Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: arcade fire...

Default arcade fire...

so, maybe i just 'dont get it' but what is the big deal with arcade fire? from the bits ive heard, they sound decent, but people are praising them like they are a buddha descended from above handing out the finest chocolate bars. what gives? help me out on this.

Default Re: arcade fire...

I agree. Another one of SPIN's whacked out bands. They appear to me as the indie version of Slipknot.
    I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.

myspace.com/garbanzermusic

I had to give the album a full listen before I "got" it. They have a granduer to them. Their songs are wild and full and they go somewhere. That's what I like about them, anyway.

They're not the greatest band ever and they're not for everbody, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I had to give the album a full listen before I "got" it. They have a granduer to them. Their songs are wild and full and they go somewhere. That's what I like about them, anyway.

They're not the greatest band ever and they're not for everbody, though.

Pretty well put ... I agree that upon first listen, I was not blown away ... then again, I tried listening to the 30 second clips on allmusic.com, and that does this band no justice at all ... you have to take in the whole album (if we're talking about 'Funeral' here)

Their live performances are pretty spectacular ... they blew up the polo grounds in 2005 with an amazing set.

I'm sure when morning comes, many of their fans will rip all over this thread with "How can you not like the Arcade Fire????" posts.

I think that you have to see them live to really know what the buzz is about.

I was lucky enough to see the whole of their last Coachella set and they blew me away, certainly the best live performance I saw that year and up there with my all time favourite festival performances and I've been going to festvals for longer than I care to remember.

and... did you see daft punk last year? cause i think you may need to reneg your statement.

Arcade Fire are pretty good. Yeah, I agree their 2005 performances was amazing. Definatly not up there as one of my top, but still one to remember. I don't mind seeing them again... Unless they go against someone really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Kiefer no didn't see Daft Punk last year as wan't there. I did Sziget in Hungary last year, 8 day fest . I was at Coachella in 04 and 05 and have already booked my flights from UK for this year, can't wait.

Check out neonbible.com

You can atleast respect them for their wackiness. Cool website. Anyone wacky enough to have a website like that, would put on an awesome show.

I also was not a huge fan of the Arcade Fire (although I had the album) until seeing them at Coachella. Unfortunately, I only caught the first half of the set, as I then had to run over to the tents for the Dresden Dolls. No regrets there.

Damn guys, lots of misdirected hatred. I guess I understand why the potential to hate the old AF is there, given the massive, omnipresent hyping.

But having seen the old Daft Punk live twice (Coachella '06 and Bang!), I still think that the Arcade Fire's live show more than holds up a candle to it.

Daft Punk's amazing performance works on just way too many levels to compare too. It is literally the greatest thing I've ever seen. But on a purely musical and not stage or legend-related playing field - the Arcade Fire are number two.

The power of yelling the "Wake Up" chant along with 20,000 other people outside of the Outdoor stage is just ridiculous. And the band just belts out this awesome power and tension that makes things you may not like about them (like Win's puberty-powered voice) seem perfect. Not to mention the rest of the members of the band are quarreling dramatically in character the whole way through.

And... one of them even climbed the rafter and used it as a percussion tool - to further bug out the crowd.

So - plainly put: Watch them live, you'll get it then. They really are one of the most exciting bands in the world, not overrated at all.

Arcade Fire - good musically. A little absurd that they need that many people in the band, but whatever... Singing's pretty eh though. Win's voice makes me want to scream sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad as that Crap Your Pants Say Duhhhh guy.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

some people here should go work for pitchfork

Ok The Arcade Fire live is something you just have to see, they are first and foremost awsome musicians, they are always trading off instruments between song. The girl on the violin will got sit behind the drums while the guy on drums will go over and play keyboard and the guy who was playing keyboard will pick up an accordian. They whole time they are playing they keep the theatrics up the whole show, which makes them even more entertaining. And they get the crowd whipped up into a frenzy, I had heard their music before I saw them and I liked it somewhat, but their live performance made me a hardcore fan.
    I miss Bill Hicks.

Um. Arcade Fire are the second coming....their performance in 2005 was "ok, not your top"???? That performance changed my life. They are absolutely, hands down, fantastic.

i saw them in '05 and was blown away but the best EVER was at a little fest in guelph ontario later that summer...there was probably only about 5-8000 people there but the energy they whipped up in the crown made it feel like there was 30000+

the best part of the night was at the end of the set... they were out of time so they just formed a line, jumped into the crowd and weaved around it while playing "wake up" - simply amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSociety View Post
    I also was not a huge fan of the Arcade Fire (although I had the album) until seeing them at Coachella. Unfortunately, I only caught the first half of the set, as I then had to run over to the tents for the Dresden Dolls. No regrets there.
    Oh, I know. 2005 was the worst scheduling ever. I had to leave during "Power Out" to make it inside the tent for the Dresden Dolls, meaning I missed "Rebellion" But I had already seen the Arcade Fire twice and never the Dresden Dolls, so it was no contest. Of course, I still haven't seen New Order. Damn, why didn't they do a proper tour like everyone else?

they should headline the second day

IMHO The Arcade Fire is a better band than any of the headliners. If you dont get em you havent listened to the album all the way through.

I've never seen band put so much energy into a performance before, I saw them in January of 2005 and they were completely stellar. They were obviously completely physically and emotionally involved with their performance. For the encore they passed out a few hundred flash lights into the crowd and turned off the venue lights, it was absolutely magical.

As far as not needing so many band members, each one is integral to create the sound they have... not all bands like muse can have sequenced and triggered shit to make it seem as if they are playing more than they are... takes away from whats it called, oh yeah musicianship... (though i do like muse and matt fucking rocks balls in concert).

Smile Re: arcade fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
    so, maybe i just 'dont get it' but what is the big deal with arcade fire? from the bits ive heard, they sound decent, but people are praising them like they are a buddha descended from above handing out the finest chocolate bars. what gives? help me out on this.

see them live. then we'll talk.

They'll be so amazing. Their live show is a spectacle that can't be described. It's like an event.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I saw them at Emo's in Austin, and then at Coachella. The Napoleon Dynamite looking guy was beating the rafters so hard pieces of wood were flying dangerously close to the danger-oblivious crowd, who was having way too good of a time to worry about losing an eye. They switch instruments between every song, play them as though they were born with fucking accordians and violins attached to their fingers, and they are like omg so totally unconventional. Crazy concept these days, enjoying something that sounds different... heaven forbid. Sarcasm aside, it isn't for everybody, but it's sort of... ign'ant... to say they're a shitty band.

hahaha, you all need to wait. for those who havent seen the coachella dvd check it out for a bite size sample of what arcade will bring to the weekend!

They will own the entire weekend. When they play My Body is a Cage various people in the crowd will spontaneously combust.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

you have absolutely no place insulting arcade fire until you see them live. trust the force.

Bought Funeral, loved it. Saw them at the Electric Picnic in Ireland and was completely blown away. Tickets for the two nights here in Dublin sold in just under 3 minutes.
    Enough said

travlin to montreal to see them close out their 5 night residence..us kids know!

i too missed the arcade fire set for the dresden dolls.
    glad i get another chance at seeing them, but i think it'll be a different beast.

to be clear, i never said they sucked, i just dont get it. how many concerts has everyone here seen? ive seen a lot of bands that 'put themselves sooo into it.' i will say, they are not better than rage or bjork though (for the person who said they are better than the headliners).