Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guns n' Roses aka Axl & Co.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: Guns n' Roses aka Axl & Co.

If 90 year old men are you thing...then umm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    It did happen.
    youtube has some funny audio of Nirvana talking about it during some benefit show
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    youtube has some funny audio of Nirvana talking about it during some benefit show
    Yeah, I just listend to that. Funny stuff. Kurt and Courtney started the whole thing by antatonizing Axl. They know he's a fucking nut case and out of the sky they decide to ask him to be the god parent and then laugh at him. Axl had no choice but to assume they were picking on him. Poor Axl.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Yes. Izzy was a bit more important. I think most people just like to repeat what they read and hear though. Rather than listen and see if it's decent, lets just dismiss it because the guy with the big top hat isn't part of it. The fact is he has capable musicians who are playing the music just fine. I wonder how many people if blind folded would be able to distinguish between Slash or Thal if they were blind folded at a show while Sweet Child O' Mine played. I remember when buckethead appeared on the MTV video awards, the crowd was so clueless they were convinced it was Slash up there.
    i dont think you get it. its not just about how it sounds. watching some other douches playing GnR songs is just fucking wrong. i dont care how talented they are, its still just a cover band. if you want to watch a GnR cover band, fine, but dont act like its the same thing as watching GnR.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm sorry, i must have opened a thread on the ozzfest forum, my mistake...
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    i dont think you get it. its not just about how it sounds. watching some other douches playing GnR songs is just fucking wrong. i dont care how talented they are, its still just a cover band. if you want to watch a GnR cover band, fine, but dont act like its the same thing as watching GnR.
    Calling them a cover band isn't exactly fair either. The guy who wrote and co wrote almost all of the songs and sings them all is still in the band as is the keyboard player which is why I put the aka in the title of the thread. So i'll agree it's not the same thing as watching Guns N' Roses in 88 or 92 but it's not like watching Austrailian Pink Floyd. You are actually seeing the person who created the music.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'm sorry, i must have opened a thread on the ozzfest forum, my mistake...
    BURN! Hand out some diss points.

The Australian PF usually show up on time for their sets. Axl can't say that ................. and I say that as someone who sat and sat and waited and waited for that lazy fucker to show up for their show in front of ~60000 people in '91.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Yeah but that's no different from how Axl was behaving on the Illusion Tour. He's always been an asshole, no one is debating that.

Yes. Izzy was a bit more important. I think most people just like to repeat what they read and hear though. Rather than listen and see if it's decent, lets just dismiss it because the guy with the big top hat isn't part of it. The fact is he has capable musicians who are playing the music just fine. I wonder how many people if blind folded would be able to distinguish between Slash or Thal if they were blind folded at a show while Sweet Child O' Mine played. I remember when buckethead appeared on the MTV video awards, the crowd was so clueless they were convinced it was Slash up there.
    I don't know. I played the YouTube video posted in this thread, and realized that the sound was kind of grating, although this used to be one of my favorite GnR songs. Then I pulled up a YouTube video from 1992 to compare it. Also listened to the original PV. My conclusion: Live, Slash adds something to the sound that is not there with the other musicians. Not sure if it's "soul" or just that the sounds are so much smoother... Anyway, I know just comparing YouTube videos is not the best method, as I don't know how the sampling or compression compares.

old school

this thread smells bad
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Calling them a cover band isn't exactly fair either. The guy who wrote and co wrote almost all of the songs and sings them all is still in the band as is the keyboard player which is why I put the aka in the title of the thread. So i'll agree it's not the same thing as watching Guns N' Roses in 88 or 92 but it's not like watching Austrailian Pink Floyd. You are actually seeing the person who created the music.
    with some bands, like pumpkins, where the singer was the main creative force, that would be a valid point. im not positive, but i just dont think axl contributed much musically besides the lyrics. from what ive heard, slash and izzy were the main contributors when it came to the musical side. thats why GnR was so great, i loved the way the lead and rhythm sections flowed together for so many bad ass riffs. without them, its just not GnR in my opinion.

and really, did you just include dizzy in your argument, like the fuckin keyboardist is worth a damn? LOL!
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

he looks like such a fucking fairy dancing around in that video from asia. does sound great though i must admit

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    he looks like such a fucking fairy dancing around in that video from asia. does sound great though i must admit
    he can't do the slithery frontman thing convincingly anymore, so his half assed hip swaying does look pretty lame
    '99-'11...

you know the album slash released after he left gnr, the "snakepit" shit? that is what he brought to axl and wanted to record for the follow up to the illusion albums. axl thought it was shit, which it was, and said "no". and then it was bye, bye slash.

That had to be some of the most unappealing cover art of all time. You can just tell that the album's going to suck.

GNR wont ever be or sound the same. axl is the problem. his attitude killed the group. no matter who he puts in the group the passion has been gone since 91. take look at bands such as the stones, the who ect their still around becuz of the passion they have for the music.
    Mick Jagger

Yeah, Mick has such passion for the music.

Lightbulb Re: Guns n' Roses aka Axl & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by WizardIsAboutToDie View Post
    Yeah, Mick has such passion for the music.
    He does
    Mick Jagger

Today:

Guns N' Roses' former guitarist Slash has revealed that he has turned down "seven, eight digit kinds" of sums of money to reunite with his old band at various times since his departure.

He said that despite the huge amounts of cash being put on the table for him to hook up with frontman Axl Rose – who is fronting the current incarnation of the band – he is still not interested in a reunion.

"I can’t remember exact numbers, but it’s excessive," he told GQ of the money on offer. "Oh, you know – seven, eight digit kinds of things."

He added: "I am a pretty realistic kind of person, and don't expend energy worrying, 'What if?'. If I hear great music we did together, I respect it for what it was and appreciate it. But I'm not like everyone else around the band who wants to somehow try to recreate it because there's so much money to be made."

When i saw Gnr in 06 , axel was late, someone got push into a firepit when the crowd was getting piss off for the wait ,axel came out crowd went wild put on a good show. Expect for all the solos that felt push down your throat.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Banned

They just kicked off their tour in Asia where they are playing open stadiums. They are doing Canada and S. American between January and March of 2010. Can they be gearing up for the N. America festival circuit? Would anyone in their right mind book them and trust they show up? Apparently Axl didn't make rehearsal for last nights Taipei show but the reviews coming in say the band is refreshed and energized as they kick off the first tour since the release of Chinese Democracy.

Axl is just like Prince when it comes to copyright so most of the vids have been removed. This one is still up because it's so far away you cant' really see but you can hear a little. I know i'm in the minority but I still have to see Axl play the classics live. I also didn't hate Chinese Democracy as most decided to do because of how ridiculously long it took to release.

FYI Axl was also in an altercation at LAX before his flight with some photographers and the band apparently rehearsed without Axl who was late arriving as well.
    Those were some really bad seats. I hope you got them for free or that's the view from your condo or something like that.

Man you had some shitty seats.

Hell yeah - that better be some Chicago Cub rooftop viewing or something.

Awful. You shouldn't be allowed to comment on a show you saw from the f'in Moon.

Get it done Chella lol
    Last edited by faxman75; 09-30-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Re-unite the original GnR crew for a headliner! If anyone can do it its Coachella
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

^^ Will never happen.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

So much for a dignified death for this thread.
    Fuck.

So it was Patton?

OMG no. Their old material is just that, old. Their new material is incredibly over produced and the guy that did most of the guitar work isn't even playing with them anymore. Axl is god awful, he has never been good. Slash made the band, and then booked it as soon as he got tired of Axls drama. Guns n Roses was a decent act to catch before the 90's. 20 years later its going to be billed as a headliner and be almost as terrible as Sly Stone.

If you want sick nasty guitar work, a much better idea would be to bring Buckethead for a nice afternoon slay in the mojave.

http://www.gunsnroses-livestats.com/

It's a pretty cool site that shows set lists, songs most played, venues and reviews from the recent tour.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Wow. They play Paradise City AND Welcome to the Jungle often in concert? Mind is blown.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.