Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official 30 Workouts in 30 Days Thread

Default TomAz's Official 30 Workouts in 30 Days Thread

As I have mentioned elsewhere around here I have lost some weight over the past 18 months. I have been exercising. I'm not running marathons but I have gotten to where I am walking 4+ miles a day including a lot of hills.

Walking is boring, especially if you're doing it inside on a treadmill. So when I got started I made a Treadmill mix. After a week that got pretty old, so I made another. then a few more then I hit on the idea I would make 30, one for each day of the month. So i did that in the summer of 08, made 30 mixes, and have gradually refined, altered, modified, and expanded them over time. So now I have 30 mixes of one hour each. And, aren't you lucky, I'm going to share them with you, one a day for the next 30 days.

The program that works for me goes like this: start calm, stay light, move to bouncy, and then increase the intensity, and finish with a cooldown song that is happy or triumphant or something. So yeah it's silly, so what. But these are not dance mixes, if you need a beat to time your workout to, these mixes won't work. It's for the mind.

I have managed, for the most part, to avoid keep playing the same band over and over. So over 30 mixes, no band shows up more than 3 times. There are two big exceptions to this that we will see in a few days.

Also, very little of what you see in these mixes is unusual or rare or anything. It's the programming, the way they fit together that might be of interest. Most of you would be able to reproduce them out of your existing music without downloading the mix.

Treadmill #1

1. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
    2. Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Yalla Yalla
    3. Leonard Cohen - First We Take Manhattan
    4. Squarepusher - My Red Hot Car
    5. Beck - Que Onda Guero
    6. James Brown - Think (live)
    7. The Modern Lovers - Modern World
    8. LCD Soundsystem - Us v Them
    9. Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks
    10. The Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death
    11. Mastadon - Aqua Dementia
    12. Roxy Music - 2HB
    Last edited by TomAz; 01-01-2010 at 06:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: TomAz's Official 30 Workouts in 30 Days Thread

Hmmm.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

hahaha none of those songs are on my ipod.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

This is a good idea. And I actually have trouble with anything with too much of a dance beat, because I start speeding up involuntarily and my old fat heart starts rising above my target rate.

I put my Ipod on shuffle a few days ago and got the most intense mix.
    My heart was beating so fast it scared me. I am soooo out of shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Great idea, Tom, and thanks for sharing. I've got 3 of those songs but look forward to those other 9. Do you do any weight lifting or do you simply walk for an hour to get all of your exercise in?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Downloaded.

Thanks, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

thanks, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Great idea, Tom, and thanks for sharing. I've got 3 of those songs but look forward to those other 9. Do you do any weight lifting or do you simply walk for an hour to get all of your exercise in?
    No, just the cardio. At some point when I have more time I will describe it more in detail in terms of weekly goals, heart rate zones, etc.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm looking forward to an updated picture of the New improved Tom, sprinting acrossed the polo field next year!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

somebody photoshop this onto the polo grounds for BD.

This is cute. Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    somebody photoshop this onto the polo grounds for BD.

See how you are, Tom? What I really wanted to do was create my own version of this, but nooooo....You'd prefer to be a sprinting black fellow instead. Let's see how that works under that Coachella sun! LOL

BTW...Happy New Year! Jack La Layne will be sooo proud!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

this is fantastic tom. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The program that works for me goes like this: start calm, stay light, move to bouncy, and then increase the intensity, and finish with a cooldown song that is happy or triumphant or something. So yeah it's silly, so what. But these are not dance mixes, if you need a beat to time your workout to, these mixes won't work. It's for the mind.
    Can it help me stop smoking?
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I really like that Mastodon is on the first mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

It's a really good mix! Just kidding about the smoking thing...
    I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    See how you are, Tom? What I really wanted to do was create my own version of this, but nooooo....You'd prefer to be a sprinting black fellow instead. Let's see how that works under that Coachella sun! LOL
    that's not a "sprinting black fellow", you idiot. that's the fastest human being of all time.

Treadmill #2

1. Luka Bloom - I Need Love
    2. Thom Yorke - The Clock
    3. Can - Oh Yeah
    4. Kraftwerk - Tour de France
    5. Tom Waits - Big in Japan
    6. Swans - Beautiful Child
    7. Akron/Family - Everyone is Guilty
    8. The White Stripes - My Doorbell
    9. The Pogues - Bottle of Smoke
    10. The Damned - I Just Can't Be Happy Today
    11. Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster
    12. The Buzzcocks - Harmony in My Head
    12. The Beatles - Dear Prudence

Tom Waits followed by Swans might be a little much for some people. An Irish folk singer covering LL Cool J might be a little much for many people.

For me the highlight of this mix is the bridge in "Alternative Ulster", when Jake Burns sings "They say they're a part of you / That's not true you know / They say they got control of you / That's a lie you know". Moments like that are like a little injection of adrenaline, which can really help when you're tired and the burst helps to finish the day's exercise.

Two for two so far, Tom.

I do the same sort of thing, set up workout playlists, tire of them, then begin anew. You're saving me quite a lot of work for the next little while here.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I realize I will probably figure this out on my own shortly but what length did you go for with your mixes?

I have, inspired by your talk of this earlier, started to make my own mixes. I do 30 minute sessions on an arc machine so I have mixes - now half a dozen - that are just over 30 minutes long plus a few songs of cool down so I don't have to switch anything out as I finish my workout with weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

they're an hour. they started at 45 mins but have grown. Warmup & cooldown built in.

Are you meditating during "Dear Prudence"?
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Gregory, why do they say "deceased" when it basically breaks down to mean un-ended? Shouldn't it then refer only to mythological reanimation? I don't know what's going on here.

I know what's going on here now. Nevermind. Hello.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 01-02-2010 at 04:41 PM.

i imagine dear prudence would make a good cool down song.

I got a post from Greg!!!!!!!!!!!in my thread!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    that's not a "sprinting black fellow", you idiot. that's the fastest human being of all time.
    Yes, crazzz, it is a sprinting black fellow since I didn't know his name off the top of my head. Funny thing though...While he may have the fastest legs for running, he certainly can't hold a candle to you when you start running your mouth. Why don't you enlighten me with your knowledge instead of calling me an idiot, and then from there, unless you'd prefer I call you Bitch from now on, you can start calling me Brokendoll like everyone else.

Great idea, and you already won me over with the Roxy Music in the first mix.

Treadmill #3

1. Treefingers
    2. Nude
    3. I Am Citizen Insane
    4. All I Need
    5. Packt Like Sardines..
    6. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
    7. I Might Be Wrong
    8. Street Spirit
    9. Bangers & Mash
    10. 2+2=5
    11. Paranoid Android
    12. My Iron Lung
    13. Electioneering
    14. How to Disappear Completely

This is the most ho-hum mix you'll get from me. You see, at one point I tried making band-specific mixes for my workouts. This one (and #4 tomorrow) are the results. Everything after that though will be back to the mix-of-artists approach. I was going to change these two but I decided I liked them too much. But, yeah, on this board, this one is not going to open anyone's eyes.

Starting a workout with "Treefingers" is not as weird as it might seem on the surface. I find it works really well, actually. Really cleanses the mind from the distractions of the day and lets me just enjoy the here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    Yes, crazzz, it is a sprinting black fellow since I didn't know his name off the top of my head. Funny thing though...While he may have the fastest legs for running, he certainly can't hold a candle to you when you start running your mouth. Why don't you enlighten me with your knowledge instead of calling me an idiot, and then from there, unless you'd prefer I call you Bitch from now on, you can start calling me Brokendoll like everyone else.
    This is where I take over as the residential sprinter and olympic hopeful (even though my pre-2016 plans got fucked up on account of going to Japan for 2 years or so).

That man is Usain Bolt from Jamaica. He is a fucking freak. He has broken the 100m WR an astonishingly 3 times in 3 years by margins scientists thought were either unheard of or, at the very least, not to happen for another century or so.

Since he started taking the 100m seriously, here has been the progression of the WR

This video sucks, but it gets the job done

Won't let me embed, but this was in Berlin this past August at the World Championships and is entertaining as shit to watch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuf5QAXkZKs

So for as long as I've been cognizant of it, the 100m WR progression is as follows
    9.79 Maurice Greene (USA), 9.76 Asafa Powell (JAM), 9.74 Asafa Powell, 9.72 Usain Bolt (JAM), 9.69 Usain Bolt, 9.58 Usain Bolt. I believe Carl Lewis (USA) had it before Greene did with 9.84, but can't be bothered to look right now.

You may think a couple hundreths of a second isn't shit, but when you're running at about 27 mph, the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.5 is huge.

OF COURSE, let's not forget the fact that he was namely a 200m runner beforehand.

Once again, from Berlin this past August:

200m WR progression is
    19.32 Michael Johnson (USA), 19.30 Usain Bolt (2008), 19.19 Usain Bolt (2009)

Keep in mind that Michael Johnson set this record in 1996 and it was thought to be another decade before anyone came close, let alone drop a 19.19. Dude has been breaking records almost since his years as a junior, and while he's taken a bit of the backseat pre-2007 in his professional career, no one can say shit, now. It's almost unfair how ridiculous this guy is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.