Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: THE STONES

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Default Re: THE STONES

Wait, so a staging change is actually a reliable fact-based rumor thing?
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    Also i wouldn't even know how to attack the stage. Everyone knows that you attack coachella stages from the left but I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like the stones stage
    Word...
    DEF NOYZE

Quote Originally Posted by mfnalaska View Post
    You know what, NO. I saw the Stones at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago, and besides being a giant stupid spectacle, they were BORING. I like the Stones as much as anybody who loves the old, raw sound and knows how influential they were to a ton of bands who keep it sexy. But the thing we love about those records is best experienced that way, in THAT sound without all the adult contemporary backup singing and pyro and super-rehearsed howling and hyper-production. Seeing the Stones live killed the Stones for me. Sorry.
    Word...
    DEF NOYZE

If the Stones played Coachella for free, frankly, I would not care. I'd just see something else.

But the fact of the matter is that booking them will take up, without a doubt, SEVERAL MILLION DOLLARS of Coachella's already tight budget. Think of all the amazing bands Goldenvoice could book with that money instead of the Stones.

Please, please, please no.

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    Yes. Yesyesyes.
    Glad you agree Becca, I'll have all these albums in my ipod for our Coachella house this next year. We can sit by the pool groovin' to the Stones.
    There it is...
    I'm losing my edge...

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    Also i wouldn't even know how to attack the stage. Everyone knows that you attack coachella stages from the left but I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like the stones stage
    oh God, I didn't know there was a defined strategy...that's why I've never enjoyed anyone's set at Coachella. I approached the stage from various sides depending upon the specific crowd
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by esy191 View Post
    If the Stones played Coachella for free, frankly, I would not care. I'd just see something else.

But the fact of the matter is that booking them will take up, without a doubt, SEVERAL MILLION DOLLARS of Coachella's already tight budget. Think of all the amazing bands Goldenvoice could book with that money instead of the Stones.

Please, please, please no.
    where do you people get that headliners get paid millions and millionso f dollars. I doubt they will sacrifice anything so they can secure the Stones. Coachella will be fine.

The only thing i would worry about is if the Stones ensured a sell out then they wouldnt add shit for late additions. Like in '07.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

The Stones would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by beavington View Post
    where do you people get that headliners get paid millions and millionso f dollars. I doubt they will sacrifice anything so they can secure the Stones. Coachella will be fine.

The only thing i would worry about is if the Stones ensured a sell out then they wouldnt add shit for late additions. Like in '07.
    I many have been a bit hyperbolic with "SEVERAL MILLION DOLLARS," but I don't think it is completely off the mark.

Prince was paid 2 million dollars (most rumors said even higher), Rage was reportedly paid 1.5 million.

And if the rumors are true, the Stones would be bringing their own entire massive stage setup, which I'm sure ain't cheap.

My point is not that the Stones would force Coachella to sacrifice, but that it would limit them. If you book a massive massive headliner like the Stones then you have less money available for a high quality undercard. That's a fact.

I almost never see the headliners. I dislike seeing bands on the main stage in general. It's impersonal and it takes alot of the in-your-face feeling of the smaller tents out of each band experience.

Ex: Gogol Bordello '07 vs. Gogol Bordello '08. NO ONE who saw both would argue that '08 was better. The experience of seeing them in a half-filled tent with everyone, including myself, going nuts right next to the stage made me feel like that show was just for me. In '08 I stood 100-200 feet from the stage with my arms folded bobbing my head.

The last thing Coachella needs is to add an EVEN BIGGER stage and get an EVEN BIGGER band. Coachella has never been about scale, it's been about close and personal musical experiences.

I maintain that Coachella would be way better off (experientially if not ticket-sales-wise) booking a much smaller and cheaper headliner and focusing on better subs and undercard bands.

I understand it is still a business not my little dreamland (though it seems that way sometimes) and the Stones would guarantee a sellout for that day, if not for the entire festival. I just wish it wasn't about the money and was just about the music... maaan.

Young blood

The geriatric zone.

HAHA LOL OMG WTF BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post

KEEP THIS FUCKING ATROCITY AWAY FROM MY COACHELLA.
    Is that a parking structure????

LOLOL
    1999 - 2013, every day, every weekend, no regrets

Banned

Fuck the stones.
    LOU REED or NICK CAVE every day

There have been ZERO credible sources for any of the rumors involving the Stones or the re-staging.

Just people saying, a friend of friend's manager's cat's cousin's brother's aunt's shoe shine boy read on a blog that a guy having dinner next to the Stone's manager over heard a conversation that apparently had taken place with Phish's manager and some stoned guy who had no credentials yet everyone wanted to spill their secrets to him, blah, blah blah, etc.
    Last edited by Ardentbiscuit; 12-21-2009 at 11:45 PM.

the rolling stones are brilliant
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

Lightbulb Re: THE STONES

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    There have been ZERO credible sources for any of the rumors involving the Stones or the re-staging.

Just people saying, a friend of friend's manager's cat's cousin's brother's aunt's shoe shine boy read on a blog that a guy having dinner next to the Stone's manager over heard a conversation that apparently had taken place with Phish's manager and some stoned guy who had no credentials yet everyone wanted to spill their secrets to him, blah, blah blah, etc.

Great theory!!! espically about the guys moms cast twice removed from his aunts side once removed!!!

if the stones were to perform at coachella they would shatter attendence records. Before my comment is shot down heres the reason why.... all the ticket prices for stones concerts range from $60-$500 dollars. $100 dollars to see them would be crazy!!! Goldenvoice and the stones both know that they would reach newer various age demographics. Hence older patrons would continue to attend coachella because of the environment.
    Mick Jagger

I haven't seen The Rolling Stones in concert since 1974 when they played the Cleveland Stadium with The J. Geils Band, The Tower of Power, and Joe Vitalie's Madmen. I'd say I was due.........Golden Voice: Bring'em on!
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Quote Originally Posted by psychoc&ndy View Post
    the rolling stones are brilliant
    But old, Mick Jagger sounds like shit now. Being able to see them is a plus, but I would much rather have a different and more current headlinner.

Here is the opinion of me, and everyone who agrees with me: The Stones fucking rock. The Stones are absolute Icons of R&R; however, the Stones should stay the fuck away from Coachella*. Why? because of the multitude of mid-life crisis doctors and lawyers who have pockets full of money and will gladley buy up as many tickets as necessary, descend on the Polo fields in their dress socks, sandals, and leather 'Voodoo Lounge' Tour jackets, establish an impenetrable field of canvas chairs and fruit plates at the Main Stage, and totally marsh the whole fucking vibe. I don't need those assholes looking at me crosseyed when I stumble and fall on to their pic-nic blanket and spill their diet pepsi.

*The only way for GV to pull this off is with a very late add, a-la-Prince. In which case it would be very, very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by anadin View Post
    Whatevs message boards are gay

Has anyone else thought that there might be a connection between the lay-away ticket program and the Stones (potentially) playing? It occurred to me that this may be a way for GV to help its loyal base and economically challenged following to get tickets and beat out the Dr. Johnson's and scalpers who would otherwise suck up the tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Has anyone else thought that there might be a connection between the lay-away ticket program and the Stones (potentially) playing? It occurred to me that this may be a way for GV to help its loyal base and economically challenged following to get tickets and beat out the Dr. Johnson's and scalpers who would otherwise suck up the tickets.
    They had a layaway option last year. And your argument about the kind of fans at a Rolling Stones show is somewhat off mark. I'm not sure if you saw McCartney's set last year, but the crowd was EXTREMELY diverse, and I am fairly certain that people of all ages would be at the main stage watching them. While it would be expensive to book them, the Stones would make GV a lot of money, and if you don't want to watch them, there are 5 other acts you can go watch.

Ahh HA! Nice try, but I see through your thinly veiled disguise, "El.C.Dub"; or should I say Dr. El.C.Dub. YOU'RE ONE OF THEM, aren't you!?! Why don't you get back on your newly-bought Harley Davidson with your Crocs and 'Just for Men' hair coloring and go hang out with your divorcee-rocker-buddies! We will not be infiltrated by the likes of you!

Quote Originally Posted by El.C.Dub View Post
    ...if you don't want to watch them, there are 5 other acts you can go watch.
    You can't get rid of me that easy! Guess what! If the Stones play I will be there and I will rock! Get ready to have your chair stepped on and your pepsi spilled!

Smile Re: THE STONES

I like the Stones, but I also like this video. No offense.

hey guys! keep an eye out for me and my buddies. We will probably be smoking on a fat doobie!

Stones are amazing and groundbreaking no doubt. But, they would take away from other bands that could headline. Also, it would definitely take away from the budget, which may lead to thining out the rest of the line up for that day. I could be way off, but the Stones shouldn't play Coachealla. Voodoo Festival yes, Coachella no!

With tix being the same price, and GV probably having the same sponsers, how would the Stones make them anymore money???

Because they would sell more tix...

But pay way more to have them play. Plus, most of the Stones fans would probably just a single day pass, and not camp all weekend. If it was Bonnaroo, there really isn't an optoin, but with Coach they can just get a ticket for that day. I feel the key making the highest profit margin would be to book groups that would attract a larger group of fans that would indeed buy a weekend pass. I think the Stones are an amazing group, and would love to see "Paint It Black" just as much as the next person. But I don't think they fit in with Coach. Paul McCartney is a little different, he never tours, never. Stones tour all the time still.