Page 117 of 120 FirstFirst ... 112113114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 3600

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

  1. #3481
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  2. #3482
    Member TerminallyCHILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by cassett View Post
    oh god you're a writer? what good can come of you sharing any sort of information with anybody?
    Despite all the bullshit, he is very well spoken. I could see him writing.


    And had he not insulted nearly everyone in this board (including myself), I think most of you would probably enjoy reading his work if you didn't know any better.

  3. #3483
    old school shotglass75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I'd say it really ought to fall more to the organizers to prevent these kind of occurrences, but yeah in general I think that being a semi-professional graphic artist and entering a contest 12 or 14 or however many times just because you can is kinda lame. If the board was conducting a writing contest, I wouldn't enter 14 times.
    you are being retarded. it's a contest. may the best person win. he increased his chances of winning by doing what every other person out there could have done if they took the time. anyone could have done what he did if they chose to. If I were C Dub I'd see if he could just get one pass for the next 7 years. fuck the VIP upgrade.

  4. #3484
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    I'll take what I can get.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  5. #3485
    old school BlueDevil50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Congrats CDUB...your posters were amazing.

  6. #3486
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    Congrats CDUB...your posters were amazing.
    Thanks Blue Devil.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  7. #3487
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,477

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    C Dub, I'm just glad you left 1995 alone. I knew that when you and Ivy made your 96's, my 1995 was my fighter.

    Haha I was ready to go off on you had you done 1995. "Fuck off man! Leave me alone!"

  8. #3488
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Granada Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,629

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    There's no use blaming C Dub for one simple, undeniable reason:

    NOBODY thought they would award him six times. Nobody. No matter how good his posters were, every single person in this thread thought the judges would share the wealth. By submitting a bunch of entries, C Dub had fun researching different years, and increased his chance of winning once or twice. As it turns out, almost every aspect we relied on as entrants went sideways, so he won a bunch of times for a bunch of good posters. Lesson learned - hastily created contests on internet message boards sometimes get screwy before it's all over.

    There are other posts that discuss all the issues that surprised people. Folks flaunted the rules, from simple stuff like the font and poster size, to "set it stone" rules like the year being in the right corner. Folks won for pretty terrible designs, atrocious misuse of photoshop, misspelled headliners, headliners that seem incredibly unlikely in that year (due to not existing or barely existing), and finally, one dude won a bunch of times.

    GV threw a cool contest out on a whim, lots of people played and had fun, and a fair number of people won and feel good about it. There will always be disappointed losers. In this case, there is some justified frustration. It doesn't make you a whining baby if you lost to someone who clearly spent no time researching or designing, or someone who didn't bother to follow the rules.

    We'll all get over it. Maybe the next time they do something like this they can keep the voting on the board or something, so clear winners in all of our eyes don't lose due to unknown arbitrary reasons - we'll openly discuss why we voted for what. There are a rash of posters that just seem incredibly dull or horrible, so average they never entered the collective consciousness... we'll never know why they won, but they did.

    One last reason not to blame C Dub - he could have limited his entries to a couple years, but that is no fun whatsoever. You lose the enjoyment of researching all the bands and coming up with a theme that fits the year in question. He had fun with it and was duly rewarded for great work. It's not his fault they rewarded him far more than anyone could have expected.

  9. #3489
    Coachella Junkie fatbastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    12,133

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Congratulations to all the losers. This is all you’re going to get apparently
    Whiskey Sour

    2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

    Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

  10. #3490

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TerminallyCHILL View Post
    Despite all the bullshit, he is very well spoken. I could see him writing.


    And had he not insulted nearly everyone in this board (including myself), I think most of you would probably enjoy reading his work if you didn't know any better.
    ?? if you call cursing like a sailor and throwing insults around like they are nothing "well spoken" then you must live in a trailer park!

    wtf...

  11. #3491
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Granada Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,629

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Monklish has a quick wit and can turn a phrase, he just wastes an inordinate amount of time on fake rivalries with Coachella fans who frankly could care less. I don't think any of Monklish's targets are actively planning their defense from the next Monkicide.

    If he channeled the energy into penning a novel based on his pissing, fedora-wearing alter ego, we'd probably all read it. Hell, maybe he's already doing it, logging all his flame wars for eventually publication in the tell-all "Under the Fedora: The Bright Whites and Cold Nights of Coachella".

  12. #3492
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,175

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    C Dub, I'm just glad you left 1995 alone. I knew that when you and Ivy made your 96's, my 1995 was my fighter.

    Haha I was ready to go off on you had you done 1995. "Fuck off man! Leave me alone!"
    i admit i was mad when randy warned him i was working on a 1996 poster and he made one anyways, but it is a contest. we didn't know how the judging would be done so i can understand wanting to make one for every year if that's something you already do for a living. i know it was a lot more difficult for me to put something like this together since i don't use photoshop, have a job that doesn't use photoshop and go to school, so there was no way i could do a bunch of entries. gotta take advantage of the skills you got i suppose!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  13. #3493

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Monklish has a quick wit and can turn a phrase, he just wastes an inordinate amount of time on fake rivalries with Coachella fans who frankly could care less. I don't think any of Monklish's targets are actively planning their defense from the next Monkicide.

    If he channeled the energy into penning a novel based on his pissing, fedora-wearing alter ego, we'd probably all read it. Hell, maybe he's already doing it, logging all his flame wars for eventually publication in the tell-all "Under the Fedora: The Bright Whites and Cold Nights of Coachella".
    hah thats funny... and im not saying i wouldn't read it but i would not call him "well spoken" from what i've gathered from his trolling... thats absurd. He might be "well spoken" but he has never showed it.

  14. #3494
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Granada Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,629

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Heh. Now I'm glad I had to study for the Bar. I wasted a lot less time losing this contest than I might have otherwise.

    Of course, if I failed that too, February is my "Epic Fail" of 2010. <cue Monklish sarcasm>

  15. #3495
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Granada Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,629

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by cassett View Post
    hah thats funny... and im not saying i wouldn't read it but i would not call him "well spoken" from what i've gathered from his trolling... thats absurd. He might be "well spoken" but he has never showed it.
    Well, if you bounce around the board and read some of the older posts, you'll find he knows a fair amount of stuff about music (or at least researches it prior to posting).

    He has a long history on this board that's impossible to sum up in a few a-hole responses out of thousands.

  16. #3496
    Member TerminallyCHILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by cassett View Post
    ?? if you call cursing like a sailor and throwing insults around like they are nothing "well spoken" then you must live in a trailer park!

    wtf...
    Do sailors live in trailer parks? Do all comedians who insult others live in trailer parks? Keep your half-assed stereotypes to yourself. And for your information, no. I'm a 23 year old college student who lives in an apartment close to campus haha. Although the area is pretty "ghetto."

  17. #3497
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Granada Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,629

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TerminallyCHILL View Post
    I'm a 23 year old college student who lives in an apartment close to campus haha. Although the area is pretty "ghetto."
    Sounds sexy. Tell us more. Mrowr!

    (I come from trailer trash. It's in my blood!)

  18. #3498
    Member beavington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    1,860

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    I think its obvious the boy is pretty good at writing and has a strong vocab, evidenced by the lengthening of words correlating with his feeling threatened

    Maybe they should post peoples reviews
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

    Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

  19. #3499
    Member TerminallyCHILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Sounds sexy. Tell us more. Mrowr!

    (I come from trailer trash. It's in my blood!)
    I didn't say I don't come from trailer trash. I just don't live in a trailer park haha.

  20. #3500
    Lurker Aphexual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Buena Ventura
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Wow. A writer! Ooooohhh!!!
    Whore!
    That was good.

  21. #3501
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    11,959

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    now that they are all done it is way obvious it was a art contest not a lineup contest. So that sucks, otherwise i would not have entered. Too bad it was advertised inaccurately.
    what happened to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    (ok i am really done)
    stfu.

  22. #3502
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    11,959

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by halyem View Post
    i already said, i expected that once CW won, it would put him out of the running for other years in order to spread the wealth, but it didnt go down like that
    my guess is they went based on the year and had no idea who actually created the poster. and based on the fact this was supposed to be a fun little contest, i assume they did not spend days locked in a room judging. maybe they put them up on a wall, put a fish bowl underneath each one and gave all the employees 1 bean for each year, the bowl with the most won. who knows? who cares?

  23. #3503
    Member beavington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    1,860

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    what happened to this:


    stfu.
    It turned into i dont give a fuck steve so you stfu.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

    Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

  24. #3504

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by TerminallyCHILL View Post
    Do sailors live in trailer parks? Do all comedians who insult others live in trailer parks? Keep your half-assed stereotypes to yourself. And for your information, no. I'm a 23 year old college student who lives in an apartment close to campus haha. Although the area is pretty "ghetto."
    sorry wasn't trying to insult you.... was directing it towards monklish.

    And to that other comment, just because monklish has google on his side doesn't mean he is well versed in music. I have based my judgement on a little under 2 years of watching the coachella boards and he doesnt have anything positive or constructive to give this community.. I've always been a lurker and didn't register until this contest. why is everyone on his side all of a sudden? dont get it.

  25. #3505
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    you are being retarded. it's a contest. may the best person win. he increased his chances of winning by doing what every other person out there could have done if they took the time. anyone could have done what he did if they chose to. If I were C Dub I'd see if he could just get one pass for the next 7 years. fuck the VIP upgrade.
    Except that I really doubt they're going to do that. May the best person win and whatever, I just think it's gauche. And it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  26. #3506
    old school zimmy1222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    congrats to the winners... no discredit to cdub, he's posters were proper, but if he won once, what's the use in giving him 5 or whatever more? at any rate, i guess it's cheaper for them to not award as many people.. carry on.

  27. #3507

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Here's an idea: For all those who feel so slighted (and many of you were really screwed) give one more chance (say 24hrs) to do a 1994 and then everyone can use all of their shoulda/woulda/coulda's and get one more go. No entries from winners though, so no C-Dub #7...

    Just don't forget to use Smash Mouth (j/k about that last part but not about the rest).

  28. #3508
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyroad 04 View Post
    Here's an idea: For all those who feel so slighted (and many of you were really screwed) give one more chance (say 24hrs) to do a 1994 and then everyone can use all of their shoulda/woulda/coulda's and get one more go. No entries from winners though, so no C-Dub #7...

    Just don't forget to use Smash Mouth (j/k about that last part but not about the rest).
    I wouldn't do a 94... although I did write out a nice line-up for it. I had thought about it - but seeing as my wheelhouse is more anglo/britpop stuff, 96 suited me just as much if not more. So I abandoned 94 for 96.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  29. #3509
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    congrats to the winners... no discredit to cdub, he's posters were proper, but if he won once, what's the use in giving him 5 or whatever more? at any rate, i guess it's cheaper for them to not award as many people.. carry on.
    I do have friends....
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

  30. #3510
    Coachella Junkie C DUB YA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,271

    Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    my guess is they went based on the year and had no idea who actually created the poster. i assume they did not spend days locked in a room judging. maybe they put them up on a wall, put a fish bowl underneath each one and gave all the employees 1 bean for each year, the bowl with the most won. who knows?
    You're probably right.
    The Glitter Freeze

    Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Similar Threads

  1. Make a Coachella Lineup Poster In Retrospect Game
    By Queenie Cupcakes in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
  2. Name That Band Competition
    By Alchemy in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
  3. Karaoke competition at coachella '09
    By WastedTime in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
  4. The Stefinitely Maybe Retrospective Thread
    By Stefinitely Maybe in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 07:56 AM
  5. Gnarls Barkley would make the lineup Complete
    By thebigbadbear in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •