Page 1 of 62 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lollapalooza 2010

10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Lollapalooza 2010

wow. that is pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Deadline was a month ago, nice catch...

Tell us who you’d put on next year's Lollapalooza lineup, happening August 6-8, 2010. Give us your Top 5 artists — monster headliners to bands we’ve never even heard of -- from rock to avant-garde, indie to hip-hop, and all the sounds in between. Speak up by November 10. We’ll collect all of your ideas, then see what we can make happen.

Oh lame.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

I said Beastie Boys....
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

You always say Beastie Boys.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

what was it the dude from goldenvoice said? they listen to what we say, but not the most loudspoken of us? I'm sure lolla has a similar kind of filter.

Ill probably be at Lollapalooza next year...its usually solid and fun...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I still submitted mine anyways. Miley Cyrus, Miley Cyrus, Miley Cyrus, Miley Cyrus, & Miley Cyrus.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I wonder if they were accepting negative votes? like if I had submitted "not beastie boys", it would have counteracted paulb's vote?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I wonder if they were accepting negative votes? like if I had submitted "not beastie boys", it would have counteracted paulb's vote?
    hahahahha
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Worst. Festival. Ever. Don't bother. I only go because it's right near my apartment, but I'd certainly never travel for it. Very poorly run and organized.
    Coachella 04 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 10 / Field Day Fest 03 / Electric Picnic 05 / Austin City Limits 07 / Lollapalooza 05 - 07 - 08 - 09 / Pitchfork 06 - 07 - 08 - 09 / All Points West 08

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by FakePlasticMe View Post
    Worst. Festival. Ever. Don't bother. I only go because it's right near my apartment, but I'd certainly never travel for it. Very poorly run and organized.
    I have my complaints but it's hardly the worst festival ever. For starters they always have a solid lineup. Tell us of your horror stories.

Bad Location. Sure it's the city center with stunning views of the Chicago skyline, which I understand is really cool for out-of-towners and all, but sooo many casual music fans go to this thing due to it's easily accessible spot. Festivals like Glasto, Coachella, etc. are a bit out of the way. You have to make a special effort to get there, and while sure those festivals have assholes too, Lollapalooza is littered with beer chugging fratboys who are just there to see Kings of Leon, even if they're not even playing. It's also August in Chicago, so the humidity is high and the sun reflects off the buildings and pavement, making it even hotter.

Geographical Spam. Remember that Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode where the pop up ads came out of the computer and physically took over the house? It's like that. Ads everywhere, beyond in-your-face corporate.It's like a Six Flags. There is a giant Lollapalooza blow-up entry way that has a recorded voice telling you the rules on repeat like Wally World. I believe one year they even had a photo guy making you pose for a picture then giving you a voucher.

Too large Lollapalooza is a mile long, but not very wide, and they insist on packing as many people as humanly possible in the place with 100 stages and side shows. You can't move or get away from the crowds and there are a ton of sound conflicts and crowd overflow. Back when it started in Chicago in 05 it was half the size (didn't extend north of Buckingham Fountain) and it was so nice. Too bad they had to ruin it.

Terrible, terrible scheduling. There are 2 main stages on opposite ends of the festival where they insist on scheduling bands at the exact same time with similar fan bases. You have to make a choice because there is no way to see partial sets due to it taking 20 minutes to walk to the other side of the festival.

...I could go on.

The lineup isn't always solid, in fact it's far from it. Sure they have some good headliners compared to other festivals where the smaller bands are the better draw, but the small acts here are usually AWFUL and again, the few good ones are all scheduled at the exact same time leaving you with a ton of downtime.
    Coachella 04 - 05 - 07 - 09 - 10 / Field Day Fest 03 / Electric Picnic 05 / Austin City Limits 07 / Lollapalooza 05 - 07 - 08 - 09 / Pitchfork 06 - 07 - 08 - 09 / All Points West 08

I've been the last two years and I have the same complaints as you but this is an urban festival and shouldn't be compared to the likes of Coachella, Bonnaroo , Sasquatch, Rothbury etc...

You can compare it to Austin City Limits, Outslide Lands, APW, Bamboozel, Bumbershoot etc... though.

The lineup the last two years was pretty packed from top to bottom. I don't recall many dull moments and just about every fest is going to have conflicts. Rage vs Wilco and Tool vs the YYY's are a couple that were tough but honestly the Lollapalooza conflicts weren't shit compared to the Bonnaroo conflicts. Anyway, I understand your point about not loving Lolla and like I said, I agree with almost all of what you said except the lineup which is always solid.

Then why do you go? I know this exhausted debate goes on all the time here but if you've really got such a problem with it, find something else to do that weekend. I went this last year, I had fun and was very pleased the festival in general.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by righteousdnk View Post
    Then why do you go? I know this exhausted debate goes on all the time here but if you've really got such a problem with it, find something else to do that weekend. I went this last year, I had fun and was very pleased the festival in general.
    some people aren't comfortable unless they have something to complain about.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Legit question. Either "worst festival ever" is an over statement or he loves torture. I go because it doesn't require much effort, i'm in town visiting people and it's very convenient to attend. I don't mind all the spam since it usually comes with some free stuff. I certainly don't let that ruin it for me. The bottlenecking in certain areas delays you but it isn't unbearable.

I guess I would disagree with him on the whole "bad location" aspect. It's a perfect location. Central and easy for anyone to get to even if you lived in the suburbs or NW Indiana. The train gets you there in 30 minutes. Chicago has amazing public transportation.

some people have legitimate reasons why they won't fly across the country again for a festival that isn't worth it.

I don't always go, and when I do it's for a day or two max. I haven't gone all 3 days since 07. As I said above, they do have awesome headliners from time to time. 07 was Daft Punk and Muse, 05 was Pixies and Dinosaur Jr., etc. 08 was Radiohead....it is 20 minutes from my apartment so of course I go to check out the stuff that does interest me.

I'm just saying I wouldn't go far out of my way to attend this if I lived elsewhere.

Faxman, did you really not find that the sound conflicts were overwhelming? That always bugs me more than anything else. Unless you're well up front, you can always hear the other stages very well.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Legit question. Either "worst festival ever" is an over statement or he loves torture. I go because it doesn't require much effort, i'm in town visiting people and it's very convenient to attend. I don't mind all the spam since it usually comes with some free stuff. I certainly don't let that ruin it for me. The bottlenecking in certain areas delays you but it isn't unbearable.

I guess I would disagree with him on the whole "bad location" aspect. It's a perfect location. Central and easy for anyone to get to even if you lived in the suburbs or NW Indiana. The train gets you there in 30 minutes. Chicago has amazing public transportation.
    I'm a she, for the record. =)

Eh I guess I just like festivals that require a cool road trip or camping out. It feels more special to me I suppose. I can completely see why people that don't live in the city of Chicago might enjoy it, but I'm just saying there are far better ones out there.

The bottlenecking and the casual music fans who talk very loudly during Radiohead are my only legitimate complaints. It's not the worst festival I've ever been to but it's far from the best. If it was in any other city though I probably wouldn't go, but Chicago is amazing and a decent lineup is what got me back this last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Faxman, did you really not find that the sound conflicts were overwhelming? That always bugs me more than anything else. Unless you're well up front, you can always hear the other stages very well.
    Honestly the only sound conflicts that got the point of annoying me were Band of Horses as they decided to play over Jane's Addiction. They played for a good 20-30 minutes into Jane's set and it was awful bleedover and I wasn't all the way in the back either. Fortunatley I didn't really care about seeing Jane's again as I already saw them 3 other times and it was the same set list and show each time.

Outside of that, I usually don't get much bleed over, at least not so much it ruins the set i'm enjoying.

I'm a she, for the record. =)

Eh I guess I just like festivals that require a cool road trip or camping out. It feels more special to me I suppose. I can completely see why people that don't live in the city of Chicago might enjoy it, but I'm just saying there are far better ones out there.
    Sorry about the "he" assumption. I agree. Destination festivals are much more fun and enjoyable than urban festivals.

It's people like this who annoyed the shit out of me throughout the weekend. Granted, I'm probably more irritable than many people. I took this before Thievery Corporation.

exactly Tommy it's the casual music fans just there to party because it's something to do that weekend that ruin it. Destination festivals you really don't have that shit, actually APW didn't really have that shit either come to think of it so maybe it's just Lolla
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

...but sooo many casual music fans go to this thing due to it's easily accessible spot.

Lollapalooza is littered with beer chugging fratboys who are just there to see Kings of Leon, even if they're not even playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    ...and the casual music fans who talk very loudly during Radiohead are my only legitimate complaints.

THIS is why i'll never make an effort to go to Lolla again. If i was in the area visiting or something, i'd consider going...but only if i was already there.

I couldn't stand the Radiohead crowd at Lolla a couple years ago. I was about to start goin nutz on all the talkers. half of the people around us weren't even facing the stage...they were looking away from the stage talking to their friends. ridiculous.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

YES that's my point here. There are SOOO many douchebags like beer bong guy at Lollapalooza. I remember at Daft Punk (and I was on rail, mind you, so it's not like I was far back) the crowd was so packed in (as expected) and this guy tries to push his way past me, which was physically impossible, and when I glare at him he tries to tell me his friend is a diabetic and he (and 2 of his other high fiving friends) needed to get to the front to give him a candy bar, haha. When I refused to move he spilled his entire beer down my back.

old school

people having fun at festivals bothers some? whats the point of going to any festival?

i thought it was pin drop silence for radiohead. sorry to hear that, sin. you will get talkers at every show. lolla doesn't bring it out any more or less than any other festival. the only show i ever noticed it in all my years going to lolla was at bon ivar this year. i moved away from them to a different spot. odd how that works.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Back to the complaining Gina?

And Mark, Fakeplasticme is a girl.