Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Default Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

Question: can festivals include reunions that theoretically could have happened? For example, if I'm doing a poster for 1975, could I use a band that was together from 1967-1973 and then reunited in 1980? Or do the reunions have to fall on the year of the festival?

Quote Originally Posted by Amneeziac View Post
    Question: can festivals include reunions that theoretically could have happened? For example, if I'm doing a poster for 1975, could I use a band that was together from 1967-1973 and then reunited in 1980? Or do the reunions have to fall on the year of the festival?
    If I remember the rules from the other thread correctly, bands that are playing must still be together in that year and reunions must coincide with (or at least close to) real reunion tours

I would think only if the band reunited in that said year....that's how I did it in the other thread, and I think that rule should carry over here, or else people will just make up reunions for whatever years they want.

In retrospect, wouldn't Coachella possibly make a reunion happen?

I also think its very rude menikmati has to play all over again if he wants to win. He already won this competition as far as I'm concerned, and now a bunch of people are just going to steal his ideas. I call for a stop to this competition until the person who conceived the idea (me) and the person who made it succeed (menikmati) are given due accolades that are more than just a pat on the back and recognition by name.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Basically, Queenie wants free tickets and doesn't care about Erik.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie Cupcakes View Post
    I also think its very rude menikmati has to play all over again if he wants to win. He already won this competition as far as I'm concerned, and now a bunch of people are just going to steal his ideas. I call for a stop to this competition until the person who conceived the idea (me) and the person who made it succeed (menikmati) are given due accolades that are more than just a pat on the back and recognition by name.
    Queenie, he already won. He's the first winner. Read the first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    i think i would rather suck AIDZ out of gary colemans nutt.

I'm throwing myself into 1972 as we speak.

Not because I was born in 1972. That would make me too old. Grumble.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveChemicalPunk View Post
    Queenie, he already won. He's the first winner. Read the first post.
    That's great for him. Who's idea was this in the first place, though? And who helped put together a few of the posters Menik made in the first place? Oh that's right. And I get nothin?

That's great for him. Who's idea was this in the first place, though? And who helped put together a few of the posters Menik made in the first place? Oh that's right. And I get nothin?
    Upcoming Shows:
    ???

6x Coachella Attendee (2007 - 2011, 2014a)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by littleRoom View Post
    Here ya go, tear it to pieces
    I actually thought you did, as Kanye would say, a good ass job.

Quote Originally Posted by Amneeziac View Post
    as long as the band existed by the year you are doing. (broken up or not). born, existed, not died
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by phenomenator View Post
    If I remember the rules from the other thread correctly,
    The other thread is not this thread so lets not tell people to follow other rules ok? thanks.

I want this contest to be shut down. If you want to have a contest that doesn't steal my idea, go ahead but I demand this be put to a stop because I am jealous that i dont have photo shop skills and giving me credit for this is not good enough.

He only won one year, 1977, so the other posters are irrelevant. If you prefer I take your name off this thread you are so upset about, I can do that. Let me know DIdnt mean to upset you queenie. thought giving you props would be a nice thing to do. thought you would be happy erik won. guess i thought you were an adult.

Lurker

Get the fuck out, Señor Cupcakes.

I'm sorry PsychicFriend I'm having a really bad day and this just was the straw that broke the camel's back. My emotions are a bit high right now which is why I'm sounding like really bitchy. I'm really happy you let Erik won because he made so many great posters! I'm glad that you thought of this idea as good enough to be an actual contest. I'm sorry, again.

Erik is a moderator. It's a narrow field. Besides, he's the best chef on the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

He's a very nice guy. I had no idea there were other moderators on here outside of psychic friend. Good to know!

Erik's mod status had nothing to do with liking the 1977 poster. but thanks for trying to find something convoluted.

Queenie came up with the idea, so congrats to her, it was a really cool idea, and I'm glad (and others should be too) that GV turned it into a contest for everyone to participate in. They have no reason to do this, but they are a cool company, ran by very cool people, and this is what separates them from those other guys. I hope lots of people make lineups/posters to be entered....I was the only one doing it in the other thread, but I hope more people will get out and learn photoshop if they have to and enter into this. That goes for Queenie and anyone else...go make a lineup and throw it on a poster, I look forward to the results.

God, cupcakes is a major major twat.

I've already been working on this for hours. I'm trying to make mine as realistic as possible and trying to avoid it looking like a big massive wishlist. I will be prepared to defend/discuss all of my decisions.

I came to win, fuckers.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 01-27-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I was the only one doing it in the other thread, but I hope more people will get out and learn photoshop if they have to and enter into this. That goes for Queenie and anyone else...go make a lineup and throw it on a poster, I look forward to the results.
    I would make a poster but I'll be honest: My computer is on its last legs and I can't put together a poster that'll even be presentable. Thats why I had you put them together for me. Good luck everyone and have fun!

erik can you clarify queenies involvement in the 1977 poster for everyone here ?

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    erik can you clarify queenies involvement in the 1977 poster for everyone here ?
    The 1977 poster was all my doing, upon the inspiration of wanting to put a bunch of young punk bands on the bill. All the posters...I came up with the background design, made it in photoshop, and then came up with a 3 day lineup as well and put it all together....this goes for all my posters (77, 81, 89, 92, 93, 94, 97, 98, 00). I did all the legwork on them....HOURS of work on each one, sometimes days. I researched bands on wikipedia, listened to youtube clips, and researched tours of each said year. I'm only saying this so it's clear who's ideas were put in place on all those posters that I made, so people don't think Queenie is being screwed by not winning for 77 as well, or why I'm not entering my other posters.

That said, I do give her credit on some of the 90's lineups...she PM'd me her ideas and I used some to build my posters around. But they were my posters, which is why they aren't being entered. So she or anyone else is welcome to tackle any of those other years I already made and make their own poster based off their lineup.

Exclamation Re: Make a Coachella Lineup In Retrospective - COMPETITION!

PF, this is completely legit?
    forgive me for being a bit skeptical, just seems like an odd competition to be handing out free tickets..
    If it is legit, I thank you for the opportunity and you will see my entry soon.
    Originally Posted by bobert
    With a little help from LSD and Tool, I found God at Coachella.......

its legit. already tweeted about it from @coachella and it will be mentioned in the goldenvoice newsletter tomorrow. not sure what is so odd about it. coachella is a music and arts festival. lets see some creativity.

Okay to everyone PMing me about helping them with their poster designs, first off lemme say that I appreciate you asking, and am happy that you guys like my designs and work well enough to put your faith in me for photoshopping your stuff, I really do appreciate that, so thank you....but to answer you about whether I can make your poster, the answer is no. And I'm not saying no because I don't want to (I love designing shit in photoshop, especially Coachella posters), I'm saying no because it wouldn't be fair or right to do that in this sort of contest. The rules are for someone to create their own retro coachella poster and submit it in hopes of winning. If you're good at graphics art, and you like Coachella, then this contest is for you....I can't help people who are stuck with no design skills, I'm sorry, just not in this contest.

That said, I will give a few tips to those feeling stuck (obviously you can try asking someone else I guess, but I'm assuming you want to tackle this project on your own). First tip, is just be creative....if you have photoshop, then deviant-art is a great place to get custom photoshop brushes (like clouds, lightning, rainbows, balloons, etc...).

I know some people might feel stuck if they can't find someone to help and don't know photoshop on their own, but Coachella passes are on the line, so maybe it's time you get a copy of some program and take an hour or two to learn some basics...at least enough to make a 600x800 poster with band names on it.

As for the font.....it will really look better if you use the actual font Coachella uses....perhaps I might help some people out who are looking for it. Plus, use the resources that already in this thread.....the header image, the landscape image, etc.

For the lineup, I personally would avoid the "wish list" trap, and go for making a realistic Coachella lineup...with small bands that maybe no one had heard of at the time...go wiki, go google, go youtube bands for each said year...that's what I did and I found tons. There are even bands on my lineup who I had never heard of, or at least never listen to, or even hate. So try to make a lineup as diverse as possible...I think that will catch a lot of attention...remember, lineup is pretty much half this contest.

The other half, the design and look....just be creative...maybe you can make a "funny" one, or a "mock" one....I dunno, go wild. Gradients look nice in the sky....I usually try to pick a theme for each of the years I did...sometimes it would be sunset, or a dreary storm, the sun shining through, or sometimes I would try to make the backgrounds look like a water painting or paint blots (by using the photoshop filters....they are there, so use them!).

Any other tips you want? If you have photoshop question, just ask. I think that's it.

^hell yes.

Its on guys. '85 here we go
    Rhythm is a dancer.