Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix

Default Re: Phoenix

This was certainly a beautiful set. caught every minute of it. loved how they reworked their songs.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

I had fun at Phoenix and thought they did a great job, it was hard knowing that Sigur Ros was over on the Outdoor though, but thats what 2 weekends are for.

R. Kelly was a fun/strange suprise. A lot of disappointed faces in the crowd as I broke out to head over to the end of Sigur Ros though. People staring at the stage clinging onto the hope that Daft Punk would somehow show up even as the lights came on. A lot of people got Daft Punk'd.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

It's their own damn fault.

I only caught the first three songs of Phoenix but did they ever fully utilize their stage backdrop?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I hope everyone enjoyed the Glowruption during Fences, Thanks to my buddy Frank. That shit came all the way from NJ! Everyone around us had a blast and had their hands full of glow sticks
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Quote Originally Posted by arya. View Post
    Love Like A Sunset was so unbelievably beautiful. One of the fondest Coachella memories I will ever have. Such an awesome way to end a perfect Saturday.
    I came to this thread just to say this too. It was a spectacle to watch!

I decided to watch Phoenix on weekend 2 -- they were terrific, but the set included only 4 new songs, so I am DEFINITELY glad I bought a ticket to their show here in AZ in which they played a bunch of new songs. I get why they did that, but I am really in love with the new album -- can't stop playing it! Don't forget to buy the album when it comes out this week! I really hope this album is a big hit for them; they deserve it, and they are obviously promoting the hell out of it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Shit up Amy, nobody here is buying the fucking album - this is the internets!
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

I know. I can't really afford to buy it until next weekend myself, but I figure I owe Phoenix that much. I think this is my (and my kids') favorite album so far this year.

Love Like a Sunset on the main stage at Coachella was amazing W2. My daughter and I were right up front. Loved the strobe lights.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I decided to watch Phoenix on weekend 2 -- they were terrific, but the set included only 4 new songs, so I am DEFINITELY glad I bought a ticket to their show here in AZ in which they played a bunch of new songs. I get why they did that, but I am really in love with the new album -- can't stop playing it! Don't forget to buy the album when it comes out this week! I really hope this album is a big hit for them; they deserve it, and they are obviously promoting the hell out of it too.
    I watched the first half of their set weekend one (bailed to catch the end of new order) and i thought it was pretty good. my friend who is a big fan was kinda over it, but she's seen them 4 or 5 times. the guy that owns the condo we stay at was working main stage tear down/set up from 1-9am after the fest closed, and he said the guys from Phoenix were the nicest guys ever, and he didn't give a shit about them Thursday night when we got into town.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Their set was definitely one of my favorites from the entire weekend. Lots of great moments that have been popping up in my head all week.

I missed them W1 to wander around watching Sigur Ros, Booka Shade, and New Order, but I wish I had caught a bit more of their set. Even after seeing their full sets a couple times now, I am still looking forward to seeing them live again when they bring their tour back around.

I enjoyed their Weekend 1 set and will be watching their set at OSL.

Me too at OSL! I hope there are no conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    You don't like them as much as the next guy. This was your main point. You like them slightly less.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Me too at OSL! I hope there are no conflicts.
    It's gonna be so much fun. I can't wait for OSL, this is gonna be our first time going. (My fiance and I)

And luckily her sister lives in the city so we don't have to pay for a place to stay, which means we'll be spending hundreds of $ less than Coachella.

More $$ for the great food, beer, and wine they have there!

I skipped them weekend 1 to avoid the daft punk people and to catch sigur ros. weekend 2 was just great. during the encore, the singer walked down the center isle with his mic cord glowing red and sang a bit of entertainment from the top of the sound board and then crowd surfed the second pit and first pit before making his way to the stage to finish up. I was about 3 feet from him in the second pit.

I did feel like there was a bit of a lull for the last 2 or 3 songs before 1901 though. the energy seemed a little drained.

there will still plenty of people expecting daft punk for some reason. a girl behind me kept chanting daft punk after every song and I just glared at her. I was tempted to punch her in the tit if she kept it up, but she left after the 3rd song.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    I hope everyone enjoyed the Glowruption during Fences, Thanks to my buddy Frank. That shit came all the way from NJ! Everyone around us had a blast and had their hands full of glow sticks
    I tried to participate in this with my remaining glow sticks, but I throw like a girl and they wound up in the aisle between pits.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    the guy that owns the condo we stay at was working main stage tear down/set up from 1-9am after the fest closed, and he said the guys from Phoenix were the nicest guys ever, and he didn't give a shit about them Thursday night when we got into town.
    he really had nothing but nice things to say about them. really humble and down to earth guys.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    I watched the first half of their set weekend one (bailed to catch the end of new order) and i thought it was pretty good. my friend who is a big fan was kinda over it, but she's seen them 4 or 5 times. the guy that owns the condo we stay at was working main stage tear down/set up from 1-9am after the fest closed, and he said the guys from Phoenix were the nicest guys ever, and he didn't give a shit about them Thursday night when we got into town.
    Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    he really had nothing but nice things to say about them. really humble and down to earth guys.
    Great article from Spin:

A few paces away, under freshly budding Oak trees, Mazzalai goes over the sheet music to "Lisztomania" with a compositionally-inclined fan, and Mars idly scrolls through his iPhone. Around them, thousands of students — a swarm of sweatpants and flip-flops — buzz about the lushly landscaped campus. Except one.

A helmeted and bespectacled girl with long black hair and an innocent air has hopped off her bicycle and is staring at Mars. She looks at me, then back at Mars, then me again, then Mars, then waves me over. "Is that—?" She can't get it out.

I answer and she puts her hand to mouth, as if I'd told her that the glorious sight before her is, yes, an alien astride a unicorn.

"Do you think he'll take a photo with me?"

Because he is the third-nicest member of Phoenix, which means he's in a four-way tie with Branco, d'Arcy, and Mazzalai for first on the list of nicest musicians I've ever met, Mars immediately obliges.

"Are you coming to the show?" he softly asks the girl.

"I don't have tickets," she says shyly.

Mars types her name into his phone. "There's plenty of room inside. The tickets will be for you at the door." Mars also asks if she needs a plus one. He does this sheepishly, as if he's worried she might say no and doesn't want to cause any embarrassment.

"Okay, plus one," she says, and hands me her Blackberry to take the photo.

Mars hugs her and smiles and the girl beams like the Alien on the Unicorn has just asked if she'll return as his bride to Planet Zartaak.

"What do I owe you?" she asks Mars.

At this moment, I will admit that there is a part of me that enjoys stories about Led Zeppelin and groupies and mudsharks and wants to get kicked out of Phoenix's coffee shop and deposited in some shithole where the only food is salty peanuts that didn't originally come that way and the only drink is beer. Just beer. And that small, socially passé part of me wishes Mars would now vampirishly eye the girl and say something sleazy like, "Do you know what in France we call la petit mort? Would you care to die a little?"

Instead, he smiles and simply says, "It's free. Don't worry about it." He is the third-nicest member of Phoenix. It's better this way.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also from the article:

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Yup, very excited to see them at OSL now. Might be going to Lolla, too. Four times in six months, haha.

Awesome to hear that they're great guys, too. Feels like it confirms their on-stage personalities.

So close he could have pee'd on me

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

They can hold down main stage for sure. Not the biggest fan of theirs, but they did a great job closing out main.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    that's a really cool story. these guys appear to be nothing but class.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Love this story! & this album is really good so far on first listen-through.

Album is on Spotify now, if you haven't heard it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Album is on Spotify now, if you haven't heard it yet.
    W00t! Awesome. I'm still going to buy the CD though. Have to give them some love.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Phoenix was great. I think I enjoyed them even more weekend 2.

Bought the album. Don't wanna be too reactionary but yeah ...I'm liking this more than WAP
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

My flight attendant flying back from Palm Springs looked just like Thomas Mars.

I guess you had to be there..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    Bought the album. Don't wanna be too reactionary but yeah ...I'm liking this more than WAP
    I think this album has much better songs.