Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeasayer!

old school

Default Yeasayer!

Yes, it is happening. Yes, we need a thread about it.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Default Re: Yeasayer!

Their album coming out in 2010 is the shit.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

We're going to see them in LA next month.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    We're going to see them in LA next month.
    See them at Rhythm Room too. I'll bet that show will be great in such a small venue.

We're going to be in LA anyway and the show it at some small art museum or something.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I love their first album and the soon-to-be-released album is pretty decent. Almost all of the video I've seen of them, though, is pretty shitty. The first video in the thread is pretty good. I have this fear that I'd be disappointed if I saw them. They butchered one of my favorite songs ever, "2080," on Jools Holland. They made it sound like a lounge version and the singing was awful.

Last edited by TommyboyUNM; 12-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.

old school

yeah i saw that video too^ but if you look at the video in my first post they sound great. (same night on Jools Holland)

I just hope they play after dark, hopefully in the gobi

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

They've done a lot of festivals. I saw them last June outdoors in between Calexico and the Decemberists, and they were great. Would love to see them at Coachella but think they're Mohave or even early on the Outdoor -?

We're going to be in LA anyway and the show it at some small art museum or something.
    Yes, this is better. Cause its CHEAP.

Yeah Tommy, that version of 2080 on Jools Holland is pretty crappy. But that Sunrise video (posted above), from the same episode, is pretty awesome. Trust me. They are better live than on album.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I will vouch for their live performances as well, they're pretty dynamic on stage.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    but if you look at the video in my first post they sound great. (same night on Jools Holland)
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    But that Sunrise video (posted above), from the same episode, is pretty awesome.
    I know, you guys. I mentioned that in my post. That might be the only good video I've seen of them.

I'm sure they're better live than I think, Josh, but I highly doubt they are better than on record. They just don't seem to replicate my favorite parts about the music.

I saw them once when they were juuuust starting to tour, and then once near the end of their touring for All Hour Cymbals, and the singer's voice grew by leaps and bounds over that time; his voice and stage presence went from being a live liability to actually quite solid.

The rest of the band is pretty good live. They're never going to be able to fully replicate the depth/texture that's going on in the albums, but I don't think most people expect them to. Lots of "texture" bands figure out ways to change up their style live (TVOTR speeds everything up and makes it afro-beat-y, for example).

Not quite small, but yes, its going to be a great show!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

its all ive been listening to for the last week... theyre incredible. Those Jools vids are ok, 2080 gets good after the first verse. Otherwise i feel what ur saying.

this has been one of my fav vids so far....

Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Holy crap. That is definitely the best live performance of that song I have heard.

I cannot wait to see these guys live again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

had to buy the album, got it yesterday.... Wait for the Summer is def a great song on the album, but that live version is a lot better. Im soo excited to see these guys!!!!
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

They're confirmed playing at The Fillmore here in San Francisco on 4/17/10, which makes a polo fields appearance v.v. likely....yay!!
    Coachella: '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '010, '011
    '012

|~ ~|

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    I really like this song, could be my favorite off their new album. I'd love to see them live.

old school

Ambling Alp is an amazing song, I LOVE the bridge. The video is also fucking cool.

For 2011

I was a massive fan of their first album and the new album is definitely a major change but still a great album in it's own right. I actually think Odd Blood would be an easier listen for new people trying to check them out. Awesome live, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt lip View Post
    I was a massive fan of their first album and the new album is definitely a major change but still a great album in it's own right. I actually think Odd Blood would be an easier listen for new people trying to check them out. Awesome live, can't wait!
    Whats Odd Blood...? Im relatively new to this band, but cant get enough. Ive got the singles off the new album and "All Hour Cymbals"... if theres some other stuff out there point me in the right direction

odd blood is their very good second lp. it's not out yet (read: its out yet). i read it criticized as "gay" in another thread, which while kinda true only adds to the album's level of awesome.

well yeah, when i frist heard Ambling Alp i was a little tripped out. Almost a completely different sound, a little more poppy. But after a few listens it really grew on me. I anticipate the majority of the album will have the same feel.

Is there anything pre-"All Hour Cymbals" that i should check out, or is all that material impossible to find?

nothing before "all hour cymbals". "Odd Blood" has leaked already which is shitty but if you like it, pick up the hard copy when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    well yeah, when i frist heard Ambling Alp i was a little tripped out. Almost a completely different sound, a little more poppy. But after a few listens it really grew on me. I anticipate the majority of the album will have the same feel.

Is there anything pre-"All Hour Cymbals" that i should check out, or is all that material impossible to find?
    I was/am listening to odd blood, carousing the boards and found this. Like everyone here I am completely enamored with this band, but I'm working backwards with yeasayer. Ambling hooked me, downloaded the odd blood album, and just took off from there. So stoked to here they're even better live.

About your imagining the album is the same... It's actually kinda not. Which is very cool. It's the initial thing that hooked me... The variety. The first opening track, children, haha that's some eerie shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

Cant wait to see these guys next week at NHM!
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Ambling Alp good, O.N.E. even gooder. anyone else get a sorta cutcopyesque vibe from that track?

ODD BLOOD kicks soo much ass. I. cannot. wait.
    'I remember' is gonna be epic overloadous
    LIL' B