Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Projectors!

old school

Default Dirty Projectors!

So, this is definitely one of my most anticipated acts of the weekend for me. Bitte Orca was my favorite album of 2010, yet I have heard very mixed reviews of the live shows. Anyone seen em? Ideas on when and where they might play?
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

old school

Default Re: Dirty Projectors!

So this is awesome:

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

boinggg
    as predicted by nostradamus

old school

So, nobody knows if these guys are any good live?

For 2011

I don't know if they are good or not live, but I will probably check them out regardless. Bitte Orca is just too amazing.

They were awesome when they opened for TVOTR in Winnipeg

It's such a complicated album. Sounds like something thats easy to reproduce in a studio but might come off a little shorthanded live. Here's to hoping they pull it off. Definitely a great album.

I saw them just a few months ago, and I can tell you that they do an amazing job recreating the album in a live setting. I imagine they must spend a whole lot of time rehearsing in order to pull of some of the things they do.

On a few of their songs they are able to re-create the back and forth "Oh" "Ah" calls between the two girl vocalists that come off sounding like rapid-fire arpeggio's (if you've heard the album you probably know what I'm talking about)....its really incredible that they can do that live and it's definitely awesome to watch/hear.

I would not miss them!

they were amazing at bonnaroo but thats because everything is amazing there. the glad fact album is the best, though
    as predicted by nostradamus

Here's what I was talking about....found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px96-...eature=related

Pretty cool stuff.

Incredible live! They def pull it off live, its amazing how much vocal talent all of them have
    Last edited by The_blakeness; 02-01-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    05-13

I cannot wait to see them.

8/16-17 - Summer Sonic @ OVC Marine Field Tokyo
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park
    10/19 - Metronomy @ Belly-Up Tavern
    10/21 - Metronomy @ The Regent Theater
    10/23 - Metronomy @ Regency Ballroom
    11/17 - Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent
    2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 wk 2, 2013 wk 1, 2014 wk 1

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydont View Post
    It's such a complicated album. Sounds like something thats easy to reproduce in a studio but might come off a little shorthanded live. Here's to hoping they pull it off. Definitely a great album.
    This is what I was thinking as well.

For 2011

Back in 2005, an earlier iteration of the Dirty Projectors released their concept album The Getty Address, which Pitchfork's Jason Crock called "a modern opera about post-9/11 America, the destruction of our natural wilderness, the confrontation between Hernan Cortes and the Aztecs in the early 16th century, and a protagonist named after Don Henley." An ambitious album, to say the least.

Dirty Pro frontman Dave Longstreth has come a long way since that album, but he hasn't forgotten it. And at two forthcoming shows in New York and Los Angeles, the band will play the album in full, with the 15-piece ensemble Alarm Will Sound and conductor Alan Pierson helping out. They'll also play songs from last year's Bitte Orca at both shows.

I will be at their set no matter what... Even if it means my wife will be off in the Sahara dancing to Kaskade by herself.

im glad that live video got posted, i was moderately concerned that their live show might disappoint as the music is so complex/havent really seen any reviews.

but now i shall rest easy.
    Meow.Meow..Meow...

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I've seen them 3 times now and every time has been excellent. The only thing missing from Bitte Orca in a live setting is the strings. Everything else is played and sounds amazing. It's certainly not as polished sounding, although that mainly applies to Dave. The girls are always spot on. If you like the album, do not miss this set.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

old school

I will definitely be there now.

For 2011

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    I will be at their set no matter what... Even if it means my wife will be off in the Sahara dancing to Kaskade by herself.
    I'll be sure to keep her company, buddy.

old school

So this needs to happen:

(it gets good around 2:25)

For 2011

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Back in 2005, an earlier iteration of the Dirty Projectors released their concept album The Getty Address, which Pitchfork's Jason Crock called "a modern opera about post-9/11 America, the destruction of our natural wilderness, the confrontation between Hernan Cortes and the Aztecs in the early 16th century, and a protagonist named after Don Henley." An ambitious album, to say the least.

Dirty Pro frontman Dave Longstreth has come a long way since that album, but he hasn't forgotten it. And at two forthcoming shows in New York and Los Angeles, the band will play the album in full, with the 15-piece ensemble Alarm Will Sound and conductor Alan Pierson helping out. They'll also play songs from last year's Bitte Orca at both shows.
    OH FUCK is that the Disney Hall show? GA is by far my favorite album from them, now I am extremely bitter about not going
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Yup Disney Hall show. Yeah I love that album and never really even heard about it until I read that announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    So this is awesome:

hahaha i definitely dance a little like this... and yes i'm white

If i don't really like the getty address, do you think going to the disney hall show would be worth it? i have some pretty good seats, but they were super expensive...

Good seats at the disney hall would be enough to sway me, imo. But, if Bitte Orca sounds like nails on a chalkboard to you, then I guess avoid.

I really wish I would have bought tickets for Air at the Disney Hall.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

that girl in the white people dancing video is kinda hot
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

old school

kinda way hot.

For 2011

I missed them at Bonnaroo but will not miss them at Coachella 2010. I'm stoked!
    01, 02, 05, 06, 09, 10

saw them in salt lake last year at a pretty small venue. they're fantastic live, which surprised the hell out of me, actually. i was convinced there was no way that album would translate well to a live performance.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    that girl in the white people dancing video is kinda hot
    kinda?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****