Thread: Car Camping - need a car for each spot?

Default Car Camping - need a car for each spot?

You don't need a car for every car / tent spot you want do you? With a large group we'd like to get 2 spots to have a little more room but we're traveling in 1 car.

Default Re: Car Camping - need a car for each spot?

hmm good question. Id assume you'd be able to do that to compensate for the large amount of people that could fit in one car (van, large suv, etc.) so im sure if you bought two spots you wouldnt have a problem

watch at night, you will hear everyone use their PANIC button to find their car after the concert. have fun sleeping
    ]
    sitting through a Jack Johnson headliner with special guests counting crows, ben harper, and dave matthews with a midget sitting on my lap ....a retarded midget with drool driping down my leg as he claps to the curious george song as i hold his lolly pop, while MIA's dj blasts horn noises in my right ear while staring at a 3rd addition of the tesla coils while the group of guys with g strings fart in my left ear > Kanye West

what if you don't want to camp your car next to your spot at all? Is there another spot we can park in without breaking the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by alleysin View Post
    what if you don't want to camp your car next to your spot at all? Is there another spot we can park in without breaking the rules?
    According to what I've read in the FAQ, the simple answer is no. Every car that stays over night must be in a car camping spot.

I'd actually like to know the answer to the OP as well. It's making me think hard about carpooling- I can't fit my car and 4 people/tents into the space they give us.

Here is the FAQ:

If you plan on leaving your car overnight at the venue, you must purchase a Car Camping pass. Each car camping pass automatically comes as a 10x30 space.

Thanks!

Every car that stays over night must be in a car camping spot.

...thats the part that gets me ya know? I enjoyed spending my day near my car in the parking lot with just my friends during the day and I'd like to have that option. And besides, I am staying with 7 people all coming in the same van and thats what we all want. What if we want the option to go somewhere?

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I thought we had a space for our car + 10x30 but it's just 10x30. I'm a just get an extra space if I camp. Still cheaper than last year
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Well I sent an email to info@coachella.com and here is the response (original question included as well).

Me:

"I tried finding an answer to this question on your FAQ and message board but was unable to find a definitive answer. A group of us plan on driving in one car and staying in a larger tent. The combined size of the tent and the car will take up all the space in a 10x30 camping spot so we'd like another one to have some room to be comfortable. Do we need to have a car for every 10x30 Car / Tent Ticket we purchase? We'd like to take 2 spots right next to eachother in the car camping area but only have 1 car."

Response:

"yes, this year is a car per spot. "

So my friends and I will need to get 2 cars instead of just one if we want two spots, essentially?
    On a rock floating through space.

Quote Originally Posted by foreman. View Post
    So my friends and I will need to get 2 cars instead of just one if we want two spots, essentially?
    That's how I'm reading it. Sucks.

If you and your friends want to camp together, you have two options for it to work.

One car: The car must be in a car camping spot. You have the option of leaving your car there and camping all together in the non-car camping area. If you have more than 3 people, this option is still cheaper than previous years. This may get tricky regarding moving all your stuff around, but that's how this year is gonna work.

Two cars: Simply arrive together and you will camp together. Depending where you're driving from, this may be the easier option. You'll also get to camp next to your cars and not have to move all your stuff around.

You cannot have two car spots with one car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I walked straight in with a mixed drink in a 20oz Dixie cup in one hand, and an unopened beer in the other. I fully intended to toss them in the box, but CSC was waving and hurrying me through.

And in case you were wondering, here's what it looked like for the Phish thing they did a little while back. So it'll probably look something like this.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1451921&postcount=52
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I walked straight in with a mixed drink in a 20oz Dixie cup in one hand, and an unopened beer in the other. I fully intended to toss them in the box, but CSC was waving and hurrying me through.

this all helps a lot actually but i would still like to know specifically if we can park our car away from the tents. even if we cant your advice has made it seem not so bad. you see i think parking in your site is meant so look like a good thing but it takes away a lot of why i had fun in the previous years being able to access your car without the limitations of random people and security and parking near other people who may not be sleeping near you. it broadened the people ive met

From how the FAQ is laid out, it does not appear to be possible. There is a question regarding this, to which it says "Stand By", which probably means "no, unless we post otherwise."

The only way it could be possible would be to buy 2 camping tickets, one for you car, and one to camp in the tent only section. But based on your post, this probably wouldn't work as you'd still be under the limits of security and people camping by your car, you'd have to lug your gear over to the other site, and it would be more expensive. However, you'd still meet more people, and you'd make good friends with the people around your car as I'm sure they'd appreciate the extra space since you wouldn't need the full 10x30 to park your car.

Lurker

Alright..
    So im really confused right now. We bought one of the 14x14 ready 2 go tents... what kind of spot do we get? it obviously wont fit in the 10x30..

and then we want to bring a rental car, that should be possible? but i definitely dont see how we can fit that? and will the tent be put up, or may we do that ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by trentmorrison View Post
    watch at night, you will hear everyone use their PANIC button to find their car after the concert. have fun sleeping
    Nope.

This doesn't happen
    Without music, life would be a mistake.... I would only believe in a God who knew how to dance - Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't know the way it seams posted on the car camping info page looks like this...

NO SAVING SPOTS - Arrive together to camp together. NEW FOR 2010: 10x30 tent spots are what is being sold (General Camping 10x30). Each CAMP SPOT is HUGE - a 10x30 (300 square feet!!) spot on a beautiful serene grassy area offering quiet private surroundings separate from Car and RV camping areas. All camping amenities included. You can visit any of the other RV or Car Camping areas too. You can cram as many people into your tent as will fit. Each camper must have a festival ticket. Want more space? Buy another spot. If you are driving a car to the event and camping overnight you must purchase a spot and camp in the car camping area. All cars staying overnight during the festival must be in a car camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_guerrero View Post
    I don't know the way it seams posted on the car camping info page looks like this...

NO SAVING SPOTS - Arrive together to camp together. NEW FOR 2010: 10x30 tent spots are what is being sold (General Camping 10x30). Each CAMP SPOT is HUGE - a 10x30 (300 square feet!!) spot on a beautiful serene grassy area offering quiet private surroundings separate from Car and RV camping areas. All camping amenities included. You can visit any of the other RV or Car Camping areas too. You can cram as many people into your tent as will fit. Each camper must have a festival ticket. Want more space? Buy another spot. If you are driving a car to the event and camping overnight you must purchase a spot and camp in the car camping area. All cars staying overnight during the festival must be in a car camping spot.
    It says that under the Tent Only camping section.

I have something to add to this that i just thought of... We have two friends coming in from out of state, we intend on having them camp at our site with us, what will they do with their car?

Lurker

This is one of the most messily contrived policies that GV has come up with in recent memory. It is pretty telling simply from the sheer number of valid issues/questions emerging from the members of this forum that GV hasn't spent sufficent time thinking about the implications from placing this rule in effect. To imply that all overnight cars need to be in a car camping spot Without in/outs as in previous years effectively
    subjugates the thousands of campers to four days of concentrated isolation. In addition to the number of complaints voiced throughout various threads, people will also have to deal with other campers running their vehicles for a/c and inhaling exhaust as they camp, the noise and fumes from running vehicles will not only be an dangerous and uncomfortable inevitability, but for GV to create a situation which all but encourages it runs counter to the "green" image that coachella has pushed for. On a more personal note, I enjoy being able to have access to my car during the day to explore the surrounding cities, to eat, and to pick up supplies without being tied down to the GV-run store, I consider it a essential part of "the coachella experience". I hope GV concludes that the best course of action is to allow tent-camping vehicles to park in a separate overnight lot or to mingle in with the numerous day-only lots overnight as they did in previous years. That way, people who want a camping experience in the spirit of what coachella is known for may do so and enjoy themselves just as much as those who would rather enjoy the advantages of car camping.

-Sent from my iPhone.
    Last edited by PFKL1; 01-27-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: grammar and coherience

Quote Originally Posted by alleysin View Post
    I have something to add to this that i just thought of... We have two friends coming in from out of state, we intend on having them camp at our site with us, what will they do with their car?
    If they drive it to the festival and want to leave it over night then they will need to get their own car camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by designflaw View Post
    If they drive it to the festival and want to leave it over night then they will need to get their own car camping spot.
    lame, looks like i have to come to terms with this unless gv magically considers to address what PFKL1 has so eloquently summarized here!

not lame, thats if the people driving arrive late or a day late to the grounds. parking is free & prkn isnt badd. jus dnt leave after you arrive
    Coachella 06, 07, 08 (Camping 07, 08)

010' Fri - Jay-Z . Them Crooked Vultures, The Specials, La Roux, P.O.S., Wale, As Tall as Lions, Grizzly Bear

Sat - Muse, Faith No More, DEVO, MGMT, Coheed & Cambria, Z-Trip, Les Claypool, Mew, Tokyo Police Club, Frightened Rabbit, Corainne Bailey Rae, RX Bandits, Portugal. The Man, Flying Lotus

Sun - Gorillaz, Thom Yorke (Radiohead =) Sly & the Family Stone, De La Soul, Yo La Tengo, MUTEMATH, Matt & Kim, B.O.B., King Khan & the Shrines, Phoenix

If you want to leave your car overnight parking is not free - they clearly state that you must purchase a car camping spot if you want to leave it overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by PFKL1 View Post
    This is one of the most messily contrived policies that GV has come up with in recent memory. It is pretty telling simply from the sheer number of valid issues/questions emerging from the members of this forum that GV hasn't spent sufficent time thinking about the implications from placing this rule in effect. To imply that all overnight cars need to be in a car camping spot Without in/outs as in previous years effectively
    subjugates the thousands of campers to four days of concentrated isolation. In addition to the number of complaints voiced throughout various threads, people will also have to deal with other campers running their vehicles for a/c and inhaling exhaust as they camp, the noise and fumes from running vehicles will not only be an dangerous and uncomfortable inevitability, but for GV to create a situation which all but encourages it runs counter to the "green" image that coachella has pushed for. On a more personal note, I enjoy being able to have access to my car during the day to explore the surrounding cities, to eat, and to pick up supplies without being tied down to the GV-run store, I consider it a essential part of "the coachella experience". I hope GV concludes that the best course of action is to allow tent-camping vehicles to park in a separate overnight lot or to mingle in with the numerous day-only lots overnight as they did in previous years. That way, people who want a camping experience in the spirit of what coachella is known for may do so and enjoy themselves just as much as those who would rather enjoy the advantages of car camping.

-Sent from my iPhone.
    Every camper getting in their car each morning and driving around Indio wasn't very "green," either. It's highly doubtful that every (or even a large majority) car will be running and emitting fumes. There will be shuttles to Vons. I wasn't aware that the spirit of coachella lies in the ability to drive your car around.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by designflaw View Post
    If you want to leave your car overnight parking is not free - they clearly state that you must purchase a car camping spot if you want to leave it overnight.
    im talking about the actual parking lot. not that camp grounds, your right tho, they clearly state that
    Coachella 06, 07, 08 (Camping 07, 08)

010' Fri - Jay-Z . Them Crooked Vultures, The Specials, La Roux, P.O.S., Wale, As Tall as Lions, Grizzly Bear

Sat - Muse, Faith No More, DEVO, MGMT, Coheed & Cambria, Z-Trip, Les Claypool, Mew, Tokyo Police Club, Frightened Rabbit, Corainne Bailey Rae, RX Bandits, Portugal. The Man, Flying Lotus

Sun - Gorillaz, Thom Yorke (Radiohead =) Sly & the Family Stone, De La Soul, Yo La Tengo, MUTEMATH, Matt & Kim, B.O.B., King Khan & the Shrines, Phoenix