Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise for Coachella Newbie

Question Advise for Coachella Newbie

Like the past couple years I have been saying this is the year I will finally make it out. What advice, tips and tricks do you have for this newbie? Thanks

Default Re: Advise for Coachella Newbie

1. Sun light kills them
    2. Don't let them touch water

and

3. Never, ever, let them eat after midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Happy Birthday Enrique

Have someone carry you, unless you like that god-awful throbbing pain in your feet.
    Last edited by Robosexual; 01-22-2007 at 04:53 PM.
    Practicing active avoidance of cognitive dissonance since 1976.

Banned

WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES!!

The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Why do some of you bother with that stupid riff raff.

Anyways, my experience was poor about 5 years ago, maybe it's changed.

1. Hot as shit, charged out the ass for water, and it eventually ran out.
    2. Lot of sit-around time when you're not into a band who's playing.
    3. A 3-day festival and they try to tell you no re-entry! Come on, ended up jumping the fence and running through. No way can you sit in there for an entire day, that's just crazy.
    4. Nothing to do there or neighboring towns, smack dab in the middle of desert.
    5. Bring lots of money for some killer artwork by random crazy people. it's great.
    6. Unfriendly Security who don't give a fuck about the individual.
    7. Felt very cattle like. Hearded around to food, water, and stages. Locked in. What I'm trying to say is, you had better like a lot of the bands make this trek.

Dudleyville, AZ (yes, it's a real place!)

boardpass is just being a downer, don't listen to 'im. coachella is fun, fun, fun.
    I don't have anything clever to say right now.
    Tiff's Myspace

My first coachella as well! Soo stoked, but some tips besides the general FAQ would definetly be appreciated...

Newbie(s), I would keep these thoughts in mind:

1. Spend some time memorizing where you parked, noting any particular landmarks or reference points you can find in the dark. The parking lots are enormous, unlit, and completely without signage. Last year there were enormous balloons with numbers on them floating over the lots: they were totally invisible after the sun went down. Also, it appeared no staff was anywhere near the lots. Your good time will be ruined if you have to spend 2-3 hours getting out of there after an exhausting day.

2. Bring a lot of money for water and food. Nothing is cheap, and you need to drink water all day to survive the heat.

3. Bring a couple of layers of light clothing, or something that you can make a pillow out of. It's hot as hell during the day, but there is a lot of sitting/lying down waiting, and it's nice to have something to lie on. There are shade tents; make use of them.

4. Understand in advance that some bands you like will be scheduled at the same time; it is not possible to see everyone that is listed on the same day. You will be very disappointed if you arrive expecting to see everyone performing that day.

5. Stake out a spot for a popular band that you really want to see. The fields are flat, not sloped (they are polo fields, after all). This means if you're short you're not going to see anything. Figure out where the band you most want to see is playing, and get there well ahead of time. Otherwise, you will be a mile from the stage and will have to watch the show on the tv screens.

6. Everything people say about the heat is true. Hats, light clothes, comfortable shoes and drinking water are essential. Coachella is 1/3 music, 1/3 a fun experience, and 1/3 survival.

7. Be patient and considerate and it will come back to you. -- J

Quote Originally Posted by boardpass View Post

3. A 3-day festival and they try to tell you no re-entry! Come on, ended up jumping the fence and running through. No way can you sit in there for an entire day, that's just crazy.
    5. Bring lots of money for some killer artwork by random crazy people. it's great.
    7. Felt very cattle like. Hearded around to food, water, and stages. Locked in. What I'm trying to say is, you had better like a lot of the bands make this trek.

Damn. I'm sorry about your experiences, but I have to say, mine were the total opposite. I went in 2004 and 2005 and came across friendly security, affordable water (2 bucks) and didn't have much sit down time (unless I was dying of heat stroke). I didn't feel locked in, just felt like I spent a day out, only to return to a bunch of sunburned drunk and/or high enthusiastic campers relaying their days vastly different experiences over more booze, singalongs and lots and lots of sleep.

My only advise is a lot of sunscreen and water throughout the day. Try to sit in the shade whenever you can, and don't see a ton of bands in the tents during the daytime if possible (it is ungodly hot and uncomfortable in there, no air).

it is bad in the tents - people just sit there and drip.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Lurker

Bring dollars for beers... 7 o 8 dlls for a plastic cup.

Quote Originally Posted by falcowalczyk View Post
    Bring dollars for beers... 7 o 8 dlls for a plastic cup.
    Yeah, if you're an idiot that pays for alcohol there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny the friendly lawyer View Post
    Newbie(s), I would keep these thoughts in mind:

1. Spend some time memorizing where you parked, noting any particular landmarks or reference points you can find in the dark. The parking lots are enormous, unlit, and completely without signage. Last year there were enormous balloons with numbers on them floating over the lots: they were totally invisible after the sun went down. Also, it appeared no staff was anywhere near the lots. Your good time will be ruined if you have to spend 2-3 hours getting out of there after an exhausting day.

2. Bring a lot of money for water and food. Nothing is cheap, and you need to drink water all day to survive the heat.

3. Bring a couple of layers of light clothing, or something that you can make a pillow out of. It's hot as hell during the day, but there is a lot of sitting/lying down waiting, and it's nice to have something to lie on. There are shade tents; make use of them.

4. Understand in advance that some bands you like will be scheduled at the same time; it is not possible to see everyone that is listed on the same day. You will be very disappointed if you arrive expecting to see everyone performing that day.

5. Stake out a spot for a popular band that you really want to see. The fields are flat, not sloped (they are polo fields, after all). This means if you're short you're not going to see anything. Figure out where the band you most want to see is playing, and get there well ahead of time. Otherwise, you will be a mile from the stage and will have to watch the show on the tv screens.

6. Everything people say about the heat is true. Hats, light clothes, comfortable shoes and drinking water are essential. Coachella is 1/3 music, 1/3 a fun experience, and 1/3 survival.

7. Be patient and considerate and it will come back to you. -- J
    1/3 survival? it's coachella, not vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by boardpass View Post

About #3, apparently you can sit in there the entire day. There is no point in leaving. It is a huge space to find a place to chill or just hang out.

vinylmartyr

Don't forget about chafing. Chafing sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    Don't forget about chafing. Chafing sucks.

first time as well. I've already got the ganj smuggling planned out, but how would I go about bringing in alcohol. I could wash out a sunblock bottle and fill it with tequila. any other ideas?

Only been there once and the things i learned are:

1.program your pissing, it sucks to be in the middle of a great set and feel like your bladder is about to blow.

2.eat light before the show or you will get the shits by the time the major acts are starting and also consider that by then, all the port-a-potties will be basically a pool of piss, not the best place to take a dump.

3.sunblock, sneakers, a hat and sunglasses are crucial.

vinylmartyr

thats pretty much right on.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    it is bad in the tents - people just sit there and drip.
    Bring a tiny portable fan that you can wear around your neck. We brought a couple cheap ones and were able to bring them in. It helps with the heat.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 01-29-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: replaced "fan" with "necK"
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by farmer dan View Post
    first time as well. I've already got the ganj smuggling planned out, but how would I go about bringing in alcohol. I could wash out a sunblock bottle and fill it with tequila. any other ideas?
    no one ever grabs at your junk - whatever you can fit under your nutsack/between your cheeks is getting in...

old school

why anyone would want to get silly drunk off tequila in 100+ degree weather is absurd.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    why anyone would want to get silly drunk off tequila in 100+ degree weather is absurd.
    well obviously not in the day time or evening during the shows, thats for the greenery. but I wouldn't mind having somethin' to swig on at night

The first year I went ('04) I brought a bunch of cash for booze, but after sitting in the sun for four hours I had no desire to drink anything but water. Really all you need is money for food and merch, a backpack to cary stuff in, comfortable shoes, and the foreknowledge that its going to be crazy hot.

Haven't been to Coachella before, but have been to PLENTY of festivals. One thing that you should at least pack in your general belongings, if not bring with you during the day, is bandage tape for blisters! If you insist on wearing sandals, or otherwise don't have good shoes, your feet will be mighty thankful for a couple of patches of good medical tape, and you'll be good to go!

If you're a chick or someone that plans on pooping at the festival, a small amount of TP or kleenex might be a good idea in case the portapotty is out.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

ooh, fa sho. alcoholics are gonna have the mad shits after drinkin' beer all night and wakin' up in the heat. I can only imagine the putrid stinch flowing from the portapotties by friday evening
    threw you the obvious, and you flew with it on your back.

take a towel. either to wipe your sweaty face or wet to cool you down.