Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Educate Others On The Lineup Thread 2010

Default Re: The Official Educate Others On The Lineup Thread 2010

Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    Yann Tiersen did the score for Amelie.

Also: "His music is recognized by its use of a large variety of instruments in relatively minimalist compositions, often with a touch of either European classical music or French folk music, using primarily the piano, accordion or violin together with instruments like the melodica, xylophone, toy piano, ondes martenot, harpsichord and typewriter. His musical style is reminiscent of Frédéric Chopin, Erik Satie, Philip Glass and Michael Nyman."

Interested is interested.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    1:52-2:05

Haha
    The guy in the red shirt is easily the best part of that video, that's for sure.

Will someone do Charlotte Gainsbourg? I just know her as the chick from Anti-Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

girls

looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Im going to try and keep this brief.

Faith No More are a band who are hard to put in any genre, so I will just say they are an alternative band based out of the late 80's/early 90's. They actually formed in the early 80's and had minor success, but their singer ultimately sucked so they kick him out. After a series of auditions, that included Courtney Love, the band choose Mike Patton who was also the frontman of Mr. Bungle at the time. They recorded The Real Thing and had a major hit with the song "Epic." However, that song is not representative of what the band sounds like and it had given some people the impression they are simply an aggro no-metal band. This is not true. They followed up with Angel Dust, which is their masterpiece. The song "Midlife Crisis" was a hit in the US, but nowhere near as big of a song as "Epic." In the UK and Australia however, "Midlife Crisis" was massive. After their tour, their guitarist Jim Martin quit the band. They then recorded King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime, album that sucks almost completely and should be avoided at all costs. The redeemed themselves with their follow up Album of the Year, but broke up in 1998. This show at Coachella will be their first show in North America in 12 years.

Midlife Crisis (from Angel Dust)

Edge Of The World (from The Real Thing)

Stripsearch (from Album Of The Year)

They are also very light hearted and like to play ironic covers for fun. For example...

Reunited (by Peaches & Herb)

Easy (by The Commodores)

I Started A Joke (by The BeeGees)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Devo was Mark Mothersbaugh's band before he became famous doing TV soundtracks. Not to be confused with the guy from Oingo Boingo.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Josh. I know you're excited. but jeez dood. 6? for one band?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Just when it looked like we were in the clear here comes

Club 75 an Ed Banger super group, made up of: Zdar and Boombass of Cassius, Xavier De Rosnay (Justice), DJ Mehdi, and Busy P

myspace

Last edited by stinkbutt; 01-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    sly and the family stone will more than likely suck since sly has snorted himself into the perpetual stance of a fucking t rex

Sig'd

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Will someone do Charlotte Gainsbourg? I just know her as the chick from Anti-Christ
    Charlotte Gainsbourg was born in London, but was raised in Paris. She is the daughter of British actress and singer Jane Birkin and French actor/singer Serge Gainsbourg.

She recorded the album 5:55 with Air.

Her latest album was written and produced by Beck.

David he still rocks out...

So happy Beach House is playing!
    This song wouldn't embed but is definitely one of my favorites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFxdDE0k1_Q

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    Sig'd
    Sadly, Mr. Nipples is probably right. I'm also picturing a trainwreck for PiL, but maybe I'm not giving John Lydon enough credit.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Sadly, Mr. Nipples is probably right. I'm also picturing a trainwreck for PiL, but maybe I'm not giving John Lydon enough credit.
    Welcome back.

Also, the PiL reunion shows in the UK have gotten surprisingly good reviews, so it may not turn out to be a trainwreck like you think.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Easily the most useful thread created since lineup announcement. Good job.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Wink Re: The Official Educate Others On The Lineup Thread 2010

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Welcome back.

Also, the PiL reunion shows in the UK have gotten surprisingly good reviews, so it may not turn out to be a trainwreck like you think.
    Thanks. And that is good to hear.

thestripe

Welcome back.

Well, that's good news.

Owen Pallett

I've seen Arcade Fire four times. Owen Pallett on his own has been better than three of them. I hope y'all appreciate how strong a statement that is from me.

He is a tremendously gifted artist who has been quietly having a huge influence on indie and pop for the last few years, having worked with everybody from Beirut to Mika, Arcade Fire to Pet Shop Boys, so there is a very good chance you have heard him already whether you know it or not. He's a violin guy, primarily. Violin and a keyboard onstage, but he produces a band's worth of sound and then some. He loops himself live in such a way that he provides his own backing instrumentation, but even if you've seen people do it before, they surely never did it with the same kind of frenzied panache as Pallett.

Unfortunately, despite having collaborated with practically every single band in the Western Hemisphere, he also has a bizarre compulsion to self sabotage - up until very recently, his solo output was under the totally googleproof copyright nightmare of Final Fantasy, and his last album had the equally facepalming title of He Poos Clouds.

His current album, Heartland - which is a very strong contender for the best of 2010 already - is described on paper as a concept album about a young ultra-violent farmer who realises Owen fancies him and goes on a suicidal quest to disembowel his creator. Although this would suggest his music is joylessly unlistenable bullshit that no sane person possessed of ears could possibly like, I assure you this is not the case. Despite an unconventional array of instruments and a unique way of putting them to work that has to be seen to be appreciated, his music is enormously good fun and extremely dynamic on the stage.

Given the right stage and set time, it could be positively rabble-rousing stuff. Last time we saw him, he was so drunk he forgot the words to Cliquot; we were too drunk to help him recall them. It dissolved into something just short of a football terrace anthem and a good time was had by all, which is not bad going for a song about a dying gay lover in old France.

Obviously, he doesn't bring the orchestra with him, but this is still a great example of this song:

This is probably more representative, however:

It took me ages to put this post together because I kept getting carried away singing along to the songs on Youtube. The only thing I would say about the youtubes is that, because of the fact that he has to loop in the bits of the song at the start, his songs tend not to work themselves into the proper "Holy Shit!" stage until about two minutes in.

If any one of you misses the chance to see what this guy is about, I will punch you in the face on your own behalf. I swear I tried to keep it brief.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 01-19-2010 at 10:39 AM.

^What Gemma said. I've seen him fairly recently, and I will still claw my way to the front for his Coachella set. And weep.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

That "The CN Tower Belongs to The Dead" is fucking fantastic!

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Baroness are a progressive metal band from Savannah, Georgia sort of in the same vein as Mastodon but I find these guys a lot more musical and interesting. Their shit hits hard. I would expect a later night set which is going to be tough because they will probably be playing at the same time as LCD Soundsystem and Jay-Z. They are a monster as a live band, I was blown away when I saw them. The first two songs are from their most recent album.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

I am pleased with the prog rock going on. I'm not sure I'll be watching much of it, but it's cool that it's there.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Coachella Junkie

Faith No More were a one hit wonder from the 1990s known primarily for their dumb haircuts and for killing goldfish in videos. They subsequently put out a bunch of albums nobody bought that failed to capitalize on the good will of their single chart topper "Epic." The lead singer now owns an alpaca farm in Oregon and the guitarist has been writing children's books. We'll see if they manage to pull off the feverish intensity of "Epic" in the waning years of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Thanks. And that is good to hear.
    Welcome back, Andrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Faith No More were a one hit wonder from the 1990s known primarily for their dumb haircuts and for killing goldfish in videos. They subsequently put out a bunch of albums nobody bought that failed to capitalize on the good will of their single chart topper "Epic." The lead singer now owns an alpaca farm in Oregon and the guitarist has been writing children's books. We'll see if they manage to pull off the feverish intensity of "Epic" in the waning years of their lives.
    You have to be kidding, Pot.

They then recorded King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime, album that sucks almost completely and should be avoided at all costs.
    Wrong.

Are you pushing it out, you ******?

These guys might be ok in the morning just to get you started ... Or maybe put you backto sleep ..... Well after hearing that all the way thru hummmmm I might miss them

The Middle East are a musical collective based in Townsville in Queensland, Australia. Forming in 2005, the group played locally and completed several East Coast tours throughout Australia. In early 2008 they released an album called The Recordings of The Middle East before splitting up. Eight months after this decision was made, the band reconvened and later re-released an abridged version of the debut album, The Recordings of the Middle East as an EP in May 2009 through Spunk Records (AU). This EP was released in North America on the 27th of October, 2009. cr****They do whistle though yuck

Last edited by canexplain; 01-19-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by ragingdave View Post
    Wrong.
    There are like, 4 or 5 good songs on that album.

There are like, 4 or 5 good songs on that album.
    therefore it should be avoided at all costs.

Are you pushing it out, you ******?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingdave View Post
    therefore it should be avoided at all costs.
    And by good I mean not as terrible as the rest of the album. Seriously, if someone wants to get into FNM, that is the very last album they should listen to.