Thread: The last Coachella I attended was 2003

Default The last Coachella I attended was 2003

I went three straight years from 2001-2003 and became hooked on going regardless of what the sacrifice was.

The last one was the Beastie Boys/RHCP event and I ended up getting a bunch of friends hooked on going and havent missed a show since while I haven't gone to one since.

Since then, I have had a girlfriend-turned fiance and daughter that has made it complicated financially. From 04-09, it really hasn't been an option.

However, this year is a real possibility. What I want to know are a few things -

Anyone here gone every year or close to it?. How much has it grown attendance wise since 03? Is there anything really different? Is the setup still virtually the same? How is it three days compared to two? Is it completely tiring at the end of the third day? I remember being drained at the end of day two alone and I was only 21 the last time I went, I am 28 now so I am not sure I have the same energy as I did then.

Is it still virtually the same experience these days as it was seven years ago. I am really trying to convince my girl to go. I have yet to be to a three day event and I am pretty set on going at this point.

Default Re: The last Coachella I attended was 2003

its still a blast. 3 days of music is great but you are definitely fucking exhausted at the end of the third. i fell like attendance is the same roughly. maybe slightly larger. (i think they actually reduced capacity the last few years) the layout of the stages is relatively the same i believe but i started going in 05.

its a blast youll love being back at the polo fields im sure
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

its definetly a lot more crowded..i remember seeing Oasis in 02? and i walked right up to the front no issues...

now its fucking crowded!..

it is more crowded but it's still fucking awesome. hasn't been as hot but you are in the desert. so as long as you pace yourself and drink some water you'll be fine. i started going when i was 20, i'm 30 now, and i make it every time. if she loves music, your girl will thank you.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Norwalkguy View Post
    its definetly a lot more crowded..i remember seeing Oasis in 02? and i walked right up to the front no issues...

now its fucking crowded!..
    It was crowded then too. Oasis had to play at the same time as Bjork and while I like Oasis and don't like Bjork, she had a huge crowd at the main stage.

I am interested to see what kind of crowd Jay-Z draws to this event. I am a fan of Jay-Z but not necessarly a fan of his fanbase so it should be interesting. I expect it to get more packed than ever when he gets on stage.

worst ive seen is when rage played in 07. couldnt get near the stage if you hadnt been waiting like 4 acts out
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

[QUOTE=GuyInTucson;1526380]It was crowded then too. Oasis had to play at the same time as Bjork and while I like Oasis and don't like Bjork, she had a huge crowd at the main stage.

I am interested to see what kind of crowd Jay-Z draws to this event. I am a fan of Jay-Z but not necessarly a fan of his fanbase so it should be interesting. I expect it to get more packed than ever when he gets stage.[/QU]

No..Oasis and Bjork were opposite days...how crowded it was is obviously debateable..

^Really?? I didn't walk up to the main stage until right as they started playing and three songs in found myself on the railing.

Did 2002, 2005, 2006. Come on here for companionship.

But considering doing the whole shabang this year with camping and all.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Anyone here gone every year or close to it?. How much has it grown attendance wise since 03? Is there anything really different? Is the setup still virtually the same? How is it three days compared to two? Is it completely tiring at the end of the third day? I remember being drained at the end of day two alone and I was only 21 the last time I went, I am 28 now so I am not sure I have the same energy as I did then. .
    Been going every year since 2002. It's changed, but it's not hugely different. The three days is, strangely enough, not any more tiring for me. For some reason 3 days of 2PM to Midnite is just about as tiring for me as 2 days of Noon to Midnite.

In terms of crowds, it's definitely more crowded than 02 and 03, but hasn't recently felt quite as crowded as the Radiohead day in 04 or the RATM day in 07. Those days were kind of nuts and made me go "there are too many people here", the rest have been pretty manageable. The tents can feel a bit more crowded than they used to, but not horribly so, and usually you can still get into crowded tents if you know to go around to the tent-holes that are away from the main stage and towards the Sahara. The amount of "trying to cut to the front of the stage" douchebaggery has gone up, but that's just the way life is.

The only major difference i've noted with the crowds is they grow more as the day continues. Whereas there used to be maybe twice as many people at 8pm as there was at 3pm, now it feels more like there are 3-4 times as many people at 8 compared to 3.

The festival grounds setup is pretty similar, although they moved the "entrance" back to create this long front area that doesn't serve much purpose. They've also gotten better with getting people through the gates at the end of the night; those horrific bottlenecks that used to happen where it took 30 minutes just to walk out the entrance gate area doesn't really happen anymore. Also, the Gobi tent, which was reaaaaally tiny in earlier years, has gotten alot bigger. The Mojave is still bigger, but where the Gobi used to be extremely small now it at least holds an acceptable number of people.

The art has also gotten bigger over time, with really big bamboo sculptures, huge fire breathing metal sculptures, etc. There's less "performance" art than there used to be (like that Earth Harp thing, Mutaytor, cyclecide, etc), and more "installation" art that's more like sculpture.

My first year was in 2003 and I have been back every year. I think it has gotten better and better and I really don't think the crowds the past 2 years have been that bad. Was able to get a great spot for The Cure and McCartney. Waters was insane and I was able to walk right up in front of the soundboard. The past 2 years Coachella has really stepped it up with their Main stage productions for guys like Waters and McCartney. Expect the same for Gorillaz this year. Go. Do everything in your power to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AbundantChoice View Post
    Been going every year since 2002. It's changed, but it's not hugely different. The three days is, strangely enough, not any more tiring for me. For some reason 3 days of 2PM to Midnite is just about as tiring for me as 2 days of Noon to Midnite.

In terms of crowds, it's definitely more crowded than 02 and 03, but hasn't recently felt quite as crowded as the Radiohead day in 04 or the RATM day in 07. Those days were kind of nuts and made me go "there are too many people here", the rest have been pretty manageable. The tents can feel a bit more crowded than they used to, but not horribly so, and usually you can still get into crowded tents if you know to go around to the tent-holes that are away from the main stage and towards the Sahara. The amount of "trying to cut to the front of the stage" douchebaggery has gone up, but that's just the way life is.

The only major difference i've noted with the crowds is they grow more as the day continues. Whereas there used to be maybe twice as many people at 8pm as there was at 3pm, now it feels more like there are 3-4 times as many people at 8 compared to 3.

The festival grounds setup is pretty similar, although they moved the "entrance" back to create this long front area that doesn't serve much purpose. They've also gotten better with getting people through the gates at the end of the night; those horrific bottlenecks that used to happen where it took 30 minutes just to walk out the entrance gate area doesn't really happen anymore. Also, the Gobi tent, which was reaaaaally tiny in earlier years, has gotten alot bigger. The Mojave is still bigger, but where the Gobi used to be extremely small now it at least holds an acceptable number of people.

The art has also gotten bigger over time, with really big bamboo sculptures, huge fire breathing metal sculptures, etc. There's less "performance" art than there used to be (like that Earth Harp thing, Mutaytor, cyclecide, etc), and more "installation" art that's more like sculpture.
    Sounds like nothing really has changed. I remember how packed in got towards the end of the first night in 2003. Still seems like Z-Trip is playing every year...
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I have gone every year -some years on some days it has been way too crowded. The main stage has moved from where the vip area is now but i don't remember when that was changed. The crowd has changed-the first years were mostly 20-30 year olds. Now there are a lot of teens in the crowd -and more people that are older than 30. I guess the reputation of a great,safe place for lots of great music has brought in more fans. The headliners in the past few years also attracted fans that might not have gone to the festival if the headliner wasn't playing.I rarely see the headliner.
    As to the three days-the first time it seemed really tiring but now I am used to it and pace myself a little better-sometimes you can't race from stage to tent and back again. A little mellower choice of where to be and when helps. And by the way-I am not young so If I can do it at 56 then most of the kids should be able to survive!

This will be my 11th year and for the most part not much has changed, which is why I keep coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    This will be my 11th year and for the most part not much has changed, which is why I keep coming back.
    i did the 1999-2007 without missing a year. I'll be back this year.

It has gotten a lot more crowded. 2004 was too crowded period. 2007 wasn't much better. But you have to realize I compare it with the first few years when it was just full, but still easy & comfortable. You could get up close to the acts at any stage.

Gone are those days I'm afraid, but it's still great. Apart from the odd afternoon tent that gets so packed it ends up only being a waste of time trying to see the artist.

Also with the camping, means there are many more people there when the gates open, compared to the casual showing up later that seemed to happen more before camping.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 02-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by momof5 View Post
    I have gone every year -some years on some days it has been way too crowded. The main stage has moved from where the vip area is now but i don't remember when that was changed. !
    The main stage was only there in 99 I believe.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Get a divorce. The Gay Orgy is a fun addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Also with the camping, means there are many more people there when the gates open, compared to the casual showing up later that seemed to happen more before camping.
    That sucks. In 2001 (the only one-day festival, but for only $65, it was ano-brainer) we drove out from Tucson at midnight and get there at 6am. There were two cars there and the people were out playing frisbee. Other than that, it was empty until about 9 am other than a few other cars.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella