Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Travel 2010

  1. #1
    Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,350

    Default Travel 2010

    Post your travel tips, questions, concerns, deals, etc. in here.

    Seattle peeps: Alaska Air has direct flights to Palm Springs Apr. 15 and Apr. 19 for $100 each way right now. I just booked mine, deals.

  2. #2
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,554

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Tampa Jan 9 (wedding dress fitting)
    San Francisco Jan 30
    L.A. Feb 3-5
    Coachella
    Bahamas 11/8

    I'm trying to cut down on the travel this year to save for the wedding.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    If anyone is ever looking for a cruise, I'm a travel agent and book cruises (specifically). I can always cut a bordie a deal... I would never spam this shit, but since its a travel thread I thought I would lend out a helping hand if anyone is in need.

  4. #4
    old school Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nyc metro area
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    I saw a flight on Southwest for $300 round trip that I need to pursue ASAP. Keep in mind I am on the east coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    That's pretty cheap, I would book that shit. Southwest always has good deals. If by random chance the rates go down, they issue you a credit for your next trip. Which is way solid.

  6. #6
    old school Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nyc metro area
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    And they have an excellent track record. I wouldn't fly anything else (AA) if you paid me.
    Last edited by Grant; 12-25-2009 at 08:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    I always fly Southwest. But, I'm in Phoenix.

  8. #8
    Member flowbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle/Palm Springs
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Post your travel tips, questions, concerns, deals, etc. in here.

    Seattle peeps: Alaska Air has direct flights to Palm Springs Apr. 15 and Apr. 19 for $100 each way right now. I just booked mine, deals.

    Alaska rules. I got a round trip non-stop ticket from Seattle to PSP for $199 including tax.

    The only travel concern I have is the Friday Coachella commute to the polo grounds. I've gotten hammered the last two years (2 hours+ in traffic) but finally have a "back way" mastered.
    Last edited by flowbee; 12-27-2009 at 06:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Member yeahfontaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Flowbee, check your pm's.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Hey,

    I am an Australian, hoping to get tickets to Coachella 2010. As I'm not familiar with the festival could someone give me some tips or recommendations on transport to and from the festival.

    What USA airlines should I be checking for decent prices?
    Or should I possibly hire a car? Or even try to car pool?

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,554

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Check "Visitor Info" on the main page.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  12. #12
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,554

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    For all travelers out there, I'm finding some RIDICULOUS deals on this website:

    http://www.lastminutetravel.com/

    Way better than my airline employee discounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  13. #13
    old school ELECtROjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Having just popped my Virgin America cherry I can honestly say I will not fly another airline to one of their locations. The flight attendants were attractive, their flights cheaper or competitive with Southwest, and everyone who worked there was incredibly helpful. Flew from San Francisco to Las Vegas for $49/ way and upgraded to Main Cabin Select for $30 more on the ride there. Unlimited food and drinks meant doing shots with everyone in the area, followed by two rounds and appetizers made for the most enjoyable flying experience Ive had. And their OnDemand movie, tv, and music service is great also.
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

  14. #14
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,554

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Take advantage of it soon; I hear they're going to be out of business soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  15. #15
    lowfront
    Guest

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    my girlfriend wants to go to costa rica in the middle of feb......

    little too soon for me as I have no money saved...

    idk

  16. #16
    old school Cdubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hanford, CA
    Posts
    3,259

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    tell her to pay

    July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

  17. #17
    Member slurpee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    1,368

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by jarmac View Post
    Hey,

    I am an Australian, hoping to get tickets to Coachella 2010. As I'm not familiar with the festival could someone give me some tips or recommendations on transport to and from the festival.

    What USA airlines should I be checking for decent prices?
    Or should I possibly hire a car? Or even try to car pool?

    Thanks
    Try to fly Air Pacific. I found airfare from Brisbane to LA for $500. Plus I was able to layover in Fiji for a few days
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

  18. #18

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by slurpee View Post
    Try to fly Air Pacific. I found airfare from Brisbane to LA for $500. Plus I was able to layover in Fiji for a few days
    Nice price! I found a good deal on a round-the-world trip, so just need to find a LA>Palm Springs flight though.

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    20,678

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Take advantage of it soon; I hear they're going to be out of business soon enough.
    I'll be very sorry to see that happen. I've loved flying Virgin America. Guess they haven't ever really made any money?

  20. #20
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,554

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    No, they're largely unprofitable and always have been. They can't charge enough to cover the perks they offer, much less a base flight. Think about how cheap Southwest is, and then think about the perks they offer. None. If VA is charging less for their seats and then offering amenities on top of it, they're screwed. The amenity driven business model for airlines basically ended with deregulation in the late 70's.

    I mean, it costs an airline about $100-300 in fuel each way on a cross country flight alone. Per person-based on fluctuating oil prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  21. #21
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    20,678

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Amenities in terms of free music & tv, soft drinks? They do not do free food or movies (except in first class). I don't know anything about the airline industry but it seems like they do not charge enough to make a profit on long-haul trips, and as well they charge substantially less for last minute fares than almost all of the other airlines. I always assumed that was where a decent chunk of the profit margin per flight was -- the half dozen people who will be charged ~$1500 for a ticket for booking without advance notice.

  22. #22
    old school emtgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,513

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    People want cheap fares, but would rather give subsidies to other, older, service corporations. Ie, we dump billions into the railroads, trillions into the banks, BUT OH NOES SOCIALIZM if someone suggests giving money to the airlines.

    Wah.
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

    Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies


  23. #23
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    20,678

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Well, if we're going to dump billions into travel subsidies, I'd rather it be into high speed trains. Where is our damned SF <-> LA bullet train?!

  24. #24
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,554

    Default Re: Travel 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Amenities in terms of free music & tv, soft drinks? They do not do free food or movies (except in first class). I don't know anything about the airline industry but it seems like they do not charge enough to make a profit on long-haul trips, and as well they charge substantially less for last minute fares than almost all of the other airlines. I always assumed that was where a decent chunk of the profit margin per flight was -- the half dozen people who will be charged ~$1500 for a ticket for booking without advance notice.
    They don't charge enough to cover their bases. They can't - right now. Last year, there were too many seats in the air and because of the high fuel prices, they were losing money had over foot. People refused to pay higher fares, so airlines were forced to severely cut capacity amenities (like we had to take the inflight entertainment equipment off of all our A321's because it was too heavy and cost too much in fuel). Now that fuel is down to $79 a barrel again, the problem is that-even though there are less seats available in the air-people won't pay higher fares because of the economy. Those people that will pay $1500 for a ticket are in one category-business travel. Business travel is down YOY around 10%-that's a huge amount when your bread and butter is the business traveler.

    Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    People want cheap fares, but would rather give subsidies to other, older, service corporations. Ie, we dump billions into the railroads, trillions into the banks, BUT OH NOES SOCIALIZM if someone suggests giving money to the airlines.

    Wah.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Well, if we're going to dump billions into travel subsidies, I'd rather it be into high speed trains. Where is our damned SF <-> LA bullet train?!
    Yeah, high speed trains are a nice idea but a) it would take years and years to develop just the one route and b) the high speed trains can't support the volume of people and cargo that the airlines can. What a lot of people don't realize is that your baggage isn't the only thing that goes in the cargo hold of a plane. We carry millions of pounds of cargo for FedEx, the USPS, and individual organizations that ship cargo directly (at any given time there could be a dead body in the cargo hold). A financial collapse in the airline industry would cause an enormous amount of issues.

    Not to mention the extremely outdated aircraft tracking system that the FAA still uses. Christ, they still use radar to track aircraft-and their systems weren't designed to handle the amount of traffic it does. It's only a matter of time before there's an in-air accident. I suspect that'll be the thing that prompts the government to spend the millions required to update the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Similar Threads

  1. The Travel Thread
    By SoulDischarge in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 2481
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM
  2. Time Travel
    By unitedwestand in forum Polls
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM
  3. Travel from England
    By joggs1 in forum Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
  4. Travel from ontario???
    By ov3rdose in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •