Thread: Taking Coachella

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Taking Coachella

http://www.newuniversity.org/2010/01...ing-coachella/

Taking Coachella
    By Rebecca Aranda on Jan. 25, 2010
    In roughly 80 days, thousands of young people will make an exodus to the desert town of Indio, filling the dusty, flat landscape with tents and blankets. Their appearance will seem sudden, their visit brief, but many of them have planned for months (even years) to get to this spot. To the uninformed observer, this gathering on the weekend of Apr. 17, 2010 may seem perplexing; just as a similar one must have seemed on the weekend of Aug. 17, 1969 in the small farm-town of Bethel, New York.

The latter is Woodstock ‘69, of course,the most infamous of all music festivals, providing the spirit and inspiration for the former event: Coachella ‘10.

Although there have been subversive music festivals for decades, this special kind of event has seen a renewed fervor in recent years. With every new announcement of a line-up, conversations flare amongst young folk (and hip older folk): who’s the cream of the crop? Who should have been cut from the list? Who’s great live, and which acts are only “studio bands”? What about that stage presence, man? The past few years have seen a surprisingly steady interest in music festivals, from the big daddies like Coachella and SXSW to energetic new fests like FYF and the Pitchfork Music Festival.

Why has the “alternative” scene vacillated at all, though? One would think that there would always be a strong underground culture, the yin to mainstream music’s yang, but indie music festivals have not always been a huge draw. Every few years, the core audience falls apart, unsatisfied with the offerings of the biggest music festivals and most trumpeted indie releases. Sometimes the best line-ups that can be mustered simply cannot cut the mustard. (Ed. note — I apologize.)

Take, for instance, the gradual decline of Lollapalooza. Started in 1993 as a farewell concert for the lead singer of Jane’s Addiction, Lollapalooza turned into a bastion of Generation X’s alt-rock scene. The Simpsons captured the mood beautifully in “Homerpalooza”: bored 20-somethings shuffling back and forth in the mud, burdened with torn jeans and world-weary cynicism.

It was that same cynicism that dissembled the festival from the inside. The “alternative” genre became both sprawling and predictable; it branched out from bands like Nirvana into bland copy-cats like Bush and Soundgarden. Grunge kids grew up and grew out of Lollapalooza, which, with its crass commercialization, became just as much a parody of itself as the version presented by The Simpsons.

Lollapalooza was mercifully killed in 1998, and its revivals since 2003 have been only so-so. 2009 featured Ben Harper, Tool and Ke$ha – and although those are the most mediocre of a solid list, one can’t help but go, “…really?”

Coachella 2010’s line-up, only recently announced, has been met with the same degree of indifference. Deservedly so: the headliners (and a good deal of the supporting acts) make up an undistinguishable paste of average indie rock. This isn’t because the indie scene is floundering like the alt-rock scene was in the late ‘90s. If anything, music on the fringe of 2010 is more fresh and exciting than ever. Acoustic strumming melds with electronic beats; blues crooning peeks out from walls of distortion; mandolin plucking intertwines with afro-beat horns.

Thankfully, a lot of the smaller acts for this year’s Coachella reflect that mélange. There are plenty of bands that infuse the indie-rock model with weird outside influences, like Grizzly Bear, Passion Pit, and King Khan and The Shrines. There’s a small dose of one-man orchestral outfits, like Owen Pallet and Yann Tiersen. We get more than our fair share of ethereal indie dreamgirls, like Little Dragon, Corinne Bailey Rae, and Fever Ray.

Older (“vintage”) acts return to the stage as well, which is the main selling point for Coachella this time around. Indie legends like Pavement, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sunny Day Real Estate and Spoon will all be playing live for the first time in years. The flashback machine goes back even further than that: the line-up also boasts appearances of soul heroes Gil Scott-Heron and Sly and the Family Stone alongside ‘80s weirdoes Grace Jones and Gary Numan.

Even though Coachella has managed an impressive, if uneven, line-up this year, the renewed enthusiasm for music festivals in general may be contributing to the line-up’s lackluster response. After all, when you have a wide selection of festivals from which you could choose, why would you limit yourself to this $300 test of endurance? (Another reason for reticence: Coachella has just removed the option to purchase one-day tickets, meaning that you have to brave it the whole weekend or not at all.)

If the indie scene is wide and varying at the moment, the festival scene certainly offers plenty of its own variety. South by Southwest (SXSW), for example, throws independent film premieres and discussion panels into its mix of bands. Instead of being concentrated in one stretch of land, SXSW events spread across Austin, TX for one overflowing weekend in March.

Other festivals that follow that “everything happening everywhere!” spirit include the Noise Pop Music Festival in San Francisco, Pygmalion Music Festival in Illinois, and the UK’s All Tomorrow’s Parties. That last one is particularly notable because they ask different pop culture figures to “curate” each festival weekend; if you visit England this May, you could see programs put together by Pavement and Matt Groening (who is, surprisingly, still quite hip).

The general attitude of angst and distrust from 15 years ago has faded into a much more quirky and friendly atmosphere in this decade’s alternative scene. This is best evidenced by Tennessee’s Bonnaroo Festival, the center of which (“Centeroo”) provides the foundation for This Tent, That Tent, and The Other Tent. Also, What Stage and Which Stage. How delightful! The fun is extended with a comedy tent, workshops, arts and crafts, and other sorts of summer-camp-for-adults activities.

Even if the current theme of whimsy can get too precious, we can thank our lucky stars (maybe even cute cardboard and glitter stars made by Sufjan Stevens and Michel Gondry on a playdate!) that we’re not stuck in the alt-rock rut of the ‘90s. After all, the cynicism that gave birth to Sonic Youth and Nine Inch Nails became a sort of ouroboros, destroying the very acts it created.

No matter how dissatisfied we are with bland indie rock, at least we’re not still saddled with the crapulence that Woodstock ’94 and ’99 offered. Like a one-two punch, these disastrous revivals nearly killed the music festival.

Where Woodstock ’94 was just goofy – the dude from Blind Melon wore his girlfriend’s dress while tripping on acid; Aphex Twin was kicked off the stage mid-song for forging their own signatures – Woodstock ’99 was a violent mess. Starting with mud-flinging, the crowd got more and more restless, eventually lighting bonfires, ripping apart fences, and breaking into the ATM machines. The festival ended in riots and more than a few rapes, while the apathetic headliners Limp Bizkit and Red Hot Chili Peppers played on.

“It was dangerous to be around,” said Kurt Loder, an MTV VJ who was hosting the live feed of Woodstock ‘99. “The whole scene was scary. There were just waves of hatred bouncing around the place…there was a palpable mood of anger.” The bands raged against the machine, and the vendors sold the attendees the pieces of the machine: vastly overpriced water and fast food.

Although today’s music festivals are still overstuffed with vendors and product placement, we’re no longer caught in the awkward position of having to feign apathy, or even angst. Cynicism, as Conan O’Brien said in his last address to his audience of “The Tonight Show,” “doesn’t lead anywhere.”

So yes, Coachella tickets are ridiculously overpriced. And yes, it’s ridiculous to camp out in the alternately very-hot-and-very-cold desert; and it’s extra ridiculous when you have to resort to onsite dining options. But what are you gonna do? Coachella is an expensive experience, but an undoubtedly unforgettable one, a sort of coming-of-age ritual for the wide-eyed indie kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Default Re: Taking Coachella

I don't know how to begin to describe the errors in this article.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

"Take the hill!" "Which one?" "That hill sized lady"

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    I don't know how to begin to describe the errors in this article.
    Thank you. So bad I had to post it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    The Wizard didnt resist the police, the police resisted The Wizard

Rebecca Aranda,
    as predicted by nostradamus

To what purpose does an article like this serve? It honestly reads like a high school student doing their worst Dan Rather impression.
    "Choke on that Causality!"

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't give a shit if the Killers are playing; I'll watch something else-even if it's watching the poor churro man get trampled by stoners.

old school

Coachella seems to me to be one of, if not the least commercialized and corporate of the major music festivals in the US, besides Heineken and AT&T their really isn't much advertising at coachella. Also, considering everything that goes into making Coachella the experience that it is 300 dollars is a fair price to pay for 3 days of amazing music. That article was right about a few things, bringing up Woodstock 99, but it failed to mention that after Woodstock 99, Coachella might have been what saved the music festival in America by doing what woodstock couldn't. Coachella does it right.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

What a crap article. The author did no research at all. First Lollapalooza began in 1991 not 1993 and the moron called Soundgarden a copycat version of Nirvana. Soundarden released their first album before Nirvana did. Bullshit article.

Coachella 2010’s line-up, only recently announced, has been met with the same degree of indifference. Deservedly so: the headliners (and a good deal of the supporting acts) make up an undistinguishable paste of average indie rock. This isn’t because the indie scene is floundering like the alt-rock scene was in the late ‘90s. If anything, music on the fringe of 2010 is more fresh and exciting than ever. Acoustic strumming melds with electronic beats; blues crooning peeks out from walls of distortion; mandolin plucking intertwines with afro-beat horns.
    This is where I stopped reading. Every year the same article gets written. The young token 'hip' journalist writes and waxes poetic how Coachella and the 'indie scene' has drifted into irrelevance

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

I am still traveling from Tampa and I'm camping and I hope I meet this woman and slip her a ruffie and slide my cock in her throat

Coachella 2010’s line-up, only recently announced, has been met with the same degree of indifference.
    Where? This is the most positive reaction I've seen since 2004. Well, on the board, at least.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Think the author will be at the fest lol?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Thank you. So bad I had to post it.
    Almost everything she says is either outright wrong, misleading or uninformed.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

I want to repost with all the errors highlighted, but i have work to do and it would take hours.

The comments on the actual article are as agro as we are.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 01-26-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

i'm an editor for the newspaper at my school and i would never have let this piece of garbage be printed

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

coachella tickets: expensive, yes. overpriced? hell no. fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

how does aphex twin, 1 person, forge "their own signatures"?

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

I wonder what happened to that Lollapalooza....
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

urban outfitters now carries catcher in the rye