The Statler Brothers
    Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

The only thing I really liked about it is that all the bands on the 69 70 posters were just starting this year so they would be bottom line.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

This guy wins simply for having Felt and Orange Juice on his poster!

I think OJ was gone by '88, but according to Dani's rules you're OK. She only forbade naming any bands prematurely. However, there's an unspoken rule that you should only name bands/artists who were currently performing. If only to keep things from getting utterly ridiculous.

Either way, welcome to Coachella, fabulous poster, indeed!
    Thank man, I worked pretty hard on it.

Not sure about the GnR in Europe thing unless it was later in the year. The main reason I remember that show here in Phoenix (correction, it was Feb of 88) is my best friend (at the time) gave the roadie a blow job so we could meet the band. Then she had to pull down her pants and show Slash her ass before he would autograph her boobs.

No joke.
    February of 88 makes a lot more sense. Don't snort at a 3000 person venue. Yeah Yeah Yeahs are still playing 3000 person venues.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

That's pretty cool, actually. Erik, make the man a poster.

I did several hours of research yesterday on several years and finally gave up.

I don't doubt that INXS would have headlined, I'm saying that the rest of the headliners were obvious and that the placement of the subs is just insane. In what fucking world were Pixies that popular in 1988? In what world are Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark and Pixies billed above Guns and Roses and Public Enemy in 1988? Temptations, really? The Blues Brothers six years after John died?
    In 1999 it was Beck healing with Chemicals and Morrissey. Its all a fantasy anyway, and neither of us are judges (as far as it goes), so its all just a meaningless argument. And by "meaningless argument" I mean "the most important fucking thing that has ever happened. Ever"
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

In 1999 it was Beck healing with Chemicals and Morrissey. Its all a fantasy anyway, and neither of us are judges (as far as it goes), so its all just a meaningless argument. And by "meaningless argument" I mean "the most important fucking thing that has ever happened. Ever"
    Yes, in 1999 it was that. It was a very popular artist with two slightly less popular but significant artists below him. Know what there wasn't? A tremendously more popular artist and either the Chems or Morrissey on the line below. It wasn't The Beta Band subheadlining over Marilyn Manson, regardless of how much we dislike GnR or Manson.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

The Blues Brothers six years after John died?
    That must've been a typo, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt; the Blues Brothers do not exist post-Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    and this made me laugh.
    John Philip Sousa would be listed much much higher.

That must've been a typo, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt; the Blues Brothers do not exist post-Jake.
    After the death of Belushi in 1982, the Blues Brothers have continued to perform with a rotation of guest singers and other band members. The band reformed in 1988 for a world tour and again in 1998 for a sequel to the film, Blues Brothers 2000. They make regular appearances at musical festivals worldwide.

Last edited by Cammo; 01-29-2010 at 12:25 PM.

the year is missing
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Yes, in 1999 it was that. It was a very popular artist with two slightly less popular but significant artists below him. Know what there wasn't? A tremendously more popular artist and either the Chems or Morrissey on the line below. It wasn't The Beta Band subheadlining over Marilyn Manson, regardless of how much we dislike GnR or Manson.
    I see what you're saying, but part of the idea is just to indulge in idle speculation. So let's,

I was about to put GnR on my '90, but I couldn't fit them in as a sub, and they certainly couldn't be below that. Does that make me elitist?

After the death of Belushi in 1982, the Blues Brothers have continued to perform with a rotation of guest singers and other band members. The band reformed in 1988 for a world tour and again in 1998 for a sequel to the film, Blues Brothers 2000. They make regular appearances at musical festivals worldwide.
    I am aware that there is a group of people who have, and continue to, perform under the name The Blues Brothers. Thank you for reminding me.

P.S. You and that new guy should still get automatic tix for having Felt on your poster. Also, anyone who shows up at the gates with any Coachella poster, whether real or otherwise, made up of at least 42% real felt, gets nothing.

Here's another take on 1972, with the a more standard poster format.

Last edited by TomServo; 01-29-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Edited to Add dates and fix Roxy Music madness!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post

Still no Bowie...

I keed, I keed. This is a runaway winner on content alone, never mind the handsome poster. Why no award?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post

Decent lineup. No way would Roxy be billed that high. Their debut album wasn't even released until June 72.

Good looking poster (72), but you forgot the dates--

Quote Originally Posted by Cammo View Post
    so you did that one just for fun? like the 1884 one?
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Decent lineup. No way would Roxy be billed that high. Their debut album wasn't even released until June 72.
    Good point! I think I accidentally swapped them with Neil Young at some point... but I'll drop them down a bit.

I was going on the theory that a lot of experimental bands gained popularity by trying stuff out live before they recorded it... but yeah, way high. That's the toughest part of these things.

And I'll fix the dates. Oops!

Same fucking bands one poster after another. I just plotted out a year that should win handily, but I still don't know dick about graphic design. Seriously guys, find some new fucking headliners. So tiresome.

Seriously: Goldenvoice doesn't get the three biggest bands of the year every year. Nor do they cater to just one musical taste.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by JClemy View Post
    I'm thinking of doing a few more. Winning would be cool but it's fun to make. I'm realizing how little I know about photoshop when I look at some of these.
    Geez, I'm realizing how bad I want photoshop now, and I know about GIMP and have it, but then I realized I've got a lot of playing around to do before Feb. deadline. You guys may be spared afterall.

C DUB YA, considering your filing system for your concert tickets, this doesn't suprise me! It's such organized madness though. I mean, even if I combined all the dope I've ever done, I couldn't pull this off! LOL Awesome submissions, BTW!
    Last edited by BROKENDOLL; 01-29-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I can only imagine what Paul T's desk looks like...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypolite View Post
    Tweaked it a little.
    Concert Calendar:

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com