Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2010

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2010

jigawig - So are you planning on going to Fuji this year?

Some more bands are leaking information regarding the dates they'll play. Here's what the collective efforts of the Japanese Interwebs have dredged up so far, in addition to gweilo's Belle and Sebastian discovery.

Broken Social Scene - Friday
    http://www.myspace.com/brokensocialscene

Flogging Molly - Saturday
    http://www.floggingmolly.com/

Yeasayer - Sunday
    http://www.myspace.com/yeasayer

It would sort of suck if Belle and Sebastian and Yeasayer conflicted because I want to see them both, but I'm assuming that, unless I'm underestimating Yeasayer's popularity in Japan, B&S's set will be later in the day than them.

And Parachute's myspace page has them playing all three days.

http://www.myspace.com/parachute

Based just on the one song I heard on YouTube, I can't see them playing Naeba Shokudo, Crystal Palace, Mokudotei etc. So it's possible that they're just listing all three days for now until the actual dates are announced.

well id like to go. if i can score some cheap airfare it is def a possibility. however, i just dont know how cheap one can fly from the states to japan.
    2007: Coachella, Voodoo
    2008: Bonnaroo, ACL
    2009: Jam Cruise, Bonnaroo, Voodoo
    2010: Jam Cruise, Coachella, Sasquatch, Nocturnal, Voodoo
    2011: Nocturnal, Fun Fun Fun Fest
    2012: Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Fun Fun Fun Fest
    2013: TomorrowWorld, ACL

Lurker

Just a question regarding buying tix from overseas. Would it be fine to buy/order the tickets in, say, 2 or 3 weeks? I don’t have quite enough money together yet but don’t want to miss out if they tend to sell out quickly. Will borrow money from mum if I have to! haha

Can anyone shed some light?

well fuck me in a handbasket
    they got belle & sebastian
    last.fm/user/killakat

Hmm, sounds cramped.

listenup, you should be fine for tickets. I think I usually get mine around April/ May. Pay attention to the site though, just in case they make some crazy announcement that they're close to capacity this year.

Lurker

Great - will do.

Thanks!

Yeah, I doubt that tickets will sell out within the next few weeks. If it does sell out (a very big if), it won't be until much later on.

Alright, here's a pretty big date leak. Massive Attack are confirmed for Sunday.

http://www.myspace.com/massiveattack

This leaves open the possibility that they could be the closer instead of a headliner. I'm fine either way - I'm just terrified of a Massive Attack / Belle and Sebastian conflict, which is starting to look very possible now...

that would be one hell of a blunder if Massive Attack and Belle & Sebastian conflicted...
    Rhythm is a dancer.

I'm hoping that Massive Attack would be the headliner and Gorillaz the closer. People would want to leave the festival in a bit more of an upbeat mood, right?

As for Belle & Sebastian, my guess is they're a 7:30pm Green Stage band ... though they could be a White Stage headliner.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, Gorillaz would make an excellent closer. Of course, they could just as well be headed for Summer Sonic for all we know.

Speaking of which, Summer Sonic is due to release their lineup on March 15. So we still have some ways to go I guess. They'll be dropping hints in the next week though, to test our sleuthing skills or whatever. The following acts are rumored for SS so far: Orbital, Sum 41, a-ha, OK Go, Hudson Mohawke, Tahiti 80.

I'm not really sure to what extent the source is reliable, but rumor has it that MGMT might be confirmed for Fuji Rock.

And Summer Sonic has released their hints. One of them is a an extremely influential band, highly respected by other musicians, and the writer used to listen to a cassette tape of their music whilst driving to the beach. Their first appearance at Summer Sonic. The other one is a solo artist who has played SS before with his/her band, but as a solo entity, this will also be their first appearance at Summer Sonic. Both acts will play the Sonic Stage.

The prevailing opinion is that the second hint is referring to Jonsi (of Sigur Ros). Not sure about the first one, but the names that have been thrown around include the Beach Boys (not a Sonic Stage band), the Ventures (ditto), and the Pixies (this could be it).

Are the Pixies touring again? Hadn't heard.

Re: the solo act, has Radiohead played SS before? I realize the new project isn't exactly Thom Yorke solo, though.

Yep, the Pixies are touring. There were actually rumors about them playing Summer Sonic. If they're still performing Doolittle, then I'll have to see this.

Radiohead has indeed played Summer Sonic before (I think TeamCoachella said that he saw them there). But given that Sonic Stage is sort of like the equivalent of Fuji's Red Marquee, I think even a headlining slot at Sonic would be too small for Thom Yorke. Jonsi apparently said in an interview that he'll be coming to Japan in the summer, so people over here have pretty much concluded that it's him.

Summer Sonic released another set of hints today. I'm too lazy to translate them right now, but the consensus seems to be that those hints are referring to Dream Theater, Slash, and Orianthi. Those three were unlikely to play Fuji anyway, so I guess this doesn't affect us much.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 03-09-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

I was. I was there for this:

beyond intense.

incase embed isn't working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WdDxfXhaDg
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 03-09-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Oh yeah, the Doolittle thing. I know the Pixies played Fuji a few years back, and of course Kim Deal was here with the Breeders two years ago. I would LOVE for them to come back, but maybe it's SummerSonic's turn.

More Summer Sonic hints. These are all dance acts:

1) A major figure from the 90s techno scene. Has performed at Wire (a major Japanese techno festival) in the past

2) You'll see on his myspace page that he will be doing a three-day stint at a 5,000 capacity venue.

3) A band that can fill in Wembley Stadium.

The first one's probably Orbital, who are already all but confirmed for SS.

The lineups look great! You guys will have a lot of fun!

According to Internet consensus, the hints seem to be referring to:

1) Orbital
    2) deadmau5
    3) Pendulum

Back to Fuji Rock matters, Muse is confirmed for Friday:

http://muse.mu/gig/1015/2010-07-30/f...niigata-japan/

The new Summer Sonic hints were super easy. Offspring and Blackstar.

Offspring can go fuck themselves, but Blackstar? Summer Sonic, here I come. Too bad that the setting there sucks ass, but I'll just have to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    The new Summer Sonic hints were super easy. Offspring and Blackstar.

Offspring can go fuck themselves, but Blackstar? Summer Sonic, here I come. Too bad that the setting there sucks ass, but I'll just have to deal with it.
    The Blackstar? Gosh. If that means a chance for Splendour I'm excited.

Rumours for Splendour (which may help with Summer Sonic/Fuji Rock guessing): The Strokes, Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip, Bat For Lashes.
    Up Next: Cobra Starship, Gogol Bordello, Talib Kweli & Jean Grae

Well, the hint mentioned something about New York, Mos Burgers (a major Japanese fast-food chain) and Tully's Coffee. I realize that Talib = Tully's sounds like a stretch in English, but not in Japanese. This is the most obvious Summer Sonic hint so far; it has to be a lock.

And thanks a lot for the Splendour rumors. Hot Chip and LCD are of course already confirmed for Fuji and the Pixies are almost confirmed for Summer Sonic. If the Pumpkins are playing Splendur, then that probably rules them out for Fuji. The only headlining slot that's still open is Saturday (unless Massive Attack isn't a headliner), which pretty much makes this a logistical impossibility. I can see them as a possible Summer Sonic headliner though.

I'd rule out the Strokes too for similar reasons, unless they're willing to be demoted to a smaller slot. And of course, they're already ruled out for Summer Sonic thanks to Lolla.

Bat For Lashes would be a nice add for Fuji. Or Summer Sonic for that matter. Man, doing Fuji and SS two weekends in a row is going to be a real bitch...

Kiss and Jay-Z for Summer Sonic. Given that Jay-Z has done lots of festivals, I guess he's not much of a shocker, but Kiss is just...bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Kiss and Jay-Z for Summer Sonic. Given that Jay-Z has done lots of festivals, I guess he's not much of a shocker, but Kiss is just...bizarre.
    Summer Sonic tends to have bizarre headliners. Beyonce?

Sorry, can't read Nihon-go, does the main summer sonic site say line up release Monday, March 15th?
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Yeah, the first batch will be released next Monday. I'm going to have mixed feelings every time I see an act I like on the lineup (there's bound to be a few, amidst all the crapola). Being able to see them will be cool of course, but there's bound to be a shade of wistfulness in the knowledge that seeing them in the mountains of Naeba would be a much better experience.

Fuji rock will always be better then Summer Sonic because of the setting. You Can't beat those mountains.

Summer sonic felt more like going to a bunch of different concerts more than an altogether festival.

So, um, where are Kiss and Black Star? Not that I give a damn about Kiss, but I was promised Black Star and I want them.

They need to do better than this if they want me to attend Summer Sonic this year...

Summer Sonic had a fantastic line up last year. This year? Holy shit. What a fail of a lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Yeah I had heard that they were really struggling with the booking, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

I mean, I'd still probably go to Fuji Rock even if the lineup is sub-par because I know I'll enjoy myself anyway.

But Summer Sonic with a bad lineup is just a huge waste of time.