Thread: Reunion . . . or Astro-Reunion?

Default Reunion . . . or Astro-Reunion?

Apparently Man . . . or Astro-Man? are reuniting for a few SXSW shows. http://www.avclub.com/austin/article...eeze-to,37299/

Quote Originally Posted by The Onion A.V. Club
    In the ’90s, almost no band had a more prolific career than Auburn, Alabama’s Man Or Astro-Man?, which backed up its members’ claims to be extraterrestrials sent to our galaxy with the sole purpose of conquering the populace with hypnotic surf-rock by maintaining a decidedly inhuman touring and recording schedule. Much like David Bowie in The Man Who Fell To Earth, however, chief crewmembers Star Crunch, Birdstuff, and Coco The Electronic Monkey Wizard eventually became broken shells of their former selves, grew weary of the constant grind of finding new ways to repurpose old B-movie samples nicked from Mystery Science Theater 3000 and creating elaborate stage shows devoted to Tesla coils and dot-matrix printers, and officially retired to their “underground cryogenic center” in 2001, where they’ve remained ever since. (Except for a few side projects like Servotron, St. Vincent, and The Polyphonic Spree—but as always with MOAM?, telling the truth fucks up the story.)

Apparently that Man Or Astro-Man? mission has officially entered Phase Two: The Nostalgic Reunioning, as today it was announced that the band will reform for a series of shows during this year’s SXSW. And there’s not going to be any of that “Alpha” and “Gamma Clone” nonsense, either: The original Star Crunch, Birdstuff, and Coco will be suiting up for this “year we make re-contact,” giving earthlings a chance to see what effect suspended animation has had on the advancement of age. Other than a March 6 gig in Birmingham, their SXSW performances are all that’s scheduled—and one can only hope some enterprising booker is working on a double-bill with fellow confirmed SXSW act Zolar X, who scooped the band’s whole “we’re from outer space” shtick by several decades.
    I hope this turns into a full on tour or an addition (on Saturday) to Coachella.

Default Re: Reunion . . . or Astro-Reunion?

Of the things that are wonderful and joyous in the world, this thread title is one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I have only heard one song of theirs and that was due to the instrumental board mix... and I fucking loved it. I have been meaning to get into these guys. How many albums do they have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

A lot. Start at the beginning with Is it . . . Man or Astro-Man?.