Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High blood pressure and pot.

Default High blood pressure and pot.

I am currently doing some reading and trying to find out about some of the effects. Positive or negative. Figure I'd bring it up here and ask.

Anyone have any experience with this? Does it raise it, lower it? I know temporarily it can, but for chronic smokers (me) this can go away. It is also know to lower BP with heavier usage.

That's about all I have right now. Can you all be so kind as to share your knowledge or experiences.

While getting my recommendation the other day, the Doc. asked me about my blood pressure. Said it was high. That i should go get it checked out by my primary care physician and go from there. Unfortunately, I don't have medical insurance anymore. So, uh, yeah. We'll see how this goes.

I also know I should watch my salt intake, get more fruits and veggies and exercise.

I'll be taking some of these measures even before I go to another doctor, cause, you know, it's a good idea anyway.

So yeah, any suggestions as to what to do and or the effects to your BP due to marijuana usage.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: High blood pressure and pot.

I know smoking cigarettes can increase your BP but that's just because of the nicotine and it binds at certain receptors that cause your veins/arteries to constrict. As far as pot, since it's bonding at cannaboid receptors, it's probably neutral with a chance of vasodilatory effect that could reduce BP, but certainly not to a therapeutic level.

I assume you're asking to make sure smoking pot won't make it worse rather than asking to see if smoking pot will help correct it, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I totally suffered from HBP and a panic attack last night from two hits of chronic and I smoke every day.

The panic attacks happen more frequently, but I kinda noticed how I probably have not been noticing the HBP. I hope that it has not been going on for so long that there is irreversible strain on my heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotequeThom View Post
    Shpongle Jedi flip if its a live set

High Blood Pressure is asymptomatic so nobody's going to "notice" it.
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post

I assume you're asking to make sure smoking pot won't make it worse rather than asking to see if smoking pot will help correct it, right?
    Exactly. Not trying to treat, just would rather not quit smoking pot. Like if I had Diabetes, I'd have to leave the potatoes alone. Yeah, I'm just gonna have to die. Pot, I can give up, but i sure as hell won't want to.

I think you're fine.

Are you a big fat guy? How old are you? How high is this blood pressure?

old school

You can't go to the doctor to check about your blood pressure because you lack medical insurance..... that is ridiculously silly.... You guys need more health care....

Go to CVS and get a free blood pressure test (they have the chair with the cuff and it does a free test), your gonna get high blood pressure from panicking about weed, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    You can't go to the doctor to check about your blood pressure because you lack medical insurance..... that is ridiculously silly.... You guys need more health care....
    No, no, I can do that. If I do have an issue that needs to be addressed, there arises a problem. That's when things start getting pricey, tests and meds.

lowfront
    Last edited by lowfront; 12-03-2009 at 11:00 PM.

About two years ago I went through a bout of high blood pressure. It was caused by stress, which caused a lack of sleep, which lowered my metabolism even more which made me gain weight which then made my blood pressure even higher, which made me sleep less (see a pattern?). I went from having low blood pressure all my life to being critically high in a few months period. My doctor put my on blood pressure meds and sleeping pills, after awhile of getting regular rest and not laying in bed for hours on end each night thinking about all the shit in my life my blood pressure went down. Which I didn't know so I continued taking the meds, which made it go too low at one point and I passed out (good times). I am no longer on either med and my blood pressure is back to normal, and even low at times.

Are you having trouble sleeping? I know you are under a lot of stress due to being unemployed and such. You need to go get it checked but one thing to possibly try if you are not sleeping well is possibly some over the counter sleep aids to help you get rested. I am not a big fan of those and prefer the ones the doc prescribes, less sluggishness in the morning, but I understand that might not be an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm in an addiction class now, and i think i remember reading that it's not good for your heart to drink & smoke, so maybe avoid that. i'll have to confirm when i get home. also, i hate to say it, but you're already smoking pot, right? so obviously it's NOT helping if you're going to the doc & getting a diagnosis of high blood pressure. have you tried abstaining?

conversely, i knew a girl that had dangerously high blood levels during pregnancy and if she puffed just once an evening, it made all the difference and her levels became normal. but that's probabably because she was ONLY puffing once a day after not puffing at all.

also, if you do need more sleep like loca suggested, try to get natural sleep. things like xanax, pot & sleeping pills don't allow you to have normal rem cycles and thus you're not really getting the sleep you need; you're just passing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I've heard that pot can raise your heart rate, but that's not necessarily the same as HBP.

maybe marooko is forcing his body to try to grow a measly mustache and it is straining his heart
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

I have really high-blood pressure - just started taking medication for it about six months ago. I'm 27, so I opted for the pills over trying to control it with diet and salt intake. You'll get kidney damage eventually if you don't get it lowered. Since this is something you may be dealing with the rest of your life you may want to look into getting your own blood pressure monitor. They start at around $75 or so. That way you could really put get some answers to your questions - get high and check your change in blood pressure immediately. Unless your hypertension is really mild you'll probably end up on medication anyways - mine is fairly cheap and doesn't have any noticeable side-effects. Biggest thing you'll have to worry about is getting enough potassium since the meds flush that out of your body along with excess salts. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Damn my ancestry. Sure, I look young, but that doesn't matter if I'm gonna die in 10 years.

Thank you guys for some of the feedback. I definitely need to sleep better, and some exercise wouldn't hurt. Already eat little salt, what else do I need to consider?

Young blood

driving really fast with your eyes closed.

Based on his posts, I think Pot probably has high blood pressure.

It's weird, I was searching on Google yesterday for the effect of cannabis on blood pressure. (Currently non-smoker) ...

I'm also trying to lower my blood pressure. At one point it was getting into actual hypertension, like 160/90. I was able to bring it down to about 115/70 by doing aerobics, going on a raw food diet, and losing 20lbs. However, after going back to a normal diet, it has climbed back up to around 135/85, which is not good, but not bad enough for me to want to mess with the medications that the doctor would be giving me. So I am looking for some other solution.

My father has a heart condition, and he is supposed to keep his blood pressure around 90/50. He has found there are some things that will lower the blood pressure more effectively than what the doctor will prescribe, with fewer side effects. I am currently starting to try several things, hopefully one will work for me. Of course, I know stress is one big factor!

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post

Having crabs VS High Blood Pressure???

Bug, where the hell is that?
    I don't deal with things that have more than 4 legs very well. That's insane!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I smoke pot every day and I have low blood pressure. Systolic ~100, although I eat tons of salt (but don't eat meat). I've always thought pot lowers blood pressure. It reduces stress, at least.. Even if it does, it probably won't help if you don't exercise and eat junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    Thank you guys for some of the feedback. I definitely need to sleep better, and some exercise wouldn't hurt. Already eat little salt, what else do I need to consider?
    Probably cut down on red meat?

Meow.Meow..Meow...

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'm in an addiction class now, and i think i remember reading that it's not good for your heart to drink & smoke, so maybe avoid that.
    As far as the cigarette smoking goes, though, that's a function of the nicotine, not just the act of inhaling smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    It's weird, I was searching on Google yesterday for the effect of cannabis on blood pressure. (Currently non-smoker) ...

I'm also trying to lower my blood pressure. At one point it was getting into actual hypertension, like 160/90. I was able to bring it down to about 115/70 by doing aerobics, going on a raw food diet, and losing 20lbs. However, after going back to a normal diet, it has climbed back up to around 135/85, which is not good, but not bad enough for me to want to mess with the medications that the doctor would be giving me. So I am looking for some other solution.

My father has a heart condition, and he is supposed to keep his blood pressure around 90/50. He has found there are some things that will lower the blood pressure more effectively than what the doctor will prescribe, with fewer side effects. I am currently starting to try several things, hopefully one will work for me. Of course, I know stress is one big factor!

I know stress is a HUGE part of it for me. I need to move more as well. Walk the dog, ride my bike. Sucks that it's cold out right now, but not too bad.

My dad also has heart problems, runs in his side of the family. Joy.
    Last edited by marooko; 12-05-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    After the first like 35 seconds, I got excited thinking I would see how crabs "did it," so I kept watching. Now my fucking blood pressure is sky high after remembering the time my brother dropped one of those crawdad things down the back of my t-shirt years ago, and, had that been me in that bed where the crab tried to cuddle with my foot, guaranteed...a linen change would have been necessary!

I know, it's probably weird to want to watch crabs fuck, but c'mon...they migrate all that way going sideways...can you imagine the possibilities during an amorous encounter? All the clawing and pinching? My God, I must google this immediately!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

... and there's Brokendoll, turning a crab migration as only she can into beastiality and bed-shitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I assumed it had something to do with sex. I refuse to click and see.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    I assumed it had something to do with sex. I refuse to click and see.
    No, Astrid's vid was only the migration. BUT...leave it to youtube to pull through. (Don't worry, crab sex isn't all it's thought to be! LOL)

Obviously, it wasn't enough, so I had to continue my hunt...(I won't post the vid of the wanking walrus, I promise!)