Thread: Local Natives!!!

Default Local Natives!!!

Their "Gorilla Manor" album is outstanding, and they're supposed to be pretty darn good live. Can't wait to see them.

Default Re: Local Natives!!!

The album is better than the live performance, by quite a distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

is it? damn.

did u catch them on their recent tour?

Great live. Saw them open for Edward Sharpe without knowing a thing about them and was completely blown away. Don't miss their set.

Yeah. End of last year. Was really looking forward to it, but it just didn't grab me at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I think they're pretty incredible live, myself. I've seen them maybe four or so times and every show as left me on the floor.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

old school

Sweet, good news about the live show. I've been digging these guys for a while and it was a pleasant surprise to see them on the poster.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

I saw Local Natives at the Sunset Junction last year. I was impressed.

Sly & Robbie was the highlight of Sunset Junction Saturday, despite the keyboard sound issues. Miss Derringer was good too. The rest was blah.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey sex View Post
    Sly & Robbie was the highlight of Sunset Junction Saturday, despite the keyboard sound issues. Miss Derringer was good too. The rest was blah.
    My highlight was Built to SPill, who should play Coachella one of these days.

Dont think I saw them...they were prolly on Sunday. The singer for Nico Vega was checking me out walking around before their show. Didnt care for them, unfortunately.

So much ganj smoke during Sly. Couldnt stop skankin.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey sex View Post
    Dont think I saw them...they were prolly on Sunday. The singer for Nico Vega was checking me out walking around before their show. Didnt care for them, unfortunately.

So much ganj smoke during Sly. Couldnt stop skankin.
    Built to Spill was SUnday, I did not go Saturday.

i saw local natives open up for ben kweller last year and liked them a lot actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

i also used to go see them when they were Cavil at Rest years ago and loved them then, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

That "Warning Signs" cover is a knockout. I hope they play it.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

Amazing album! one of the best debut albums I have heard in a long time. No way I will be missing these guys

Quote Originally Posted by dirt lip View Post
    Amazing album! one of the best debut albums I have heard in a long time. No way I will be missing these guys
    I gotta get this album, tries two weeks ago and couldn't find it. Yep, this band is A-effin-mazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

Cavil at rest. Tesoro high

Saw them a couple of times here in NYC, tiny room, and a small larger room, both were really good performances, I think they will be a perfect refreshment come Sunday, a mid-day set, coming down from whatever bonanzaesque activity you were getting involved in the night before.... the liquid taste so good on my tongue.......... YOWZA!
    "Ummm...I am not going to rehab becuase I won't be out for Coachella Festival..."

old school

This thread needs to be moved to Lineup/Artists.

Here is a great live vid I found:

I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Local Natives - Gorilla Manor 8.4

Gorilla Manor, the debut album from L.A.'s Local Natives, features rustic and yearning vocals, three-part harmonies, clattering percussion, wiggly guitar leads, euphoric chanting, and a Talking Heads cover. In short, the Silver Lake quintet have followed indie rock's major players in recent years-- they knew how to dress for success in 2010. Great for them-- now, what's in it for you? Plenty as it turns out.

Local Natives have already gained a foothold in parts of Europe-- their album has received attention in the UK and they graced the cover of Scandinavia's Sonic magazine late last year-- at home in L.A., and online. With good reason too: Advance singles "Airplanes" and "Sun Hands" recalled elements of Dodos or the Fleet Foxes. The best comparison perhaps is that they're sort of a West Coast Grizzly Bear-- right down to naming an album after the location in which it was recorded. Yet whereas Grizzly Bear's Yellow House is a cozy, isolated New England seaside shack, Local Natives' Gorilla Manor is a squalid Orange County party pad.

At first listen that seems off-- the chops and compositional sense here are the most immediately impressive part of the album. But dig deeper and you realize Local Natives never lose sight of the pleasures of being a youthful rock band-- right down to themes of wanderlust and discovery. "Oh, to see it with my own eyes," goes to the central lyrics to album opener "Wide Eyes". This inquisitiveness and quest for self-knowledge may as well be the record's life-affirming and open-armed thesis statement.

Indeed, this optimism relishes experience and finds opportunity where others may see obstacles: Garage rocker "Camera Talk" initially reads like a harried travelogue ("We're running through the aisles/ Of the churches still in style"), but the band still comes off like they're living the dream-- " And even though I can't be sure/ Memory tells me that these times are worth working for." "Airplanes" is a tribute to one of the bandmember's pilot grandfather, and while the counterpoints of strings and piano are buoyant enough it's the evocative images (chopsticks from his time spent in Japan, a well-thumbed encyclopedia) that indicate his life was well-lived.

But even where the lyrics get more obtuse (a Skype exchange with an ex is likened to a "Cubism Dream"), there's almost always a strong pulse running through the busy, precise compositions: "Shape Shifter", for example, is about impressionistic themes of self-reckoning but the sentiment is also reflected in the song's arrangement. At certain points, it's Gorilla Manor's sludgiest track; at others, it's the most quicksilver and agile. The strings and harmonies of the glacial "Cards & Quarters" and "Who Knows, Who Cares?" are gorgeous, but drum rolls and washes of cymbal hint at imminent collapse. Only closer "Sticky Thread" offers calm.

So while the record's second half dials back the tempo, stuck in its midsection is a cover of the Talking Heads, hardly a band that would be considered "loose." "Warning Sign" isn't the most canonical of their songs, but taking it on is an audacious decision for a band that would be wise to let the comparisons come to them first. They retain the elasticity of the bassline and the general verse-chorus structure, but that's about it: David Byrne's pinprick vocals are treated with melodic contour and supple harmonies, the breakdown veers from nervous to joyfully emphatic, and the guitars soften around the edges. Whether it's "better" than the original is besides the point-- at least for four minutes, Local Natives take ownership of it, fully integrating what might have been an incompatible hard left turn into the record's seamless whole. True, we tend to bow at novelty and innovation, but Gorilla Manor proves to be a refreshing reminder of the pleasures of synthesis.

— Ian Cohen, February 15, 2010
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...gorilla-manor/

WTF.....???

theyre not even from LA, theyre from South Orange County....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    WTF.....???

theyre not even from LA, theyre from South Orange County....
    To say they're from south OC could be considered a bit of a turn-off to some.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Well who cares its the fuckin truth.... thats bullshit to be ashamed of where your from, they wouldnt have gone anywhere if it wasnt for the Orange County Music scene, eVocal, Detroit Bar, the OCMAs, the Yost Theatre.... this really kind of pisses me off.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

I am obsessed with this band! "Airplanes" and "Camera Talk" are incredible, great record. I am definitely seeing their set Sunday...if the drugs I take Saturday don't fuck me up too badly...
    If you don't like me, you can kiss my whole asshole

Friday:The Avett Bros, Yeasayer, La Roux, The Whitest Boy Alive, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, She & Him, Deadmau5, Jay-Z

Saturday: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, the XX, Dirty Projectors, Major Lazor, MGMT, The Dead Weather, Hot Chip, Muse, 2ManyDjs

Sunday: Local Natives, Deerhunter, Miike Snow, Phoenix, Julian Casablancas, Infected Mushroom, Spoon, Sly & The Family Stone, Gorillaz

I'm glad Pitchfork reviewed this or who knows when I would have gotten around to checking it out. I've been lagging on listening to a lot of new stuff from the lineup. I haven't enjoyed an album upon first listen as much as I did this for quite a while. Very excited about them now.

I was wondering about them earlier today in the Pitchfork news/review thread, because I haven't heard their entire album but what I heard on their MySpace profile seemed kind of boring and like the review states, they have a familiar sound. They have a lot of buzz over in the UK which usually is a bad thing. I can't imagine this being a great live band.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    Well who cares its the fuckin truth.... thats bullshit to be ashamed of where your from, they wouldnt have gone anywhere if it wasnt for the Orange County Music scene, eVocal, Detroit Bar, the OCMAs, the Yost Theatre.... this really kind of pisses me off.
    Let it go bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie Cupcakes View Post
    I was wondering about them earlier today in the Pitchfork news/review thread, because I haven't heard their entire album but what I heard on their MySpace profile seemed kind of boring and like the review states, they have a familiar sound. They have a lot of buzz over in the UK which usually is a bad thing. I can't imagine this being a great live band.
    Excellent live band. Don't miss 'em!!!!!