Page 7 of 120 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Love it....but its just, Beastie Boys
    Ah fuck. I'll fix it.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Drool.

EDIT Diamanda Galas. Nice touch.
    Great Line up for '82

Quote Originally Posted by blastyourears View Post

1993 - Brought to you by Crystal Pepsi & Taco Bell.

See You There !!!
    Love the old school T-Bell logo. haha

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, here, but it's preposterous that Smashing Pumpkins would be headlining in April 1991, and few people has any idea who NIN and Cypress Hill were.

Plus, Pearl Jam didn't even RECORD "Ten" until March of '91. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, here, but it's preposterous that Smashing Pumpkins would be headlining in April 1991, and few people has any idea who NIN and Cypress Hill were.

NIN was on Lolla the same year, but the rest of your criticism stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

NIN was on Lolla the same year, but the rest of your criticism stands.
    Sure, in late summer, and that's when most people found out about them. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be on the poster at all, though... maybe just that they should be a line lower than Jane's Addiction, who were the hot stuff at that point... and the reason Lollapalooza even existed.

Most of the acts on the bill are acts who folks began talking about the previous year, in my mild research... or those with a big album breaking the year of the festival. Most of my acts qualify in that way, or they're "heritage" acts who've been around for a few years.

All in all, not a strong effort.

don't forget nirvana...spring 91 was still a little ways away from teen spirit.

Sure, in late summer, and that's when most people found out about them. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be on the poster at all, though... maybe just that they should be a line lower than Jane's Addiction, who were the hot stuff at that point... and the reason Lollapalooza even existed.

Most of the acts on the bill are acts who folks began talking about the previous year, in my mild research... or those with a big album breaking the year of the festival. Most of my acts qualify in that way, or they're "heritage" acts who've been around for a few years.

All in all, not a strong effort.
    The poster is fucked up in hundreds of ways. The fact that Jane's is somehow that low is the real problem with NIN's placement in that group though. I mean, can you really complain about the other bands they're even with or ahead of?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by shovexitxaside View Post
    COACHELLA LINEUP '91

i'm sorry, i love all these posters, but ridiculous billing costs you votes in my eyes, all of you..

and this one, in particular, 1991??? there is ZERO chance that the pumpkins would have headlined in '91.. ESPECIALLY over Van Halen.. hell, they hadn't even signed to a major label yet.. with the acts you have playing that day, they would have been at the beginning of the last line, and i LOVE the Pumpkins..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

I'm gonna work on a '92 poster here in a bit, just found out about this contest. Some pretty posters so far but besides that, RESEARCH THE BANDS POPULARITY. Some of the billing I've seen is absolutely ridiculous. Keep in mind when certain bands gained popularity. Looks like some people just went, "1990? Nirvana was popular then right? I dunno, I'll make them headline anyways..." Also keep in mind how Coachella bills the lineup, it's not necessarily based off of who's the most popular, it's based on the target audience. Example, look at Corinne Bailey Rae's position on this year's lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    I'm gonna work on a '92 poster here in a bit, just found out about this contest. Some pretty posters so far but besides that, RESEARCH THE BANDS POPULARITY. Some of the billing I've seen is absolutely ridiculous. Keep in mind when certain bands gained popularity. Looks like some people just went, "1990? Nirvana was popular then right? I dunno, I'll make them headline anyways..." Also keep in mind how Coachella bills the lineup, it's not necessarily based off of who's the most popular, it's based on the target audience. Example, look at Corinne Bailey Rae's position on this year's lineup.
    fyi; ill be submitting a '92 poster here soon...
    Originally Posted by bobert
    With a little help from LSD and Tool, I found God at Coachella.......

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Billing can also be based on the expectation of what they bring to the festival. Some of the electronic acts billed highly may not be "popular" in terms of record sales and Grammy awards, so you have to dig deeper. If you really want to put a list together, check out some electronic/jazz/punk websites to see what was popular at the time... and more importantly, what was considered THE BEST.

It's easy for me to run through the best grunge and industrial acts of this year or that... but I'm not so keen on who the prominent blues and country musicians were... and those guys WILL show up on posters, so check into it. It would be fun to win, but the research is fun, too... and what a coincidence... if your research sucks, you (probably) won't win anyhow.

Another optional tip (which I'm gonna do) is to keep in mind the first Coachella wasn't in April...

Yeah I have to say that some of you need some help/advice with billing....remember, the headliner pool isn't vast, and it varies by year...no way in hell would the Pumpkins headline in 1991....1998? sure....1991? No. Get it? Don't fall into the trap thinking that just because a band was huge one year, that 5 years earlier they were just as big...bands start out small and grow big....you think Nirvana would headline in 1989? Get real.

I suggest going to Wikipedia and searching "____ in music". The blank being whatever year you're working on...it'll tell u what bands were on tour, who released albums, who reunited, etc....it's a great starting point. Some of these billings make me scratch my head, just not realistic at all....keep trying though.

Menik, can you change the title of this thread to In Retrospect instead of In Retrospective? It bugs me.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Menik, can you change the title of this thread to In Retrospect instead of In Retrospective? It bugs me.
    Heh. "Grammar Police... arrest this man, he talks in maths..."

Here are a few resources to consider:

Wikipedia: The Year in Music (1991)
    Timeline of Punk Rock
    Grammy Nominees since 1958
    MTV Awards since 1984
    NME Awards since 1995
    Billboard Music Awards since 1990
    Roskilde Festival (Smaller, but dated to 1971)
    Download GIMP Free Image Editor/Creator
    Images of past Coachella posters

Also, it's more fun and challenging to do three days. Don't wuss out!

Here is my contribution for the year 1970. One year after Woodstock originally happened. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by timelessfilms; 02-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSkin View Post
    Makes me want to buy my ticket from Damone
    i lol'd

Better than Woodstock! HAHA...

Pink Floyd over The Who in 1970? I don't know about that. That is a ridiculously loaded lineup, though. I think there should be more "whatever happened to _____?" bands in the mix on every poster, though... since we'll always have one-hit wonders and "The next Beatles/Floyd/Stones" types that don't really pan out.

I just noticed Syd playing. Without Floyd. Awkward!

Run DMC above Van Halen in 1984?? Metallica above the Police? Sorry to say, but the billing on your poster is absolutely awful.

Last edited by industrialwaffle; 01-28-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: The Byrds, and being too young to know better.
    QUALITY!

ok i've spent.. nearly the entire day researching bands, pouring through articles on wikipedia, racking my itunes library and designing this poster. i see some other 1970 posters, so hopefully mine stands out.

It's 1970 - Rock and Roll is dominating FM radio, and music festivals are popping up all over the country but have yet to approach the prolific Coachella Music & Arts Fesitval. The Beatles have agreed to play one final farewell show on the polo fields, capping a musically eclectic and inspiring weekend in the desert. Wish you had been there, man!

Last edited by ewiggy; 01-28-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: edited to move date from bottom to upper right hand corner, oops!

Here's my 1984 line up

Hope y'all like it!

Ah yes. Van Helen.

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    ok i've spent.. nearly the entire day researching bands, pouring through articles on wikipedia, racking my itunes library and designing this poster. i see some other 1970 posters, so hopefully mine stands out.

It's 1970 - Rock and Roll is dominating FM radio, and music festivals are popping up all over the country but have yet to approach the prolific Coachella Music & Arts Fesitval. The Beatles have agreed to play one final farewell show on the polo fields, capping a musically eclectic and inspiring weekend in the desert. Wish you had been there, man!
    I like this 1970 version. Stan Getz, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Serge Gansbourg (he was in mine, also)... I'd put Aretha a little higher, but this looks really great. Nice job!

Lurker

heres mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Barger View Post
    2006?

that Keith Haring poster is 20 years in the future!

1988. Again, tried to keep it as realistic as I could rather than fall into the wishlist trap-which would have been really easy for this year for me.

Also, I wanted to pick a year where I could put Depeche Mode up as a headliner; the festival would have been mere months before the famous Rose Bowl show. Michael Jackson had embarked on his BAD tour, and INXS was one of the biggest "alternative" bands around at the time having just released Kick. Plus, the Damned reunited to do a one-off show in June of that year.

Last edited by captncrzy; 02-03-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths