Thread: Bikes

Default Bikes

I'm thinking of renting a low end bike this year but I'm wondering as to whether there are bike racks, security issues, vandalism, etc... I went through the thread from 2008 but I'm curious if there is any feedback from those of you who have done this. With the in and out this year if could be very useful. Thanks!

Default Re: Bikes

Last year was our first time biking, and it is so much better than driving. Very pleasant, especially cooling off in the desert wind on the way home, and of course not being stuck in your car. But we got a house in Indian Palms making the ride only about 10-15min long. Now biking distance has become the #1 thing I look for in renting a house.

As for the logistics, we have never seen a designated bike parking area. Instead just look for a solid spot to chain it to - most people (including us) chained it along the chain-link fence that ran for a ways leading up to the gates. Plenty of room.

No vandalism or theft, but I ride a crappy bmx, the theft of which would not upset me too much.

(I also have the deluded idea that one of the "Carpoolchella" lifetime-pass-givers will spot me on the bike and hook me up.)

old school

A cheap mountain or BMX bike will serve you well especially on the festival grounds. A road bike is probably not going to handle the terrain all that well. Just buy a cheap throw away mountain bike from a thrift store for $20-$30 & get a cheap lock to keep it safe all wknd.

Yes...mountain bike chained to the fence by the entrance works wonders. No problem for me.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

sweet. very helpful, thanks much!
    Coachella 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Im going to be riding my bike 210 miles to coachella this year. Lucky for me I have a house less than a mile from the gates where i get to keep it.

So...your going to ride back and forth 105 times before you go in?

Anyone considering taking bikes with them to the campgrounds? Our group plans to have a couple to ride to and from the store to avoid the shuttle lines. And we'll be locking them inside the cars during the fest and at night.

If Carpoolers get rewarded with a shot at an amazing prize, shouldn't bikers get some lovin' too?

I can't be the only one that thinks this...

We rode our bikes as well from Indian Palms last year, there is designated bike parking to the right of the entrance gates outside the handicap parking. There's no racks though, you just lock up your bike wherever you can find a spot open on the chain link fence. It's fun riding down Monroe in between cars stuck waiting to get in the parking lot.

And I agree Arcade Parade, it's complete bs that people carpooling get shots at awesome prizes yet people who don't bring a car get no shot.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Awesome pictures Ivankay, bikes forever!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    So...your going to ride back and forth 105 times before you go in?
    Nooooo man, I live in santa clarita, about three and half hours driving, but I also own a house less than a mile from the venue.

Ive always tripped about locking my baby onto a chainlink fence, i feel like anyone with the right pliers could cut through that easy. Maybe ill find a beater to keep out there so I can ride that from my house to the venue.

And yes! I totally agree that bikers deserve the same perks as car poolers. Even when car pooling your still using harmful emissions where as bikes are completely emission free.

Well fuck bikes, now I'm bringing a horse.

I always lock my bike at one of the posts. No wire cutters are going to get through one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeParade View Post
    If Carpoolers get rewarded with a shot at an amazing prize, shouldn't bikers get some lovin' too?

I can't be the only one that thinks this...
    I mean, like...is the reward for carpooling not that you are being enviro friendly?