Page 1 of 27 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Christmas/Holiday Spirit Thread

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default The Christmas/Holiday Spirit Thread

so this is the thread where we get excited for christmas & the holidays!!! MP's request in the default thread for christmas tree pictures made me want a whole thread devoted to the holidays.

i want to hear about what you're giving, what you get, the food, your crazy family, pictures of your christmas trees, your mantles, your exterior lighting and your lovely fireside family pictures. mocking of the christmas spirit is also welcome

we're doing dinner at my place for the first time ever. it's going to be cornish hens & we're going shopping this weekend. i'm nervous cause i've never cooked a big piece of meat for the holidays =/

this year, i'm giving pretty cheap since i'm broke:

• dad - emergency roadside kit with all sorts of fun gadgets for him to play with & a funny "how to do shit" book
    • mom - owl nightlight from brighton collectibles, a silver bee pin from the same store and gingerbread man bath bubbles. i also got her a small mirror & notebook that's cute.
    • brother that's coming to town - the onion's "our stupid world" atlas. it's hilarious so far.
    • my girlfriends - a star wars stormtrooper lego watch, urban decay eyeshadow kit, a magic mushrooms book filled with mushroom art and a calligraphy set.
    • co-workers - m&m candy holders that are also battery operated fans. for the secret santa exchange, i got my soon to be new boss & got him a sonic gift card. i got my boss some samples of various margarita flavourings.
    • randy's mom - hallmark 2009 ornament that looks like a gingerbread house & an arizona cactus type ornament
    • randy - it's a surprise

and here is my tree (which i already posted in the default thread):

happy holidays everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Default Re: The Christmas/Holiday Spirit Thread

I got the Onion atlas last year. It's fuckin hysterical. Great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

We will probably have a fireplace in my resort room in Sedona, so I will take pics of that on Xmas weekend for the thread. (<--smiley for Tom's benefit)

My family of 4 is escaping to Sedona on Christmas weekend but on that Sedona we're supposed to do some huge post-Christmas extravanganza with Jacob's family.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Young blood

I am really trying to get in the spirit but it isn't working. I have told my kids that christmas is canceled till February. Even here at work, usually most offices do a holiday party and the month between thanksgiving and christmas you end up with a shit ton of treats from vendors. But not this year. The only treat we have gotten was a plate of football shaped chocolate rice crispy treats. They tasted like burnt ass. Happy Holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Fake or real tree? Green or flocked? I usually like real tree's better...I grew up getting flock trees, but the last few years, we've stuck with standard non-flocked trees. A couple years ago, we didn't get a tree and instead used our cat's house/tower to put the presents under, true story.

I love christmas time, but this year is extremely lacking for me.
    Just been one hot mess the past few months.
    Just realized its pretty much a week 'til then.

I will carry on with my yearly tradition of watching Home Alone 1 and 2, Jingle All The Way, A Christmas Movie, The Santa Clause, and misc. xmas tv episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

My old boss in oregon owned land with christmas trees, so one year for christmas he decided to be nice and give us all trees. I got mine home, I was single at the time with two very small children, I lug them up the stairs, then the tree. Once I get it up there I start looking at it trying to figure out how to fit the big fat base of the tree into the small tree holder I had. Then I took a butcher knife to the base of the tree. While sawing and hacking away I notice there are a ton of needles all over my floor already. Then I look closer and the needles were moving. Apparently he gave me a dead tree that was full of little worms. I freaked the fuck out, threw the tree over my balcony of my apartment and never owned another tree again. True story.

we had our potluck today. i had a doctor's appointment so i was kinda late, but the secret santa exchange was a whole lot more fun than the normal white elephant gift exchange. those can get nasty if people get competitive about getting the "good" gifts. tomorrow our boss is taking us to

and i'm definitely a fake tree kind of gal. i'm not a fan of the smell of pine, i like to put my tree up early and i don't like cleaning up needles!

i was excited this year to get a white, fake tree, i've always wanted one

speaking of christmas movies, i've already watched christmas vacation and the ref to get me in the spirit!!!

I'll be in Cefn Llecoediog, Snowdonia Valley, North Wales over the holiday season. No TV, no internet, no live music (although Robert Palmer is a local. I wonder if I can persuade him to do a show in the barn?).

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

that picture with the fog is gorgeous. unfortunately we'll have no cable or internet at my house as well cue to brokeness

This year I am giving this chain-link scarf (knit by me), one Leonard Cohen CD/DVD set, a couple of multitools, one custom photo book printed with photos from a trip I went on with the recipients, one set of handmade coasters from Etsy, one set of decorative tea towels with heron silhouettes on them, several pairs of earrings (also made by me), one ugly picture frame (cop-out, but it's hard to shop for old people), one copy of Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation, one wooden elephant jigsaw puzzle (to a one-year old), and one assembled-by-me detective kit with a very professional letter of recruitment to my "agency" on false letterhead (to a seven year old).

oOoOoO, you make jewelry? what a great thing to give, i've always wanted to do that. the dective kit DEFINITELY wins the thread though. how freaking adorable.

I bought a mini fake tree and some mini ornaments to take with us to Sedona. I haven't told my kids about it yet, want to surprise them. We didn't feel like putting up our normal fake tree this year at home.

Hannah, I love that scarf. I think I will someday soon try to read through your knitting thread and attempt knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I bought a mini fake tree and some mini ornaments to take with us to Sedona. I haven't told my kids about it yet, want to surprise them. We didn't feel like putting up our normal fake tree this year at home.

Hannah, I love that scarf. I think I will someday soon try to read through your knitting thread and attempt knitting.
    It's surprisingly easy. It's just rectangles knit in a stitch that naturally curls on the edges, and then sewn together on the ends. It'd be a good starter project because it's in such small segments that if you mess up the one you're working on, you don't have to feel bad about scrapping it.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    oOoOoO, you make jewelry? what a great thing to give, i've always wanted to do that. the dective kit DEFINITELY wins the thread though. how freaking adorable.
    Yeah. I've been making jewelry for most of my life, though not as often now that I've gone back to school. This is the last thing I made that I'm pleased with at all, and it was a while back. But next quarter I'm taking a metalsmithing class to advance my skills a bit.

I think I'm going to leave Morse code notes and other clues around for her after I give her everything.

Oh my god how I love the detective kit and all its ... accoutrements.....

I'm going up to Monterey to see my sister. My folks are flying in from VA today.
    So far I've gotten my sis a cookbook on Chilean food, as they are (Navy) moving there for a 3 year stint later in 2010, that wooden fake-food stuff to accompany my niece's retro-style kitchen set (from Santa), and some books on ballet for my mom who's in a dance-reading-phase.

We are doing Santa Maria-style Barbecue on Christmas Day.
    We do something like lasagna on xmas eve; that's our party/presents night.
    Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    A couple years ago, we didn't get a tree and instead used our cat's house/tower to put the presents under, true story.
    This is funny.

We have a living Colorado Blue Spruce that we keep on the patio the rest of the year. We won't bring it in until a couple of days before xmas; potted trees don't do well in the house for very long. It's a very handsome tree, but the needles are so stiff and sharp, it's practically like decorating a cactus. I'll post pics when the time comes.

I have to work xmas night, but we'll have everyone over for waffles and stuff in the morning, and see Fantastic Mr. Fox in the afternoon. My girls are home for the holidays now. Yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Hrmm. I should get a Christmas cactus.

Young blood

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    This is funny.

We have a living Colorado Blue Spruce that we keep on the patio the rest of the year. We won't bring it in until a couple of days before xmas; potted trees don't do well in the house for very long. It's a very handsome tree, but the needles are so stiff and sharp, it's practically like decorating a cactus. I'll post pics when the time comes.

I have to work xmas night, but we'll have everyone over for waffles and stuff in the morning, and see Fantastic Mr. Fox in the afternoon. My girls are home for the holidays now. Yay.
    You are pretty much the coolest mom ever.

I try. *bows*
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I'll be in Cefn Llecoediog, Snowdonia Valley, North Wales over the holiday season. No TV, no internet, no live music (although Robert Palmer is a local. I wonder if I can persuade him to do a show in the barn?).

If you can pull that off you must have magical powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Might as well face it, you're addicted to hogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

My dad is a huge train buff, so I'll probably get him some sort of model train, not exactly sure yet. I also got him that book "Into Thin Air" (thanks to Humanoid's recommendation), since he is/was an avid mountaineer, plus I always tell him he should take up reading again, and in past years I've gotten him other books which he said he would take the time to read, but never has.

Getting my sister a couple DVDs she said she wanted, and a French learning book (she wanted Rosetta Stone, but I'm not paying $600 for some software, and all the "illegal" ways of getting it never work right, so not gonna bother with it).

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Might as well face it, you're addicted to hogs.
    Man I was going to make a Robert Palmer joke but then you had to do it first. Thanks, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Snowdonia is a name you make up when someone asks you if you're going to be in town for the holidays and you don't want to go to their party.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I've been to northern Wales. It's beautiful, and there are tons of sheep. I hitchhiked there in a car with a pack of 10 year old boys.

every year i grossly underestimate how much time & how much paper it will take me to wrap presents. i was up until 12:30 & used every scrap :x

I need a shot of christmas spirit.

i made a god daymm song aboot Egg Nog

howz that for Xmas spirit??!?!?

http://www.myspace.com/bugmuzak
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.