Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's raining guy who are famous for having a famous uncle

Default It's raining guy who are famous for having a famous uncle

R.I.P. Roy

LOS ANGELES Roy E. Disney, the son and nephew of The Walt Disney Co. founders who twice led shareholder revolts that shook up the family business, died Wednesday. He was 79.

The Walt Disney Co. announced that Disney died in Newport Beach, Calif., after a bout with stomach cancer.

Although he generally stayed out of the spotlight, Roy Disney didn't hesitate to lead a successful campaign in 1984 to oust Walt Disney's son-in-law after concluding he was leading the company in the wrong direction.

Nearly 20 years later, he launched another successful shareholders revolt, this time against Michael Eisner, the man he'd helped bring in after the previous ouster.

Disney, born in 1930, had practically grown up with the company. His uncle Walt Disney and his father, Roy O. Disney, had co-founded the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio seven years before, later renaming it The Walt Disney Co.

Two years before he was born, the company gave birth to its iconic cartoon character, Mickey Mouse. While Walt was the company's creative genius, his brother was the one in charge of the company's finances.

Starting in the 1950s, the younger Roy Disney worked for years in the family business as an editor, screenwriter and producer. Two short films he worked on were nominated for Academy Awards: the 1959 "Mysteries of the Deep," which he wrote, was nominated as best live action short, and the 2003 film "Destino," which he co-produced, was nominated as best animated short.

Despite his heritage, Roy Disney never got the chance to lead the company as his father and uncle had. But as an investor who grew his Disney stock into a billion-dollar fortune, he ultimately had a huge impact on the company's destiny.

In 1984, dissatisfied with the leadership Walt's son-in-law Ron Miller was providing, Disney resigned from the company's board of directors and sought investors to back a bid to install new management. (Miller was the husband of Diane Disney Miller, Roy's cousin.)

His efforts resulted in the hiring of Eisner and Frank Wells, who led the company as a team until Wells died in 1994.

During that time, Disney rejoined the board and rose to become the company's vice chairman and chairman of its animation division, where he helped oversee the making of such hit films as 1994's "The Lion King."

He also became a savvy investor over the years, forming Shamrock Holdings with his friend and fellow Disney board member Stanley Gold in 1978. The fund grew to become a major investor in California real estate, the state of Israel and other entertainment and media companies.

In 2007, Forbes magazine ranked him as the 754th richest person in the world and estimated his fortune at $1.3 billion. He was not on the list in subsequent years.

In his spare time he bought a castle in Ireland and indulged his passion for yacht racing, setting several speed records. For years he was a fixture at the Transpacific Yacht Race between California and Hawaii.

After years of dissatisfaction with Eisner's leadership and the company's lagging stock price, Disney and Gold resigned their board seats in 2003 and launched a shareholder revolt.

In his resignation letter, Disney called for Eisner's ouster, complaining that on his watch the company's standards had declined, particularly at theme parks like California's Disneyland and Florida's Walt Disney World.

"The Walt Disney Company deserves fresh, energetic leadership at this challenging time in its history just as it did in 1984 when I headed a restructuring which resulted in your recruitment to the company," Disney wrote to Eisner.

Initially rebuffed, Disney rallied small investors and enthusiasts who responded to his folksy complaints about peeling paint at the theme parks and his anger at being told he would have to leave the board because he was too old.

"One of the reasons for my leaving, other than the fact that they fired me, was that I saw that quality slipping away from us," Disney told a 2004 meeting of memorabilia collectors.

Slowly, Disney built support for his cause, and at the company's annual shareholders meeting in 2004 he received a standing ovation.

Shareholders eventually delivered an unprecedented rebuke to Eisner, withholding 45 percent of votes cast for his re-election to the board.

The chief executive was later stripped of his role as board chairman and announced his retirement in 2005, a year before his contract was up.

Disney initially opposed Eisner's successor, Robert Iger, but they reconciled and in 2005 Iger named Disney a board member emeritus and welcomed him back to company events.

Born in Los Angeles on Jan. 10, 1930, Roy Edward Disney was Roy and Edna Disney's only child. As an adult, he often wore a mustache, which gave him a striking resemblance to his legendary uncle.

After graduating from Pomona College in 1951, he briefly worked at NBC as an assistant editor on the "Dragnet" TV series.

After joining Disney, he worked on a series of live action short features, including "The Living Desert" and "The Vanishing Prairie."

Disney was also an active philanthropist, supporting the California Institute of the Arts in Valencia, a school founded by his father and uncle.

In 1999, he matched a gift from The Walt Disney Co. to establish an experimental theater space as part of the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. The theater was named the Roy and Edna Disney-CalArts Theater or Redcat.

In 2005, he pledged $10 million to establish the Roy and Patricia Disney Cancer Center at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank.

Default Re: It's raining guy who are famous for having a famous uncle

His uncle isn't what made him famous....it was his actions at the studio
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

a job he wouldn't have had if it wasn't for his uncle.

How many other family members of Disney can you name??? Many worked at Disney too...did that make them famous? No it did not
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

that is a horrible thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

what the fuck do you know?

We know that this thread title sucks and is disrespectful to a great man

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    "it's raining guy who are" is where the problem lies
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

how to properly formulate a sentence, ostensibly.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Roy E. Disney touched my privates on Space Mountain. It could of have been Roy D. Disney, but whatever fuck them both.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

He knows, at the very minimum, how to recognize a bad thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by caco0283 View Post
    We know that this thread title sucks and is disrespectful to a great man
    You know what, his father did a lot of great things for the company too, and still, the thing he is most famous for is being Walt Disney's brother.

ah shit, I didn't catch the typo.

"It's raining a guy who is famous for having a famous uncle" is what you wanted. What you typed is not a typo.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

You know what, his father did a lot of great things for the company too, and still, the thing he is most famous for is being Walt Disney's brother.
    I'm not going to argue with you cos I am biased on this topic and will let it drop cos I don't have it in me to argue with you.

actually, I was going for "It's raining guys who are famous for having a famous uncle". It was a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by caco0283 View Post
    I'm not going to argue with you cos I am biased on this topic and will let it drop cos I don't have it in me to argue with you.
    I'm not saying you are wrong, I was just trying to strip it down to its core. Sorry if I pissed you off.

who else died?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

actually, I was going for "It's raining guys who are famous for having a famous uncle". It was a typo.
    but is it not raining only one guy?
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

aren't these thread titles usually plural no matter what?

a search of 'raining' in thread titles indicates it's a mix. But your point (that sometimes plural is used to indicate only one death) is taken.

Quote Originally Posted by elChurro View Post
    Perry lives beneath the polo grounds. A ritual must be performed for his awakening but only after a band/dj/performance art cancellation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    Perhaps an appropriate conversation starter would have been: "pardon me sir, would you mind taking your finger out of your girlfriends asshole? We're trying to enjoy LCD Soundsystem."

who the fuck are you?

who the fuck are you?
    That be Bee the mother fucking second YO!!!

Head Freeze II
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

who the fuck are you?
    umm, who the fuck are you?
    Perry lives beneath the polo grounds. A ritual must be performed for his awakening but only after a band/dj/performance art cancellation.
    Perhaps an appropriate conversation starter would have been: "pardon me sir, would you mind taking your finger out of your girlfriends asshole? We're trying to enjoy LCD Soundsystem."

what, no cute picture for that one?

what, no cute picture for that one?
    you really need to be careful how you talk about me on the forum, i dont appreciate it. tone down the disrespect, i dont know where you're from but where i am from, we dont tolerate that. dont even reply to this, just keep your mouth shut. consider yourself warned.

Oh that's right, I'd forgotten about Bee and his violent threats.

Sup pussy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Oh that's right, I'd forgotten about Bee and his violent threats.

Sup pussy?
    you wanna throw down with me 'cause you think you're some big bad wolf on this site just 'caus eyou got what, fucking 4104 posts, you fukkin' as? You think that makes you somebody I wouldn't step on and scrape you off the bototm fo my fuckin' shoe, you little insignificant ass? I will rape your children until they cry for theyre mommy and then I will motherfucking pound your ass into the black hole of oblivion so suck on that and see hwo you like it