Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple iPad

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Apple iPad

If I were in the market for a Kindle I'd have done my research and realized that a device with an LCD screen was inferior for my purposes.

I don't have problems reading for long periods of time on an LCD screen... but maybe i'm in the minority there. the battery life provided by e-ink is great, but it's a really restrictive medium.

I also might be in the minority by saying that I hate netbooks. Everything about the experience is clunky and reactionary. So while the iPad isn't winning my vote, at least I know it'll stimulate some development in the tablet PC arena.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    If I were in the market for a Kindle I'd have done my research and realized that a device with an LCD screen was inferior for my purposes.
    If this is the sort of complaint that was polluting the interwebs today, I wouldn't be nearly as irritated with them.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I dig it but the name is lame, I would wait till the next one comes out, I would like to see how it pushes the envelope of music making and what not...

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    If this is the sort of complaint that was polluting the interwebs today, I wouldn't be nearly as irritated with them.
    Well, people have a point. LCDs can be really hard on the eyes... But there are also dramatic differences between different kinds of LCDs. With the IPS display, I'm gonna bet the issues won't be nearly as prevalent with this device.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_guerrero View Post
    I dig it but the name is lame, I would wait till the next one comes out, I would like to see how it pushes the envelope of music making and what not...
    It has a 1Ghz processor. It's not going to be pushing any envelopes.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    It has a 1Ghz processor. It's not going to be pushing any envelopes.
    C'mon. You aren't that stupid. I guess I should stick with that P4 3.6ghz and ditch the 1.8ghz i7 I was thinking about.

Coachella Junkie

And I'm done. I don't really care about this device but it's pretty annoying to see something this lackluster promoted so heavily at this absurd price point.

Call me old fashioned, but I still like reading a book that involves paper and stuff.

i don't really understand where the price point complaints are coming from. how much are other true multitouch devices with HD resolution... i can't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Well, people have a point. LCDs can be really hard on the eyes... But there are also dramatic differences between different kinds of LCDs. With the IPS display, I'm gonna bet the issues won't be nearly as prevalent with this device.
    No you missed my point. The complaints aren't LCD vs eInk (I would be fine with that debate, regardless of the position); the complaints are that it doens't have all of the features of an iphone or a macbook or a space ship. That's the shit that is driving me bonkers.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

does the iPad have a hole you can stick your dick into?

Coachella Junkie

The complaints are that people look at what is available, see no point in owning it, and wonder why x or y is not included. That's an indication that they aren't in the market for it. If the market is really sub netbook with no multitasking capabilities, that's when I start wondering about the $500 for no 3G and 16G sorage. I don't see what's confusing about that reaction or my position.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I still like reading a book that involves paper and stuff.
    That is old fashioned... but in the most positive way. Like having hot chocolate on a cold Sunday morning while reading the funnies.
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche

Know what would have made this work? If it actually somehow bridged the gap between OS X and the iPod OS.

York, while I kind of get your point, here's the problem--they're marketing this as a step between the iPod and a Macbook. Except that it's not. It's a big iPhone with less features in a lot of ways.

It's a toy, effectively. It's not actually suitable for any kind of on-the-go professional or anyone that actually, you know, has shit to do. You're right that it's basically Apple's response to a Kindle, but that's fucking lame. They had an opportunity here to actually produce a useful midrange computing solution. Literally the only features this thing would really need to actually be seriously useful is the capability to handle both an OS X platform as well as iPhone apps simultaneously. And a camera.

They would have sold millions and millions if they'd done that. Instead they basically released yet another version of the iPod touch with a bigger screen. Fuck that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

i agree. i was really hoping for a version of os x optimized for touch displays... or even iphone 4.0 that had been expanded for the device. however, some of the apps still look like they are really badass.

maybe we'll see some changes before launch, or with the usual june extravaganza...

Know what would have made this work? If it actually somehow bridged the gap between OS X and the iPod OS.

York, while I kind of get your point, here's the problem--they're marketing this as a step between the iPod and a Macbook. Except that it's not. It's a big iPhone with less features in a lot of ways.

It's a toy, effectively. It's not actually suitable for any kind of on-the-go professional or anyone that actually, you know, has shit to do. You're right that it's basically Apple's response to a Kindle, but that's fucking lame. They had an opportunity here to actually produce a useful midrange computing solution. Literally the only features this thing would really need to actually be seriously useful is the capability to handle both an OS X platform as well as iPhone apps simultaneously. And a camera.

They would have sold millions and millions if they'd done that. Instead they basically released yet another version of the iPod touch with a bigger screen. Fuck that.
    I can get on board with this position, except this is not the argument many are making.

Also, the camera is ridiculous. Anybody that buys this will have a phone in their pocket that has a camera. Use it. Are really going to hold this thing up to take pictures? It's the size of a dinner plate, fer crissakes. And I bet you have a computer at home for video chat.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Fuck that.
    I agree on this .
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

old school

They will still sell millions.

it would be a lot better looking if they ditched the bezel. software should be smart enough to know that the thumb is just holding the device anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can get on board with this position, except this is not the argument many are making.

Also, the camera is ridiculous. Anybody that buys this will have a phone in their pocket that has a camera. Use it. Are really going to hold this thing up to take pictures? It's the size of a dinner plate, fer crissakes. And I bet you have a computer at home for video chat.
    That's so not the point. Apple is a company who prides itself on being media and entertainment friendly. This device is in no way anything useful for serious computing needs, so at the very least it should have all the basic fucking functionality of the iPhone which it is just a larger version of. To make a bigger version of a device they already produce and cut out one of its most important functionalities is retarded. If they had a camera on the front of the fucking thing it would make for easy video blogging with a gigantic screen right there to show you what you look like.

Granted I don't really give a shit about it, but it's a function that's practically essential now and will only become more so. All they needed was to put a camera right above the screen and another one on the back.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    They will still sell millions.
    Honestly, I really don't think you're going to see this thing take off the way you do. It will be adopted by gadget geeks, that's it. Apple TV.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

i am absolutely befuddled by the lack of a camera. that is the one thing that is completely stupid. i can understand some of the other choices... but that... i have no clue.

old school

That's so not the point. Apple is a company who prides itself on being media and entertainment friendly. This device is in no way anything useful for serious computing needs, so at the very least it should have all the basic fucking functionality of the iPhone which it is just a larger version of. To make a bigger version of a device they already produce and cut out one of its most important functionalities is retarded. If they had a camera on the front of the fucking thing it would make for easy video blogging with a gigantic screen right there to show you what you look like.

Granted I don't really give a shit about it, but it's a function that's practically essential now and will only become more so. All they needed was to put a camera right above the screen and another one on the back.
    2nd gen. jesus christ. its marketing strategy.

The 2nd gen iphone didnt come with video yet had the capability to do it. Apple isnt giving you shit for free.

I can definitely agree with Monklish...and york, while i do agree with you on camera for taking pics, having a tablet that can do video chat on the go anywhere would be very useful for more than the professional and would sell like hotcakes. i think apple had the chance here to not have to put video chat onto a smartphone but to be able to define what a table should have just like they did for mp3 players.

re: video in iphones... the first iPhone was capable of it... but it fucking sucked at it. there is a completely different camera in the iphone 3g.

To put this in annoying tech marketing terms, what's the killer app? I really hate saying that term, but it's a pretty accurate idea--this needs to do one thing unique that has an actual usefulness and be good at it in order to be a successful device. So what is it? Being a fucking Kindle? Please.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

old school

Honestly, I really don't think you're going to see this thing take off the way you do. It will be adopted by gadget geeks, that's it. Apple TV.
    PEOPLE ARE STUPID. They will buy it. The iphone changed the game, if its remotely close to it with apps that are 10x better people will eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    2nd gen. jesus christ. its marketing strategy.

The 2nd gen iphone didnt come with video yet had the capability to do it. Apple isnt giving you shit for free.
    This is the same shit that people complain about Microsoft for. Do it right the first time, don't fucking tell me that you intentionally held back a basic functionality of any mobile device that costs more than 100 dollars because you wanted to have something to roll out in the 2nd gen. Know what's going to be different by the time this gets to its second generation? Everything. They were building cameras into pretty much every mobile apple computing device half a decade ago.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.