Page 26 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

I'm taking out the Goldenvoice Presents line. If you judges dare to upset the natural order of things by denying me my festival tickets as a result, well, I'll see you in hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Only 19 a day? Come on you can name more than that. How about obscurities? At least one?

On a design note, remember that background is background. Don't let the images overpower the focal pint (the words). Also don't make the damn header so big. It is much less important in the hierarchical order than you've got it. It also seems odd to right align the 2nd day but not to keep it straight. Again, let it cover the background. When you post the date vertically in the lamp, it loks like a label. I wouldn't do it. Because it may come down to details, you also may want to center align your white and black ovals a little better. They look sloppy. One last thing you need to keep the top within the margins, which I would recommend be te same as the left side.

Now you know.

Up for auction!

Original 1988 Coachella Music and Arts Festival poster. Excellent condition. Autographed by Michael Jackson, Nick Cave, Jerry Garcia and many more!

Starting Bid: One ticket to Coachella 2010

But seriously... if anyone out there sees anywhere I can make improvements... suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited by silence_as_sound; 02-03-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fixed size /

man... that is fucking original. I wish I could give you some advice on the lineup but I suck at that kind of thing. awesome design though, obviously.

awesome.
    no coachella for me this year. lineup is too weak to fly coast to coast.

typos:
    should be "cocteau twins"
    should be "dinosaur jr" (they changed in '87)
    should be "public enemy"
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I've noticed a lot of these posters don't have reunions. That's Coachella's thing!

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    Only 19 a day? Come on you can name more than that. How about obscurities? At least one?

On a design note, remember that background is background. Don't let the images overpower the focal pint (the words). Also don't make the damn header so big. It is much less important in the hierarchical order than you've got it. It also seems odd to right align the 2nd day but not to keep it straight. Again, let it cover the background. When you post the date vertically in the lamp, it loks like a label. I wouldn't do it. Because it may come down to details, you also may want to center align your white and black ovals a little better. They look sloppy. One last thing you need to keep the top within the margins, which I would recommend be te same as the left side.

Now you know.
    Eh, I like my background. The lamp is both 70s and pretty. Get stuffed on that front. The header has been changed on account of Menik posting a useable white header. Check your link again, now it's busier at the top but the header looks better. As far as keeping the second day straight, I tried it some and didn't like how it looks. The background either needs to exist as it is or be done away with entirely. Look at the fucking Woodstock poster, it's mostly bird and other crap. As far as the date looking like a label, well, I don't see that as a problem. A real poster wouldn't need the fucking date displayed real big. This is a fantasy contest. I think the year looks better there getting confused for a label than it does on most of these.

The alignment could be smoother but that will come as the rest of the bands are filled out. And the white and black ovals were actually a fortuitous accident. I was making black ovals with dates on a separate white image and couldn't think of a better way to get them out them to try to match up an ellipse select. It didn't work perfectly, but the result looked better. I might clean it up, might not. As it stands, I got my day in the bag.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

awesome thanks so much. changing now. i've been working on this for three days straight and believe i have forgotten how to read. thanks for the help!

okay i figured out my lineup now i just need to put together the poster / :

I love how these posters have like 3 or 4 headliners a day. For example all those posters with Neil Young sub-headlining, c'mon really now? also I've seen a few that have Depeche Mode sub headlining which is fine pre 1986 but in 1986 they played arenas.
    Last edited by summerkid; 01-30-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by silence_as_sound View Post
    Up for auction!

Original 1988 Coachella Music and Arts Festival poster. Excellent condition. Autographed by Michael Jackson, Nick Cave, Jerry Garcia and many more!

But seriously... if anyone out there sees anywhere I can make improvements... suggestions would be much appreciated!

*fixed the size

Okay I frequent these forums, but after seeing this I had to register and comment on this. Absolutely incredible! The poster itself is a work of art. The originality of the poster with the autographs is fantastic. It's an explosion of color. While being completely original it still maintains the classic mountains of past Coachella posters to keep us grounded in the fact that THIS IS A COACHELLA LINE UP.

The line up is equally great, and I think plausible. The headliners would take the festival from being great-- to cultural event of the decade. I'm figuring ticket prices for Coachella in the 80s would be much cheaper. So picture a sea of Dead Heads descending on Coachella combine that with Michael Jackson who after the release of "Bad" in '87 was at a creative peak. To see those two alone would be the price of admission for 3 day pass.

Where does the bidding start for this one?

Up for auction!

Last edited by silence_as_sound; 02-03-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo correction / added

question for pf

do we have to use the "coachella template" or does it have the same validation if we use our own design?

im asking because in the first post there's font specification
    as predicted by nostradamus

Quote Originally Posted by matsuolost View Post
    question for pf

do we have to use the "coachella template" or does it have the same validation if we use our own design?

I'd lean towards the "coachella template". Thematically, every real Coachella poster has had the centered header at top and the mountain/palm trees incorporated. Eurostile has been the font of choice for the last 7-8 years. The majority of the recent posters follow the 800x600 dimensions layout. Deviating from this makes it something other than a Coachella poster, in my opinion, but I'm not judging, clearly. I think that it takes creativity to make something interesting out of a given template.

However, some decent designs have popped out, so it's possible that some entirely new designs strike their fancy as creative ideas.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

well that helped a lot

Son of a whore. Alright, I've been trying to get a legible version of the Indio California thing copied for a while now and it just doesn't work. the L and I in California are way too faint. By the time I flip them into white and copy they just don't show up. Any ideas?
    Try replacing the color. The menu pop up let's you choose what color to replace it with, as long as you are working on that file alone, you can color it whatever you wish.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

There are not nearly enough acts on silence of sound's poster, esp for 3 days. I mean 12 acts over 5 stages???

I think one of the reasons the format is the way it is - so Coachella can list ALL the acts on the poster.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by matsuolost View Post
    question for pf

I'm sure it's kinda open... but I'd lean toward a more "coachella" template, just for the reason of getting the amount of acts all listed on the poster, but that's just me. After all there's a reason the header graphics were given along with the font.

Also see 1977 winning poster design.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    There are not nearly enough acts on silence of sound's poster, esp for 3 days. I mean 12 acts over 5 stages???

I think one of the reasons the format is the way it is - so Coachella can list ALL the acts on the poster.

There is a lack of acts but there weren't necessarily 5 stages at the time and clearly his poster is quite innovative. I don't think we know exactly what the judges are leaning towards are far as content so maybe his is perfect for all we know? But I would at least condense it into two days, I suppose.
    Last edited by TerminallyCHILL; 01-31-2010 at 01:04 AM.

1997:

Tool has really hit their stride with Aenima; Radiohead unveils a couple songs from their upcoming album OK Computer; Jeff Buckley takes a break from recording Sketches for My Sweetheart The Drunk to play Coachella, which would tragically be his final performance; Daft Punk plays their first US festival (sans robot masks); Echo & The Bunnymen reunite for a tour; The Flaming Lips attempt their Zaireeka experiment; and Prince is no longer named Prince.

Last edited by im so indie; 02-25-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Lurker

...and the winner is???

"i can't get no sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by im so indie View Post
    1997:

Tool has really hit their stride with Aenima; Radiohead unveils a couple songs from their upcoming album OK Computer; Jeff Buckley takes a break from recording Sketches for My Sweetheart The Drunk to play Coachella, which would tragically be his final performance; Daft Punk plays their first US festival (sans robot masks); Echo & The Bunnymen reunite for a tour; The Flaming Lips attempt their Zaireeka experiment; and Prince is no longer named Prince.

Excellent choice with the Zaireeka Experiment. Although I think it would be more "in the parking lot" as I don't think the vehicles would have been at the campgrounds at that time? I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by TerminallyCHILL; 01-31-2010 at 03:16 AM.

updated 1974...

Quote Originally Posted by ranchito View Post
    updated 1974...
    It's Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Heres my submission for 1980. I chose the year because its the year I was born.
    As for the musicians, So what about the order and whos headlining. This is a fictional spoof of an event. THeres alot of good line ups that could go on forever. I made sure to use the header, the eurostile font and made a lil mountain for those. I see some defects in it but I am only in this for the creativity and ticket. If I win, that would be awesome. This was made with Ai
    Let the criticism begin.....

Last edited by Natatit; 01-31-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Why cant i get it to post the picture??? What gives here......... Anyone???
    Last edited by Natatit; 01-31-2010 at 05:48 AM. Reason: I fixedddddttttteddd it

A. Lot. Of. People. Are. Not. Doing. Their. Research.
    The Glitter Freeze

Thumbs down Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Research for what???

Quote Originally Posted by Natatit View Post
    stop hurting my eyes