Thread: Coachella 2010: Say Goodbye...

Default Coachella 2010: Say Goodbye...

..To Single Day Tickets.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...ontent=Twitter

Interested in what Jay-Z and only Jay-Z will bring to the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival? Better make a weekend of it. This year, Coachella promoters are doing away with single-day tickets and offering only a $269 three-day ticket, a move, Goldenvoice leader and festival architect Paul Tollett said, designed to help enhance the experience for three-day pass buyers.

In cutting the single-day pass -- it is not available now, and there is no intention to make it available closer to the fest or even at the Coachella gate -- Tollett stressed other changes to this year's three-day bonanza of music in the desert. Camping prices have decreased, down from $55 per person to $57 per slot, regardless of the number of campers you can "cram into the spot," according to the festival website, and Coachella has added in-and-out privileges.

"I understand that every time you make a change it’s great for some people, and it’s not great for others," Tollett said. "The other festivals around the world that have camping, you can buy only the pass. You don’t buy the single day -- Bonnaroo, Glastonbury, any of the super great ones."

But this decision wasn't based on me-too-syndrome.

Tollett noted that the vast majority of Coachella attendees spring for the three-day pass. Since Coachella expanded to three days in 2007, Tollett said that more than 80% of concert-goers have bought multi-day passes. Cutting out the single-day, $99 ticket may result in alienating a number of fest-goers -- a financially sizable 20% of Coachella fans.

But Coachella, Tollett said, is a three-day event, and his goal is improving the experience for those willing to spring for the mutli-day ticket. Limited hotel rooms in the area, Tollett said, factored into his decision, as well as improving the daily traffic around the festival.

"The thing is," Tollett said, "there’s a lack of hotels in the Coachella Valley, and most have a three-day minimum. Many times what happens is people get a hotel for the three days, and only go to Coachella for one or two of the days. They hit Friday and Saturday, and go home or rest at the hotel on Sunday. That’s no problem, but the problem with that is that there are people who want that hotel and are going for three days. The single- and two-day people are clogging up the hotels and making it so people who want to go for three days can’t find a hotel."

The move has its detractors. The Coachella message boards are filled with angry fans, including those visiting from out of town for only a day, or those who don't want to spend the $269-plus service fees for the full ticket. An email to "info@coachella.com" generates an immediate auto-response, with the note that only three-day tickets will be available for 2010.

For cost-conscious fans, Tollett emphasizes that Goldenvoice is once again offering layaway tickets, hopefully easing the financial strain.

"We’re really trying to make it great for the fan," Tollett said. "We understand it will affect some people who want to go for one day, but we have to protect the three-day people. It was a complex decision. We put some thought into it, and we’re trying our best to make it a good experience."

Those who purchase tickets on the day-of, Tollett said, will likely find pro-rated rather than single-day tickets available.

-- Todd Martens
    I hadn't noticed the Messageboard being clogged with angry fans... Angry lurkers... But not so much angry fans. Maybe that's just me?
    Last edited by PrettyRagdoll; 01-27-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: adding the link

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Default Re: Coachella 2010: Say Goodbye...

who woulda guessed, i was right about the pro-rated ticket, hmm...

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

probably hard to find since it's such a long thread, but dani just posted that too in the thread regarding single tickets here http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=35476&page=11.

once you read that thread, you'll find the angry lurkers lol. they are in full force!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

lamesauce, guess I'm going all 3 days, which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    you'll find the angry lurkers lol. they are in full force!

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I think thats what GV is trying to do. I like this new change but i feel Tollet has a bigger reason for making this change vs. protecing the 3 day-passers. People like Disco were willing to go just 1 day. But now without the choice he'll dish out the cash for the 3-day. Its a business, if you build it, take away single day, they will come....
    “When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have.”--Edgar Watson Howe

old school

1. if you're only going to one day of Coachella, you fail.

2. you can still get single day tickets if you try hard enough

3. good. last thing we need on friday is hordes of jay-z fans acting all ragey or tooly..
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    3. good. last thing we need on friday is hordes of jay-z fans acting all ragey or tooly..
    Like Barack Obama...

Yes, you're a fuckin idiot.

1. if you're only going to one day of Coachella, you fail.

I'm not getting this. I didn't think Jay-Z had a "crowd" like Rage and Tool. When I saw Jay-Z it was 80% white people... and they all seemed fine. Nothing douchey about them.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

im glad the single day passes are gone so ONLY the diehards will be in attendance and NOT any single act fans cramming the scene. coachella will run free with REAL fans this year. thanks Paul

Pussy ***...scared of a possible Jay-Z pit?!?!?

I loled. Doesn't affect me or anyone I'm going with so meh.

I am going all 3, but just curious how this is possible. The only single day tickets I have heard are those from Kroq and that is a very small number of tickets. Is there another way to get single day tickets?

Those who purchase tickets on the day-of, Tollett said, will likely find pro-rated rather than single-day tickets available.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

The explanation makes sense now that I think about it, from traffic to hotels...
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Suffacated View Post

Pro-Rated means that if you show up at the gate Friday you will have to buy a 3 day pass to get in, show up on Saturday it will be a 2 day pass and then Sunday is pretty much the only day you can buy a single day ticket.

I like the change, i think it's one of the things that is making the in-n-outs possible so i think it's a great thing. I would imagine the Campgrounds being crowded by single day ticket holders was another factor, never camped so i wouldn't really know, but i imagine a decent amount of people would go camp all weekend but only attend one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I'm not getting this. I didn't think Jay-Z had a "crowd" like Rage and Tool. When I saw Jay-Z it was 80% white people... and they all seemed fine. Nothing douchey about them.
    Even Prince fans were kind of a drag. That place was pretty empty on Saturday until after dark. They didn't cause "problems" , but every person there to see one band is a person not enjoying the festival. I wasn't up close for Portishead, but I bet there were a lot of people in the middle that weren't getting it.

It's worse when it's a style of music that doesn't necessarily fit in with the festival itself. Of the three headliners, Jay-Z fans would be the most likely to be a pain-in-the-ass. I'm loving the new plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    i imagine a decent amount of people would go camp all weekend but only attend one day.
    I can't imagine that at all. At least, not for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    I can't imagine that at all. At least, not for myself.
    Yeah, doesn't make any kind of sense to me, but i have heard of people camping and not even attending the festival. Don't know if that's true, but just have heard of people doing it.

I never said Hello to single day tickets.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

I think this is great. It eliminates the people who would come just for 1 headliner (aka the dreaded Casual Music Fan). It means GV is confident enough in the weekend as a complete package, and believes it will sell out.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    Yeah, doesn't make any kind of sense to me, but i have heard of people camping and not even attending the festival. Don't know if that's true, but just have heard of people doing it.
    probably doing it and trying to whip up a story to sneak in each day...